Do HID bulbs also degrade? Do better drop in replacements exist?

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have an 05 Prius with housing and lenses that are in good shape. It has the HID option and DR2 bulbs.

I notice lots of posts about upgrading halogen bulbs for better lighting and have always taken heed and purchased the latest and greatest based upon suggestions here.

However, I was wondering if:

A) These bulbs actually degrade just like halogen bulbs do over the course of 15 years.

B) There are better drop in DR2 bulbs available since 15 years have passed.

If so, I'd sure love to get the latest and greatest. If not, I'll just leave them alone.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
Yes they do degrade, but I can't say I remember the statistics. Someone will be along with your upgrade soon....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

BVH

Flashaholic
Can you provide an estimate of how many hours of actual use they have on them in 15 years? Est of weekly hours x's 52 weeks, x's 15 years? What brand are they? And lastly, if possible, how many "starts" - which might or might not be the same as total hours. Did you turn on the headlights twice for every hour of use or only once for every two hours of use are examples. HID forum might have been a better place for the post due to more HID knowledgeable people probably hang there.

Found this for you:

https://priuschat.com/threads/not-all-hid-bulbs-are-created-equal.101472/

Looks like your OEM's might be Philips which is a good thing

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hello,
I have an 05 Prius with housing and lenses that are in good shape. It has the HID option and DR2 bulbs.

Close, they're D2R. :)

HID bulbs' degradation is considerably greater than halogen bulbs. A "3000 hour" lifetime is commonly cited for automotive HID bulbs...at that hour figure the bulb is lucky to be putting out 70% of its original output, and less than that is common.

Another thing that happens as HID bulbs accumulate usage-hours is that their voltage requirement gradually grows, putting more stress on the ballast, igniter, and related control circuitry. The generation of Prius that you have is notorious for HID headlamp system failures, because it was apparently under-engineered by Toyota. Repairs are expensive, so heading them off by replacing the bulbs before they take out more costly parts is wise economics.

There are indeed better D2R bulbs available now. Get two of these for a nice boost in beam focus and reach. Take the opportunity to make sure the headlamps are aimed correctly (really correctly, with an optical aiming machine, not a "shine on the wall" guess-job).

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
Can you provide an estimate of how many hours of actual use they have on them in 15 years? Est of weekly hours x's 52 weeks, x's 15 years? What brand are they? And lastly, if possible, how many "starts" - which might or might not be the same as total hours. Did you turn on the headlights twice for every hour of use or only once for every two hours of use are examples. HID forum might have been a better place for the post due to more HID knowledgeable people probably hang there.

Found this for you:

https://priuschat.com/threads/not-all-hid-bulbs-are-created-equal.101472/

Looks like your OEM's might be Philips which is a good thing

I really can't. This Prius is new to me unfortunately. Thanks for the thread.

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
Close, they're D2R. :)

HID bulbs' degradation is considerably greater than halogen bulbs. A "3000 hour" lifetime is commonly cited for automotive HID bulbs...at that hour figure the bulb is lucky to be putting out 70% of its original output, and less than that is common.

Another thing that happens as HID bulbs accumulate usage-hours is that their voltage requirement gradually grows, putting more stress on the ballast, igniter, and related control circuitry. The generation of Prius that you have is notorious for HID headlamp system failures, because it was apparently under-engineered by Toyota. Repairs are expensive, so heading them off by replacing the bulbs before they take out more costly parts is wise economics.

There are indeed better D2R bulbs available now. Get two of these for a nice boost in beam focus and reach. Take the opportunity to make sure the headlamps are aimed correctly (really correctly, with an optical aiming machine, not a "shine on the wall" guess-job).

Reminds of PVC vs PCV. I used to think that idiots had it backward when I just had automotive skills. After I became a homeowner, both became interchangeable leaving the hardware store and auto parts store guys scratching their heads. :)

Thanks for the lead.

BVH

Flashaholic
Take the guesswork out and just buy the recommended new lamps above. Then you've done everything you can do to optimize and preserve the complete HID system.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I wouldn't even consider doing otherwise. This is why I come here. You all are phenomenal people.

I would bet with 15 years worth of use, you are likely down to even 50% of original Lumens output. Either at 70% or 50% you will notice the difference.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the car is 15 years old and you don't know if those are the original bulbs or when they were last replaced; just replace them so you know for sure.

And keep the originals for emergency spares, well protected in the glove box or elsewhere you will remember them.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
And keep the originals for emergency spares, well protected in the glove box or elsewhere you will remember them.
This might hold up in the case of filament bulbs, but except for manufacturing defects you shouldn't have a capsule failure without warning. It may be a sign you have bigger problems, like a ballast or igniter having failed. Not that keeping a spare or two is *wrong*, of course. Just seems to be less likely to be needed.

BVH

Flashaholic
I keep one in each vehicle. Don't want to be at the mercy of some auto parts or other store and pay a fortune for a replacement lamp to get me home.