ALL side clicky should have indicators when off.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think all side clicky lights should have indicators by default when the lights is off. I have a Supfire A2 and Olight S1A that I have a hard time finding the button at night.

How do you locate the side button quickly?

desmobob

Enlightened
How do you locate the side button quickly?

I use the location of the pocket clip at 180˚ to the switch. Some EDC lights like the Thrunite T1 and Wowtac H1 have buttons so small you'd be hard-pressed (yuk yuk yuk) to find them by feel alone.

My Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 lights have a button that's lit when off (only when using a 14500 battery) and I don't like it. It has too much drain for a light with a battery that small and it can't be turned off other than by locking out the light with a twist of the head. So, you have to use that light as a twisty and clicky. :( (Or, you can buy a replacement plain magnetic tail cap, so you are then paying extra to turn the clicky you bought into a twisty...)

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Biggest issue I have when using a maglite. Got to spin the dam thing 10 times before I find the switch.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's one of the reasons I avoid lights with side buttons. Lighting the button up is hardly an option because of the drain (and next thing you know, a few months later you wanna use the damn thing and it won't turn on...). One option is to use some sort of GITD material around the button or for the switch boot itself. Another is to have a brightly colored or very reflective bezel around the switch (which would make it easier to find but not in complete darkness). Another as already mentioned is to use the pocket clip as an indicator. That works for smaller lights, but for larger ones its often quite a useless exercise (that is if they even have a clip to begin with). I'll stick with rear switches.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nitecore Tiny Monster TM06s has a find me mode on the side switch. I'm not a big fan of this due to the power drain. I think a large enough switch to find or glow in the dark are better ideas. If you really want a nice solution to this problem, I'd like to see a light with a small tritium vial embedded in the switch.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite having side switches, I always turn the end cap to lockout the light after I use them. So whether I grab my Archer, TN4A or the TiS, I twist to activate. I only use the side switch to select the mode.

My Mag is only a 2D so there isnt much real estate to check for the button..whenever I actually use it.

desmobob

Enlightened
My Nitecore Tiny Monster TM06s has a find me mode on the side switch. I'm not a big fan of this due to the power drain. I think a large enough switch to find or glow in the dark are better ideas. If you really want a nice solution to this problem, I'd like to see a light with a small tritium vial embedded in the switch.

A tritium capsule in the switch would be a pretty cool option. I'd try it.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Lumintop EDC18 has an illuminated logo. I turn the head to deactivate when storing the light and twist it for the logo light before I pocket clip it.