Opinions for new duty light

Snulfur

Newly Enlightened
Greetings!

So I am currently in the need of a new duty light as the one I used got dropped too often (clumsy hands and poop holstering does that) and the other ones I've used don't really fit my criteria.

What I need from a flashlight is simple. Durability, ease of use, lightweight, no proprietary batteries, memory mode and a decent combo of flood/throw.
First light on my list is the Armytek Partner C2 Pro.
It's lightweight, rated to be very drop proof and seems to fit in the other things I want as well. It even comes in "warm" which I really like from the pictures/videos watched.

The second light is the Solarforce P1.
I absolutely love the design of it and with the P60 drop ins and what I assume is fairly easy lens repairs this is a light I'd really want, since being able to repair if something is broken is a huge plus.
I am just not entirely sure how well it works in reality. I've read some stuff that due to its polymer body that it can't handle heat well and put stress on the drop in. So if someone has more information on what drop ins I should consider please do tell.
I've currently looked in to the "Sportac P60 Dual Output Triple Nichia 219" and some KDLITKER drop-ins.

Of course I am open to suggestions if there are lights I've missed.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not easy for me to recommend a light, because I do not know all of your likes/don't likes. The two that you mention should do great. There are lots of others that you may have missed.

My main reason to post a reply to you is to say: Welcome to CPF! :welcome:

Snulfur

Newly Enlightened
It is not easy for me to recommend a light, because I do not know all of your likes/don't likes. The two that you mention should do great. There are lots of others that you may have missed.

My main reason to post a reply to you is to say: Welcome to CPF! :welcome:
Thanks! And yes, the flashlight world has shown me the insanity of it all. CRI, Lumens, Flood/Spot, size and so on. So MANY options!

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

Lots of Law Enforcement and security personnel carry a Surefire G2X Pro or Tactical. It's got a polymer body like the P1 you mentioned, but an Aluminum head so it can handle the heat. 15/600 Lumens with balanced flood/throw. It's got an Acrylic lens which will not break easily. It's a very tough, lightweight light and super simple to use (rear clicky with momentary function. Alternates from low to high). It's got no memory function, which I personally consider a good thing. Last thing you want in a critical situation is a high when you actually need a low. This is of cause irrelevant with the tactical version as it's a single-mode 600Lm. There is also the Max-Vision version which is much more floody as well as the G2Z which can be held in a syringe grip to be used with a pistol. There are aftermarket Drop-ins available for the G2X if you ever want to change it in the future.

G2X is relatively affordable at 75$ compared to most of Surefires other offerings, and you get Surefires Lifetime warranty and a made in US product. All of them take either 2Xcr123 or a single 16650 rechargeable Li-Ion will also work.

It's a light that had proven itself in this sector, so that's my suggestion.

Snulfur

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF.

Lots of Law Enforcement and security personnel carry a Surefire G2X Pro or Tactical. It's got a polymer body like the P1 you mentioned, but an Aluminum head so it can handle the heat. 15/600 Lumens with balanced flood/throw. It's got an Acrylic lens which will not break easily. It's a very tough, lightweight light and super simple to use (rear clicky with momentary function. Alternates from low to high). It's got no memory function, which I personally consider a good thing. Last thing you want in a critical situation is a high when you actually need a low. This is of cause irrelevant with the tactical version as it's a single-mode 600Lm. There is also the Max-Vision version which is much more floody as well as the G2Z which can be held in a syringe grip to be used with a pistol. There are aftermarket Drop-ins available for the G2X if you ever want to change it in the future.

G2X is relatively affordable at 75$ compared to most of Surefires other offerings, and you get Surefires Lifetime warranty and a made in US product. All of them take either 2Xcr123 or a single 16650 rechargeable Li-Ion will also work.

It's a light that had proven itself in this sector, so that's my suggestion.
I guess it's worth pointing out that I live in EU and work in security where we don't use guns, a metal stick is all I get. The flashlight is mostly used around building and such.
And since I use the flashlight a little bit more I do prefer a minimum of a 18650 battery, else I'd probably get a Surefire.
Also thanks for the welcome!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire 6PX and G2X models have sealed heads. You can't change out the l.e.d.s with a drop-in like the more basic 6P and G2. I think we are past the point of drop-ins making sense since you can get a 4000+ lumen single cell 21700 light for around $90 by Nitecore or Klarus. Drop-ins will limit you to around 600 lumens, maybe 1500 for a multi emitter or turbohead. Look at Nitecore E4K ($90), Klarus G15 ($90), Klarus XT21X ($120), Nitecore i4000R ($120) (25% off on Nitecore lights at batteryjunction com this month).

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads are glued with Loctite epoxy from the factory. Warm water/hot air can soften the epoxy and with enough torque you can get the heads off no problem if one so wishes. But you are right that the G2x and 6Px do not use P60 style drop-ins, and therefore one cannot change it. Thats my bad, I just read up on it. Must have confused it with the G2. My recommendation still stands tho.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original Surefire G2 does not have an aluminum head for heat sinking and has an incandescent bulb. If you want to go that route, get the G2L version (has 120 lumen l.e.d. drop-in) or you'll likely cook your drop-in. Going that route, you'll probably end up buying another drop-in as the Surefire one uses a 10+ year old l.e.d.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
My pick is a Malkoff Devices M91T (with the high/low ring installed) on an MD3 body (3 cell length) powered by two 18500 rechargeable batteries.

You can also use 3 CR123's in this setup. Perfect size for belt carry. Fits in your back pocket as well. Runtime: 85 min on 18500's. 45-50 min on 3xCR123's.

Additionally, if you wanted a longer runtime you could use 2x18650 rechargeable batteries in a MD4 body (4 cell length). You could also use 4 CR123 batteries in this setup. Runtime, a whopping 2.75 hours on two 18650's.

I like the Bianchi Accumold Elite holsters sized for Surefire 6P/9P 1' body lights. Bezel up carry. Takes up little real estate on your duty belt.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings!

So I am currently in the need of a new duty light as the one I used got dropped too often (clumsy hands and poop holstering does that) and the other ones I've used don't really fit my criteria.

What I need from a flashlight is simple. Durability, ease of use, lightweight, no proprietary batteries, memory mode and a decent combo of flood/throw.
First light on my list is the Armytek Partner C2 Pro.
It's lightweight, rated to be very drop proof and seems to fit in the other things I want as well. It even comes in "warm" which I really like from the pictures/videos watched.

The second light is the Solarforce P1.
I absolutely love the design of it and with the P60 drop ins and what I assume is fairly easy lens repairs this is a light I'd really want, since being able to repair if something is broken is a huge plus.
I am just not entirely sure how well it works in reality. I've read some stuff that due to its polymer body that it can't handle heat well and put stress on the drop in. So if someone has more information on what drop ins I should consider please do tell.
I've currently looked in to the "Sportac P60 Dual Output Triple Nichia 219" and some KDLITKER drop-ins.

Of course I am open to suggestions if there are lights I've missed.

Surefire EDCL2-T or a Klarus XT11GT

The Surefire has a two stage twisty tailcap that gives you access to 5 lumens on initial press and 1200 lumens by pressing harder.

The Klarus has a dual tailswitch design in which the primary one goes to max output always and can lock on like a normal forward clickie or press the paddle switch for instant low or strobe depending on how it's set up, or change outputs when the light is already on. It also has a third button on the side of the head that can turn it on in the last output used or change modes. There is also a built in micro-usb port for recharging the high drain cell it comes with.

Snulfur

Newly Enlightened
My pick is a Malkoff Devices M91T (with the high/low ring installed) on an MD3 body (3 cell length) powered by two 18500 rechargeable batteries.

You can also use 3 CR123's in this setup. Perfect size for belt carry. Fits in your back pocket as well. Runtime: 85 min on 18500's. 45-50 min on 3xCR123's.

Additionally, if you wanted a longer runtime you could use 2x18650 rechargeable batteries in a MD4 body (4 cell length). You could also use 4 CR123 batteries in this setup. Runtime, a whopping 2.75 hours on two 18650's.

I like the Bianchi Accumold Elite holsters sized for Surefire 6P/9P 1' body lights. Bezel up carry. Takes up little real estate on your duty belt.
As much as I'd love to get myself a Malkoff it's simply too expensive to buy for me. I live in Sweden so that will be flashlight + 55$ shipping + import fee which becomes somewhat costly when I am now around the 200$ range.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes, the government's share of everything you bring in...

I'd like to add an Olight M2T or M2R to my recommendations above. The original versions, not the newer M2R Pro. Although it has some advantages to it. The original M2R/T are nice compact lights, just a few mils shorter than a Surefire 6P. The M2T can use any 18650 you put in it. May not give you the full 1200 lumens but it will still work.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I'd love to get myself a Malkoff it's simply too expensive to buy for me. I live in Sweden so that will be flashlight + 55$ shipping + import fee which becomes somewhat costly when I am now around the 200$ range.

Shoot Cathy a Mail asking for the shipping price. If the order is less then 1 pound in weight they will ship it for 20$. I dont know how much a MD2/3 weighs exactly off-hand, but it shouldn't be half a kilogram. Just a consideration.

prof student

Enlightened
Hands down....on a budget.............the Fenix TK09 2016!

Now, the fact that you live in Sweden obviously does create a problem to get most lights that are affordable stateside.

Its a discontinued light, but 1 of the Fenix authorized dealers in the US has it discounted for $50...but with their 20% coupon = $40!!!!!!!!! I bought mine new 3 years ago or so, for ~$70ish, i think.

It can run off of CR123 primaries AND 18650!

EDIT: here is the link https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/tk09-fenix-flashlight/

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes.
2x18500 is the approx the same length as 3xCR123's. The flashlight was designed to utilize either power source.

prof student

Enlightened
Really budge friendly are the Convoy flashlights.

They only accept 18650 or larger batteries. NO primaries. He doesn't use drivers that can handle the higher voltage.

I am looking at a few. But if you're looking at a light for security, depending on what size you need, the S11 with the Cree XHP50.2 or Luminus SST40 LED seems like a good one to start with.
Plenty of YouTube reviews on Convoy flashlights.

Snulfur

Newly Enlightened
For now I'm going to give the Solarforce P1 a try together with a 600 lumen drop-in. The idea is to basically have something along the line of a Surefire G2X but with a 18650 battery.
If that does not work properly due to heat issues I might get another P60 host a try.
I've found after some thinking that what I want is a light around 600 lumens, it is not too bright for up close targets and gives good range. But there are very few flashlights that I've found that offers 600-ish lumens with a layout that I want.