High-mid-low or low-mid-high for flashlight lighting mode?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
There are generally two types of lighting mode for the flashlights, from high to low or from low to high. I found many people have disputes on the lighting mode. Should the flashlight enter the high lighting mode or the low lighting mode when turn it on? When you are in emergency or need high brightness, it's more convenient to enter high lighting mode directly once you switch on. While, if you are in camping and getting up in the night, turn on the flashlight, low lighting or even moonlight mode will make your eyes more comfortable. Some flashlights provide memory mode to enter into the last lighting mode, but some doesn't have memory function with simpler design. It seems difficult to choose. So high-mid-low or low-mid-high, what do you think of it?

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
For everyday usage, I prefer low-medium-high, with no mode memory.

(Context: I'm a civilian, and live in a very safe area, so don't need to plan for tactical use of a light.)

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
LMH for edc or general use. MLH is fine, too. Only time I like HML is for a bike light. For so called "tactical" use- aka bump in the night- I strongly prefer single mode.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are generally two types of lighting mode for the flashlights, from high to low or from low to high. I found many people have disputes on the lighting mode. Should the flashlight enter the high lighting mode or the low lighting mode when turn it on? When you are in emergency or need high brightness, it's more convenient to enter high lighting mode directly once you switch on. While, if you are in camping and getting up in the night, turn on the flashlight, low lighting or even moonlight mode will make your eyes more comfortable. Some flashlights provide memory mode to enter into the last lighting mode, but some doesn't have memory function with simpler design. It seems difficult to choose. So high-mid-low or low-mid-high, what do you think of it?
Depends on the type of light in question. If it's a big light and especially if it's a larger thrower. Chances are you will only really be using it on high not low. So this type of light should default to HIGH.

However if it is a tube style 18650 or smaller EDC light. You will most likely want a way to go directly to low/moonlight. As this type of light is far more suited to close quarters and indoor use. These should default to Moonlight.

UI's can be sophisticated enough to cater for both scenarios however. The BLF A6 driver isn't a bad stab at it or some of the newer variants. If you have an electronic switch or dual switches then it is even easier to offer instant access to either end of the spectrum.

However it is worth considering. If you are using moonlight, you probably aren't in a hurry. Where as wanting High/Turbo is likely to be a more rapid demand.

Using a mechanical clicky you can have short and long presses so to allow moving up and down through the modes. This is how the BLF A6 driver works.

For an EDC light I think

1 click = moon
2 quick clicks = Turbo

This would allow you to essentially turn it on in either mode. And you won't blind yourself getting to moonlight.

From Moon light a long click should increase brightness

From Turbo a short click should decrease brightness

This way you would not need a mode memory, because each end of the spectrum would be quick and easy to access. And you can travel in both directions, allowing you to increase or decrease brightness at your discretion. It would also be intuitive and easy to use.

If you wanted the blinky modes (strobe/SOS) you could either have them as hidden modes or programmable on/off. I prefer the latter.

I would think on most light you need 4 or 5 outputs

Moonlight -> Low -> Med -> High

or

Moonlight -> Low -> Med -> High -> Turbo

If worried about too much heat, Turbo could auto step down to High are 'x' period of time.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I liked my Crelant CH10 so much I have about 4 of them. Unfortunately, each has become unreliable.

What I like about it:
It has a ramping UI with two positions of memory.

Click once, it turns on at whatever you set for position one.

Click again, it goes to whatever you set for position two.

Each can be ramped up and then back down, and it will remember where you stopped.

So if you prefer low --- high, or high --- low, or anywhere in between, it's your choice.