8 AA batteries for CamPark trail camera.

panorain

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I bought a trail camera which can use 4 or 8 AA batteries. The camera manual states the following: "Instead of type LR6 AA batteries with the same specification with 2000 mAh or higher may be used. We recommend MiMh batteries with low self discharge". I bought a ReZap Battery Doctor second hand a while back and have been trying to charge some of my Energizer AA's and they seem to not last very long at all when I am trying to setup the camera for initial use. I have been reading about the Panasonic eneloop batteries and seen that Tenergy Centura AA's cost little over half the price of the eneloops. I have seen Panasonic eneloops recommended here but there are alot of other brands also. Has anyone tested the Tenergy or POWEROWL or Fugitsu makes?

Thanks for any opinions on this.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fujitsu NiMH's are good - Fujitsu makes the Japanese Eneloops. The cheaper Chinese made brands are not near as good.

panorain

Newly Enlightened
https://lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers UK.html

Have fun! FWIW the eneloop are loved here. I've had good luck with tenergy and surprisingly the silver energizer recharge. For any trail cameras however I use lithium primary. They just last longer in them for whatever reason.

Thank you for your replies. Is this battery on ebay similar to the lithium primary you speak of bigburly? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xeno-Energ...430299&hash=item1a7386139f:g:5TAAAOSwIApcUlqA

I notice this battery from Xeno-Energy is not rechargeable so how is battery life compared to general ni-mh batteries?

panorain

Newly Enlightened
I see because the energizer ultimate lithium is 1.5v. Do you have any thoughts about recharging these energizer ultimate lithium with the ReZap battery charger?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't do that. They are not rechargeable. They are just very high energy batteries.

Well the rezap is supposed to recharge alkaline batteries. I don't trust anything to recharge an alkaline and I'd love to actually test the thing. I was hoping someone would chime in on it.

Edit to add: don't put lithium in a rezap

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, don't charge Energizer lithiums or anything else on a rezap charger! Get some Japanese eneloops or fujiloops (Fujitsu NiMH) and a panasonic BQ CC17 smart charger and forget charging alkalines - give the rezap to someone you don't like.

panorain

Newly Enlightened
Can you suggest a charger that charges multiple sizes? I am interested in AAA, AA, C, D, 9 volt smoke alarm and lantern capable charger also. Is ReZap known for possibly having some issues in the community here? I have had some luck with it I think but not always. What will happen to the eneloops if I use the ReZap? Also do you know how to make certain the eneloops are genuine or how do you do this?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you suggest a charger that charges multiple sizes? I am interested in AAA, AA, C, D, 9 volt smoke alarm and lantern capable charger also. Is ReZap known for possibly having some issues in the community here? I have had some luck with it I think but not always. What will happen to the eneloops if I use the ReZap? Also do you know how to make certain the eneloops are genuine or how do you do this?

IIRC, the rezap is an old charger and predates smart charging technology which is what you need if you want your cells to last. Plus they are recommending charging alkalines, which means I wouldn't trust one of their chargers. Did they tell you that recharging alkalines only puts in a tiny percentage of the original charge and causes them to leak and destroy whatever you are using them in?

I don't know of a single charger that will charge all of those properly, but take a look at HKJ's charger reviews:

https://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellChargerIndex UK.html

The best way to avoid fake eneloops:

Buy from a reputable source.

Make sure they are made in Japan.

Buy Fujitsus low self discharge NiMH's instead (I haven't heard of fake fujiloops as of yet, though I'm sure they will get counterfeited eventually)

Buy from a reputable source.

BTW, you can get adapters to run AA's in place of C and D cells and adapters to run 4 D cells in place of 6 Volt lantern batteries.

Last edited:

panorain

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, don't charge Energizer lithiums or anything else on a rezap charger! Get some Japanese eneloops or fujiloops (Fujitsu NiMH) and a panasonic BQ CC17 smart charger and forget charging alkalines - give the rezap to someone you don't like.

Very interesting information. I have reviewed some of the literature on the HJK charger review site. the BQ-CC17 has a good review while the BQ-CC57, BQ-CC75 and BQ-CC65 not as good. The BQ-CC14 is USB. What do you think about the BC-CC16?

It looks pretty good for the BQ-CC17 being one of the good Panasonic chargers then I think. If you didn't recommend the BC-CC17 could I ask for any other suggestions you think may come close?

Thanks.

"Give ReZap to someone I do not like".............ahahahahhaha.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never used the CC16, but I have a similar fujitsu branded charger that I would say is a good travel charger because it is a fairly quick, but the CC17 is what I use all the time because it seems to maximize the life of the cells because it's slower.

I think the CC75 is pretty similar to the CC17 except that it has a USB output, either one should be fine.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided on the Panasonic CC17 charger.

Good choice.

Well the rezap is supposed to recharge alkaline batteries. I don't trust anything to recharge an alkaline and I'd love to actually test the thing. I was hoping someone would chime in on it.

Edit to add: don't put lithium in a rezap

I have recharged regular alkalines. It does work. HOWEVER:

First, there's about a 90% chance they will develop leaks within a couple of weeks after you charge them.

Second, you have to charge them well before they're fully drained; best is about when they are half-drained.

Third, they will only gain 20% capacity, and usually less.

Forth, you can only recharge them a few times, assuming they haven't already leaked.

I don't recommend it at all. Do it just for fun. And be very careful and do it very slowly. There is a chance that pressure can build up and they'll pop rather violently.

panorain

Newly Enlightened
Good choice.

I have recharged regular alkalines. It does work. HOWEVER:

Second, you have to charge them well before they're fully drained; best is about when they are half-drained.

Can I ask what you mean above because when I have used my ReZap Battery Doctor/Engineer. Website ----> https://rezap.com/product/rezap-battery-doctor/

With the ReZap charger you place an alkaline for instance AAA battery in for recharge and the battery space light starts flashing green. Sometimes though there is no light at all and occasionally I can switch to a different space try again and the charging light will flash and perform a charge until light is solid green.

I noticed in a couple instances that yes the alkaline batteries do not seem to last very long after a charge with the ReZap.

I really have to say though I think that the ReZap charger has really helped with 9 volt smoke detector batteries. I have used the charger quite a bit when I receive the annoying smoke detector beeps.

Can I ask what you recommend in a 9volt battery situation either rechargeable or alkaline or is it best to start a new thread?

Thank you all for your insight and I hope to hear more.:cool:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I ask what you mean above because when I have used my ReZap Battery Doctor/Engineer.

With the ReZap charger you place an alkaline for instance AAA battery in for recharge and the battery space light starts flashing green. Sometimes though there is no light at all and occasionally I can switch to a different space try again and the charging light will flash and perform a charge until light is solid green.

I noticed in a couple instances that yes the alkaline batteries do not seem to last very long after a charge with the ReZap.

I really have to say though I think that the ReZap charger has really helped with 9 volt smoke detector batteries. I have used the charger quite a bit when I receive the annoying smoke detector beeps.

I haven't used the rezap, but have used a charger that was designed for rechargeable alkalines. Though, it also worked for regular alkalines. I believe it just terminated at something like 1.6v. I have also used other chargers, with varying success. Okay, "success" is not really the right word, since alkalines are not really rechargeable if you don't want leaks.

Can I ask what you recommend in a 9volt battery situation either rechargeable or alkaline or is it best to start a new thread?

I use 8.4v Tenergy Centuras, and also some 8.4v Energizer rechargeables. I've also used other brands in the past. They are NiMH batteries, with 7 tiny cells in series. Nominal voltage is 8.4v, though they're about 10v when freshly charged. They work well in smoke detectors, and I recharge them twice a year to make sure they don't drain. The problem is that NiMH batteries will die very suddenly compared to alkalines, so it's best to make sure you charge them up on a regular schedule.

Overall, it's probably not worth it for 9v batteries. Alkaline 9v cell don't normally leak much.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the single best indicator of quality is COO
made in japan.
there are good china cells out there but too much chaff to deal with finding them.
btw the rezap is junk.
it was sold as an alkaleak charger.
thats a big FAIL!
does not recharge nimh worth a damn either.
btw i see a newer version.
if this is what you have it would be fun to test its claims.
which i can do if one were to find its way here.
likely "coming soon to a thrift store near you"

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
many of the siver energizers are oem by fdk japan.
tenergy were mostly bad other than 6 c nimh i got in a solar radio/lamp.
the aa were dead in 6 months
dead=high on c9000
https://lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers UK.html

Have fun! FWIW the eneloop are loved here. I've had good luck with tenergy and surprisingly the silver energizer recharge. For any trail cameras however I use lithium primary. They just last longer in them for whatever reason.

Latest posts