The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about best charging current.

Default Re: Question about best charging current.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioJP View Post
    Very informative thread. Just to clear things up. This was merely to try to understand that was lingering on my mind ever since quick charging was introduced.

So i am using meter that measure the output current coming out from a quick charge usb charger.

How Samsung manages to have a 4500mAh battery with qc mode. It dumps 3 amps throughout the charging process until it gets around 85%. That's when the current starts tapering off. Even at 85%, the charge current is still at 2 amps.

I am curious what technology went into these samsung batteries for their devices.

Apologies for the confusion lol.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
    3A for 4500mAh cell is only a .667C charging rate and by anybodyís metric, thatís fairly benign.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MarioJP View Post
    Very informative thread. Just to clear things up. This was merely to try to understand that was lingering on my mind ever since quick charging was introduced.

So i am using meter that measure the output current coming out from a quick charge usb charger.

How Samsung manages to have a 4500mAh battery with qc mode. It dumps 3 amps throughout the charging process until it gets around 85%. That's when the current starts tapering off. Even at 85%, the charge current is still at 2 amps.

I am curious what technology went into these samsung batteries for their devices.

Apologies for the confusion lol.

Those Samsung phones destroy their battery with the quick-charge feature. It's handy, but I find that the phone battery starts to suck after about 2 years. They probably don't care, since most people replace their phones about every 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Those Samsung phones destroy their battery with the quick-charge feature. It's handy, but I find that the phone battery starts to suck after about 2 years. They probably don't care, since most people replace their phones about every 2 years.
    That's not even the worst part. There is another model in the same category as mines but with one slight key difference. The quick-charge feature just got faster. Charging at 25-watts of charging power! In case 3A just isn't fast enough? XD xD. Mines is rated at 15-watts. But both of these models are using the same 4500mAh battery.

25-watts, that has to be like 4 amps Oh and another thing. Using a battery app. Battery is fully charged at 4.378mv or 4.3 volts. Talk about maximizing capacity.

That's like charging a 3.7v 18650B or GA at 2.2 amps at first, but then, was upgraded to charge 2.8 amps while terminating at 4.23mv

I think samsung is the one using the capacity as guidance lol.

Must be a planned obsolescence feature in these devices lol.

Last edited by MarioJP; 11-27-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Yes they sure would like us to toss the phone and buy a new one every two years.

Only fast charge when really necessary, shortens lifespan a lot.

The charging app I use lets me set an alarm at say 80-85% Full so I can stop charging then to get a longer lifespan.

Also at 20-25% SoC so I know to recharge then, a high avg DoD% kill the battery even faster than filling it up all the way.

Also use an app will calculate remaining capacity (SoH%) gets more and more accurate over time.

+

18650 = 1A
    smaller than 18650 = .5A
    bigger than 18650 = 2A

Doubt that there's a Best rate, unless the manufacturer has some specifics for a particular cell.

I just use ~.5C across the board. Mostly because it fits well with just plugging in my AA's in my C9000 and letting it default to 1A. I tend to be a bit more careful with AAA's, but not because I think it matters much ...
    I tend to misplace my cells before I ever recharge them enough times for them to go bad. :-D

My own truth, and battery religion, is that one can quite easily over think these matters, and that it in fact doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, unless you want to make it an issue and an intellectual play time. :-D

To each his own.

Regards,
    /Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
    Yes they sure would like us to toss the phone and buy a new one every two years.

Only fast charge when really necessary, shortens lifespan a lot.

The charging app I use lets me set an alarm at say 80-85% Full so I can stop charging then to get a longer lifespan.

Also at 20-25% SoC so I know to recharge then, a high avg DoD% kill the battery even faster than filling it up all the way.

Also use an app will calculate remaining capacity (SoH%) gets more and more accurate over time.
    But above everything else. I am sure safety hasn't been compromised in any way right? I just feel that this is a band-aid solution to a battery technology that is aging. I am sure manufacturers like samsung and tesla have it all figured out and that we are in good hands right?..right?

Bandaids is one way to put it, all we can do is mitigate risks AMAP.

Battery technology itself **in the marketplace** evolves very very slowly, basically we all need to work with what's available.

Tesla for sure invests many millions in engineering effective TMS temp mgmt systems into its vehicles

to minimize safety risks.

Since phones are so tiny, not much room for that, and spontaneous fires have been known to light up in consumers' pockets.

Use LFP chemistry, or LTO both are **much** safer, inherent in the chemistry.

But usable energy density only twice that of lead, not 4-5x.

Engineering is always about compromises, balancing priorities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12