ArmyTek        
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sofirn C01 for 2020

Default Re: Sofirn C01 for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Forgive what Iím sure is a complete noob question but where do people buy the tritium tubes and magnets that fit this tailcap?

I got my magnets on eBay, just look for 5mmx3mm neodymium, it was only pennies for 10 of them

Not to beat a dead horse, but I really wish these were potted. I would have paid double the price. I think we're going to continue to see durability issues because of it.

You can't tell me that a non-potted head is as durable as one that has it. Unless I read it wrong, that video is with one that has a potted head, which makes the video entertaining, but basically a test of a different product.

Since I can't change things, I'm hoping for the best with this offering. The price is affordable, but the wait sucks.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

for anyone that may be interested; I`v been running an Old alkaleak (about 5 years old) that was taken out of a remote control and put it in my C01 Sophia. It`s been running now for the last 25 hours, it`s about half the lumens than it was when I started but still perfectly usable light (about the same as a tealight candle).
    I was curious about what you might expect from it in a SHTF scenario and you had to go getting batteries out of things you find because there`s none in the shops or whatever. I know I`m pushing my luck using a Vintage alkaleak, but it wouldn`t really be a fair test otherwise and I have a bottle of Vinegar on standby just in case!

Cool.
    I was going to try that when mine arrive. I have a battery that would not fire a computer mouse but did provide a wee bit of light from the yuji C01. But now I can toss it.

Thanks for your sacrifice. lol
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I really wish these were potted. I would have paid double the price. I think we're going to continue to see durability issues because of it.

You can't tell me that a non-potted head is as durable as one that has it. Unless I read it wrong, that video is with one that has a potted head, which makes the video entertaining, but basically a test of a different product.

Since I can't change things, I'm hoping for the best with this offering. The price is affordable, but the wait sucks.

Jon's evaluation the black & green Sophia's come potted
    My recent order includes those colors

The non potted versions are sealed, at least my samples are glued. Heat gun might work to soften the cement, but care must be taken with C01R since the optic is plastic. For that reason I have not attempted to open it up

I understand your preference for potting.

black and green C01 are potted.

fwiw, there are two videos, one is a potted light, one is unpotted, both lights are equally resistant to being thrown at the ground, repeatedly..

this video is of a NON potted C01

for the unpotted orange, blue, and brown C01
    Here are options for products to inject our own potting:
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-26-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    WTB Lumintop AAA Copper Tool. Also wtb Olight i3s prefer purple.

Flashaholic*

Thanks for link..

Urethane potting solution looks like good stuff. Although I would think thinner material will work easiest in smaller compartments

McMaster-Carr is a good source for special size and composition orings. If you don't mind large quantities
    Last edited by knucklegary; 11-26-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Now is the time that cell is going to start thinking about dumping all over the insides of your light.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothybil View Post
    Now is the time that cell is going to start thinking about dumping all over the insides of your light.

Very possible, but I am keeping it Upright to help mitigate any damage to the PCB, anyway.... at 36 hours it was noticably lower in output again, but enough to read in the dark with the light about 18 inches away from the book, Now at 44 hours you`de need to be about 6 inches from the book to read.

is the fenix EO1 potted? I ask because of its durability.

45.5 hours in and I`m calling it, the light is just barely visible now and completely useless for anything practical.
    There`s also been no leakage at all YAY!!!
    Tip: if you want to keep the light going for the longest time, do NOT turn it off when it gets really low, the cell voltage drops too low to fire up the driver again when reinserted, this dead cell now reads 0.46V and wont fire up the driver at all now.

Quote Originally Posted by Batang Regla View Post
    is the fenix EO1 potted?
    yes, but the Fenix E01, it is no longer in production, and it had a Low CRI LED

as far as durability, that is a vague term and imo potting does not have a noticeable effect on the function of the light.. I posted two videos, one of a potted light and one of a non potted light. Both lights survived getting thrown on the ground repeatedly.

In any case, if you want a Potted C01, buy the Black, Green, and Red ones, they are potted.

Kinda late to the party here. My first order arrived today. It went as well as expected. Place order, see email same day that says order shipped. Watch it for a week stuck in China, then a couple of days enroute to US shores. Then bounce from post office to post office warehouse in about two days. All told 11 days aint bad at all.

My second order aint going quite as fast. It was a week before it said shipped. It's still in some place that starts with Y. But that's ok, I got the blue one in time for Mrs Fixers birthday.

I had some low fuel batteries waiting. They would not fire a regulated light but two out of three fired the blue C01. So they were set aside for the time being and it got a new Rayovac.

I grabbed my Yuji version and compared to the Sophia. I noticed the Sophia was a bit easier to twist than the Yuji. Looking at the o'rings the Sophia comes with a smaller one than the Yuji but in the package was a thicker one with a thin one and a split ring for attaching to a key ring. Frankly I prefer the operation with the thinner o'ring for night stand use. If it travelled on my car keys I'd opt for the thicker o'ring.

I really never dug on the Nichia 319b style hint of rose red in the Yuji so I was glad to see the Sophia is more like the 319c. The Sophia has a bit more defined spot while still providing a genorous spill. Now at 2am I may prefer the near pure flood of the Yuji when light hits shiney porcelan objects, ceramic tiles and semi-gloss paint of the bathroom. I'll drink an extra glass of H2O tonight to ensure the 2am nature call occurs this night.

I also noticed the split ring that came with the Sophia is a bit softer than the Yuji version. To fasten the one to the Yuji light I had to stick a small screw driver in the groove to pry it wide enough to fasten to the light. But the one(s) that arrived today could be fastened without a tool. Yet it was still rigid enough to not stay spilt apart from the rest of the ring.

Threads are nice and there was no feeling I'd cross thread if not careful. That was also the case with my Yuji version as well.

Virtually the same.
    Note there is a slightly longer hot area with nearly identical spill.

The tints against an eggshell colored door.
    Both were centered well but the photo was taken at an angle.
    Note the slight red in the spill of the Yuji.

Note the others in the order were supposed to be desert tan but they sent black ones instead. I'm definitely ok with that after seeing desert tan is more like a chocolate color.
    The next order will have a brown one that I plan on removing the coating and polishing with alluminum wheel polish.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-27-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    The non potted versions are sealed, at least my samples are glued. Heat gun might work to soften the cement, but care must be taken with C01R since the optic is plastic. For that reason I have not attempted to open it up
    I dont think the slanted pcb of the C01R is an issue in the C01. At least not from looking at the three unused C01 I just received.

The C01 pcb sits very straight and square in the host. These are not potted, but they are very well supported. I gave it a few twists, at moderately more force than I would normally use, and the pcb did not shift position.

First Impressions
    My unpotted orange C01 lights work great. Im really happy with them.

look at the symmetry:

I see no reason for concern about the durability of the UnPotted C01.
    The contact pads sit clearIy above the orange host.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-27-2020 at 07:36 PM.

This thread is very interesting. Who'd have thought we could generate this much enthusiasm over a $4 light?

Iím having trouble buying expensive lights while enjoying these co1ís

Quote Originally Posted by Vemice View Post
    This thread is very interesting. Who'd have thought we could generate this much enthusiasm over a $4 light?
    Warm White, High CRI, AAA, Keychain, Cockroach, Battery Vampire, Hat Light, Inexpensive, Durable, EMP Proof... thats a lot of points of interest ;-).. lol

I just wish they would run some in Titanium

The Poor Mans Sapphire..
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-27-2020 at 07:48 PM.

The Poor Mans Sapphire..[/QUOTE]

Flashaholic*

The poor mans suppository examination tool (:

Old faithful says "welcome aboard little Sophie".

Mine came yesterday, but I've not had a chance to try them. I just verified that I got (2) of each. I should be able to fire them up tonight.

I'm looking forward to it.

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    Warm White, High CRI, AAA, Keychain, Cockroach, Battery Vampire, Hat Light, Inexpensive, Durable, EMP Proof... thats a lot of points of interest ;-).. lol

I just wish they would run some in Titanium

The Poor Mans Sapphire..
    Agree. I would be all over a titanium version. Probably have to raise the price to $5 though.

I'm sitting here thinking, for less than $20, I've scored a few of the best 1xAAA lights around.

First the ThruNite Ti3, then this Sofirn C01s and now the C01. My problem is that I just can't stop purchasing multiples of each.

I'm curious to see if the C01 will fire on a cell that the C01S won't.

*sigh* I just ordered more than Iím proud of.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic*

Congrats to a new litter of Sophie's!

I'm sitting here thinking, for less than $20, I've scored a few of the best 1xAAA lights around.

First the ThruNite Ti3, then this Sofirn C01s and now the C01. My problem is that I just can't stop purchasing multiples of each.

I'm curious to see if the C01 will fire on a cell that the C01S won't.

I hear ya'. I bought 5 of the Ti3s. For me, it is one of the more underrated lights even though it is not High CRI (Jonathan). I have an original (?) from maybe 10 years ago. Still works great considering a battery took a dump in it. Cleaned it up and she was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Vemice View Post
    I bought 5 of the Ti3s
    me too :-)
    the black ones are on sale again

I think they will be nice, with a Warm High CRI upgrade..
    maybe LH351D 2700k

my Ti3 from years ago, is very green.. lol
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-28-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Loving these AAA myself. For keychain use I canít quit the ti3. Just so small and that mode spacing is perfect.

My Sophie C01 order showed up today and they are just as expected. Maybe even a little nicer beam pattern than the yuji models. Loving the surprise potting in my green one!

Just had the chance to spend a few minutes with one of these. Nice tint, nice up-close type work light. Not much of a thrower, at all. A slight hotspot, but that quickly blends into the corona at several feet.

If all you wanted was a 1xAAA format on your person, I could see this C01 and the C01S complimenting each other.

The last couple of nights I had an E01, a Yuji C01 and a Sophia C01 on the night stand table. All set the same direction so that fumbling in the dark meant grab one at random when getting up at 1am, and 4:30 am. Frankly I like all three. Now after not using an E01 for a while the 5 or 6 blumens was a bit of a shock to the system at first. Nothing my brain could not adapt to but it was a surprise to realize just how easy it is to take for granted how far things have evolved in the LED world.

With the thinner o'ring used in the 2020 C01 it was easy to tell which is which as soon as the twist of the head began. Being that the E01 does not have a clip that too was easy to tell. It came down to all three being picked at one time or another at random and each time I hoped I had picked the 2020 C01.

The Sophia 'seems' brighter but that may be due to the battery. See the battery in the E01 is one that would no longer fire my regulated fuel gulping PKDL PL-2 on high but still has lots of fuel. And the Yuji has been the bedside table light for about a year so it's also running on a somewhat weakened battery. The Sophia is running off a brand new made in October, Rayovac Fusion cell.

Tracking says my second order is on the boat, headed to America. Yay!!
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-29-2020 at 03:10 AM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast