2002 Corvette headlight upgrade

stingroo

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I have a 2002 Corvette, and I LOVE the car... but I hate driving it at night. When I bought it, there were awful non-popup lights on it. I got rid of those after I found a proper set of pop-ups, and all was right with the world.... except they suck.

They currently have drop-in "LED" bulbs and night vision is abysmal. Now that we've "fallen back" and ruined our evenings, I'm doing more night driving and I realize that I hate it.

I've done a little bit of research but I don't know what to do. So many people beat the LED drum, but I have them now and they're awful. Some people talk about HIR bulbs, but I don't know which ones to buy (or if this is even a good idea).

So, CandlePower Forum, I come to you for advice. Help me see the light (pun definitely intemded).

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all
:welcome:

I have a 2002 Corvette, and I LOVE the car... but I hate driving it at night. When I bought it, there were awful non-popup lights on it. I got rid of those after I found a proper set of pop-ups, and all was right with the world.... except they suck.
By "proper set of pop-ups", do you mean you returned the vehicle to the factory configuration with factory parts?

They currently have drop-in "LED" bulbs and night vision is abysmal. Now that we've "fallen back" and ruined our evenings, I'm doing more night driving and I realize that I hate it.
I've done a little bit of research but I don't know what to do. So many people beat the LED drum, but I have them now and they're awful.
Those LED drop-ins are awful. And unsafe. And ineffective. And illegal.

Some people talk about HIR bulbs, but I don't know which ones to buy (or if this is even a good idea).
The HB4 to HIR2 swap for low beams can be a good idea for some vehicles, but I don't have the data for the '02 Corvette. For the HB4, the Philips X-treme Power wouldn't be a bad choice.

For the high beams, the HIR1, such as this expensive but good Toshiba, is a good upgrade. It does require a base modification.

Last edited:

stingroo

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

By "proper set of pop-ups", do you mean you returned the vehicle to the factory configuration with factory parts?

Those LED drop-ins are awful. And unsafe. And ineffective. And illegal.

The HB4 to HIR2 swap for low beams can be a good idea for some vehicles, but I don't have the data for the '02 Corvette. For the HB4, the Philips X-treme Power wouldn't be a bad choice.

For the high beams, the HIR1, such as this expensive but good Toshiba, is a good upgrade. It does require a base modification.

First question: Yes. Took me a year to find a set that wasn't $1000 because the Corvette tax is real. LOL

LEDs: Definitely awful. 0/10 do not recommend.

Phillips: I will have to try those!

Base modification: You mean the instructions I've seen where people clip the tabs to fit? I can handle that!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
"LED bulbs" don't work, period. Same goes for "HID kits". Doesn't matter what brand or what claims are made or what testimonials are put forward.

HIR2 (9012) bulbs produce a lot more light than any HB4 (9006), even the Philips X-treme. But regular HIR2 bulbs can't safely be used in C5 Corvette low beam headlamps (no blacktop on the bulb, no bulb shield in the lamp). Dan Stern has HIR2 +120 bulbs available with blacktop for safe/effective use in these headlamps, and he's got the good Toshiba HIR1 (9011) bulbs for a lower price.

The base modification instructions are illustrated here, and it is crucually important that the headlamps must be aimed correctly (really correctly, not a "shine on the wall and guess about the chalk marks" method).

stingroo

Newly Enlightened
I work at a car dealership - getting them aimed is a non-issue. We have the machine for that.

edit: I see the link you sent, that IS Dan's website. I will shoot him an email to get an idea of cost.

Last edited:

stingroo

Newly Enlightened
Update: HIRs arrived for the low beams - even without them being aimed yet (apparently, and I hadn't thought about this.... our aiming machine was lost in the fire we had at our service department recently), they are a massive improvement. They are definitely too low though. Been calling around to see who has a machine in my area, but no luck yet.

If it decides to not downpour tonight, I'll bring the car to my job and get some tape and do the DIY alignment at least to make it better.