what to do with used traction batteries

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've just had a set of batteries given to me (if I want them). Sort of a solution in need of a problem.

Set came from a 'tug' used to move things around.

Interstate batteries
4 packs of:
6, 2 volt cells in a pack of 12v, 270AH, 320#

So basically a 48v set @ 270AH, weighing 1280 pounds. Each pack has lifting spot on the case.

They are at 70-80% of new capacity. Hate to pass on them... but have NO idea of what to do with them. I _do_ have the equipment to load/unload/move them and charge them.

Thought about selling but I can't find a market. Would give them away, but can't find a taker.

Ideas???

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I agree with Lynx_Arc. That's ~10 kW-hr of capacity if they're maybe about 75% as good as new. Perfect for a solar setup.

Chemistry? I'm assuming LiFePO4 which makes them even more perfect to use with solar power. Also, it might be possible to recover some of the lost capacity. Read this. I'm actually in the middle of an ongoing experiment doing exactly this with some ~15 year old 26650 LiFePO4 cells. It actually works. It's just a matter of finding out how much capacity I'll eventually recover.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a quick way to get rid of them, while hopefully making a buck or two. Might just sell for scrap.

The pack cost $6800 when new.

They are not golf cart size. Golf carts are L-16, these are 2 volt individual cells.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am guessing they are lead acid batteries if they are semi decent maybe they could be harnessed for a backup battery for computers. You could find a computer store maybe they would know a customer than has a backup system that could make good use of them.

turbodog

Flashaholic
They were comprised of 2v individual cells, but the cells had a lead bar between them. If they were connected with cabling I would have picked the 6 best cells and made those into a pack.

Poppy

Flashaholic
They were comprised of 2v individual cells, but the cells had a lead bar between them. If they were connected with cabling I would have picked the 6 best cells and made those into a pack.
I guess it is too late to ask for a picture?

I have to laugh at the thought, that sometimes the solution is a bigger problem than the problem it presents.

Years ago my best friend's father said to me (speaking about the shed he had in the back yard.) "The problem with having room to store stuff, is the more room you have, the more stuff you store. Then you find that you have a single door hinge, and you create a project so that you can USE that hinge." Chuckle... "Life would be easier, to just throw away that hinge." :)

Honestly my first thought for use was solar.
My second was "scrap"
with additional thought (because scrap was so obvious) perhaps golf carts.

turbodog

Flashaholic
YZx914W.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
They are separate 2v cells with a bus bar bridging them. That's a 5 gallon water bottle sitting on top...

If I had kept them, I would have picked the best 6 cells from the whole set and assembled one 12v group. But the bus bars are welded in place.

I have dealt with solar before. You find that those 2v cells are connected by terminals and wiring, not welded solid lead bars. You can see the bar on the second from left group.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
yup it`s pretty much how an ordinary car batt works except you can`t see inside those, they have lead to join the 2v cells as well but it`s all covered up.

Poppy

Flashaholic
WOW! They are huge! I was wondering about that bottle, I couldn't tell it was a five gallon.

So I guess that they are placed inside of a carrier box?
And except for the fact they are fused/connected together with the lead bars, each 2V cell could stand on it's own.

If that's the case, that's why God created a sawzall. You could cut the lead bars to separate them, Place the ones you want to keep into the outer holder, and then melt lead to re-solder the lead bars together.

At this point it is all academic discussion.