Malkoff        
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sofirn C01 for 2020

Default Re: Sofirn C01 for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
    As for page 16, nobody reads any more. (Trying to be funny)
    LOL... so true :-)

confusion would be reduced if people would post more photos, that are correctly labeled with the actual model number (I edited the following photo to add labels):

fwiw, None of those is a C01, and none use 5mm LEDs
    there is a C01R (with 3 modes), and the other Three are C01S (with two modes)

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    I edited the table from Post 16 by adding black and red ovals:
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    To clarify things in case anyone is confused, the C01 family consists of 3 models, but there have been multiple editions of each.
    tangent, for those seeking an Amber or other color, who dont do their own mods:

pic is a link.. these use XP-E2 LEDs, like the first run C01R
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-19-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    well I`m reliably informed that "Around the base of the 5mm led, in a groove, is a o-ring to waterproof the interior of the head.".
    To Me this is a really unusual light, I`v never come across anything like this before, so to me it`s kinda quirky, I`v had plenty exposed 5mm led lights in the mid 90`s (usually with a CR203 battery), but never one in a tube, even the 9x 5mm lights from back in the day had a push fitted plastic lens.
    This kind of light actually used to be quite common before high power LED's became dominant.

The keychain lights with a CR2032 battery are just the beginning. The Arc AAA and Fenix E01 are iconic AAA-powered lights, with the latter being the inspiration for the Sofirn C01. There were numerous similar lights that never matched those two in their respective time periods: Sunwayman R01A, Nitecore T0, and Klarus Mi02.

The CMG/Gerber Infinity was an AA-powered light. The Inova X5 clustered 5 such LED's together with a pair of CR123A cells. And quite a few headlamps, including a PrincetonTec I used to own were made with clusters of 5mm LED's.

Lastly, the definitive thread regarding durability of this style light is here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ight-Challenge

20 hours in a rock tumbler was followed by a cycle through the dishwasher to clean the participants up again, and some time in the toaster to dry them out.

The rock tumbler only killed one of them, so then it was on to throw them against a brick wall over and over again, and then finally, to drop test 2 of them from the 3rd story of a parking garage.

It seems to me the 018 C01 (with Yuji) was devised to be the answer to a number of issues about the iconic E01. The beam pattern (C01 was floody eliminating the ringy E01 beam), the tint was improved (the blue/purple-ish E01 where C01 could be had in a nice neutral or warm), the C01 tailstands better, has a spot for a magnet and a trit that the E01 lacked along with a clip that could be used as a shirt pocket or ball cap fastener.
    The E01 was a classic in its own right with thousands upon thousands sold where the Yuji C01 was a nifty project with a limited quantity.

I'm looking forward to the Sophia clad C01 to see how it stacks up against the Yuji version. And even though the C01 is quite a nice little light, there is something about an ARC or E01 that is just plain
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-19-2020 at 07:58 PM.
    John 3:16

My shipment of 2020 C01"s came in today...just a few pics for those interested. The Sophia has a great tint and CRI. It compares well with my 3500 219b R080 and to me, every bit as nice has the 2018 Yugi. Just very very nice...They shipped much faster than I had expected so that was a nice surprise...

Not to worry, the LED is buried down there underneath a fairly hefty dome.

Trit slot and magnet recess.

Nobody asked me but if someone did, I'd say that this iteration of the c01 is a stellar bargain!

The only thing I can give a negative to is the red one. It has the red LED in it and has a weird, misshapen, squarish beam shape...no experience with red light so maybe this is normal?
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

JohnnyH, thanks for the great pictures and sharing your thoughts! I'm glad the tint made a good impression on you.

Regarding the red, the beam profile has been an open question at one of the other forums. An earlier prototype had a bad beam, but it sounds like Sofirn was looking for other options for a deep red emitter. It sounds like they might not have found one. Regardless, I think most people ordering them were just planning to sand or scotchbright the emitter to diffuse it if the beam was not satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    JohnnyH, thanks for the great pictures and sharing your thoughts! I'm glad the tint made a good impression on you.

Regarding the red, the beam profile has been an open question at one of the other forums. An earlier prototype had a bad beam, but it sounds like Sofirn was looking for other options for a deep red emitter. It sounds like they might not have found one. Regardless, I think most people ordering them were just planning to sand or scotchbright the emitter to diffuse it if the beam was not satisfactory.
    Thanks! I was already thinking about how I could get some dc-fix in there to diffuse that beam...I just might try sanding/scotchbrite. It sure needs something! Could be that (maybe) mine is not the norm and I just got a dud...I guess we’ll see as they get into the hands of more users.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Glad to see these are winding up in people's hands. As others have already said, have no fear that this thing doesn't have a lens. After well over a decade of use of an Arc AAA a Fenux E01 a CMG Infinity, etc I can tell you, there'll be no issues because it lacks a lens.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    The only thing I can give a negative to is the red one. It has the red LED in it and has a weird, misshapen, squarish beam shape...no experience with red light so maybe this is normal?
    it is a known issue with the 5mm Red C01

however, the C01R has an excellent beam, and 3 modes, so I recommend that model, for Red.

Default Sofirn C01 for 2020

Here's a some beam shots...manually adjusted white balance to attempt an accurate depiction of the real thing. Not sure if you can see it here but when viewed live, the Sophia has a smaller, more intense hot spot and looks to be a slightly cooler than the 4000k Yugi...

The 660 Red is...deformed! misshapen! hideous!...not right. Edit: PIC is mis- labeled as “670”...it should be “660”
    Last edited by Johnnyh; 11-20-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Flashaholic*

I wonder if the Sofirn is as good battery vampire as the e01?

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    yes it is (click those words for the full details)

the Fenix and Sofirn are so identical that you can even lego the heads

===
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtechstef
    Focus of this thread
    The Sofirn C01: a single 1.5V cell AAA twisty with 5mm high CRI LED; co-creation between BLF community and Sofirn; commemorative clone of Fenix E01 and Arc AAA; cockroach light.

- true battery vampire which also works with on a drained battery with a voltage lower that 0.9 Volts
    - long runtime (first regulated, and with depleted battery also long unregulated runtime) (design goal is at least the runtime of a Fenix E01)
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-20-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Interesting, the Yuji looks like a warmer color temp than the Sophia in that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    the Yuji looks like a warmer color temp than the Sophia in that pic.

correct, it was mislabeled.. I fixed it:

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    correct, it was mislabeled.. I fixed it:
    What the...? Thanks Jon, I just went by the label I had written on the box..not sure why I had that on there...? Yes, the 2018 C01 was available in 5600k and 3200k. Pictured is the 3200k.

Order shipped 11/11 and got it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    deformed! misshapen! hideous!...
    excellent photo, it is labelled correctly, the 5mm Red IS 670nm. It does indeed have a FrankenBeam. Not unlike the Fenix E01... Some people find beam imperfections, endearing.. Im not one of them.

I recommend the C01R intead of the C01 Red 5mm

the C01R has a much cleaner beam, and more useful modes
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-20-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vemice View Post
    Order shipped 11/11 and got it today.
    Picture
    I'm guessing the brown one is what they call desert tan? Did your confirmation email say "black"?

I ordered 2 but the email said black. If they send brown that'll be fine with me. If they send black that's ok too, but I'll remove the finish on one to have a raw alluminum one to be easier to find on the bedside table in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    One way to find out. I know that's the 1st thing I'll be trying when I get mine.

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

I purchased 2 of each, with the intention of putting one when set away for safe keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    One way to find out. I know that's the 1st thing I'll be trying when I get mine.

I've been using a yuji one for about a year a few minutes nearly every night with the same battery. I ran a yuji in a aa minimag for 3 days non stop with old batteries and it was still going when I turned it off. So if the sophia version is like the yuji version that's a good indicator it can be used with a battery that won't even run a wall clock. (I just stuck one in the yuji version a bit ago that would not power a wireless mouse anymore and the light lit, albeit it dimmly.)
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-21-2020 at 06:44 AM.

apparently the current drain is 65ma on the Sophia version.
    I must admit, it seems a Lot brighter than the 7-8 lumen figure that was going around, it looks at least double that to me.

These look pretty sweet. Where are you all buying these from?

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post

Sofirn's own website or AliExpress. Amazon has the C01S.
    Last edited by troutpool; 11-21-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Got my C01R’s. Beam and levels are great. For $10 it’s hard to beat for a deep red light.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Potting summary:
    potted 2020 C01 colors:

black

green

red

NOT potted 2020 C01 colors:

orange
    brown
    blue

NOT potted 2020 C01R body colors
    red
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-21-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post

Potting summary:
    potted 2020 C01 colors:

black

green

red

NOT potted 2020 C01 colors:

orange
    brown
    blue

NOT potted 2020 C01R body colors
    red
    Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I'm guessing the brown one is what they call desert tan? Did your confirmation email say "black"?

I ordered 2 but the email said black. If they send brown that'll be fine with me. If they send black that's ok too, but I'll remove the finish on one to have a raw alluminum one to be easier to find on the bedside table in low light.

Email said Desert Tan but I figured it would be brown. i

Thanks for the reply

just received the sophia and the red C01...

all multi-mode Sofirn on Low mode...
    changing sigline ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast