Question about best charging current.

Hegner

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I own a Liitokala 500S charger and I wonder what would be the safest current settings for testing and charging Ion Li batteries, specially 18650. I can choose from 500 maH to 2000 maH but I'm afraid higher currents despite of charging faster can be dangerous for battery cycle. Any ideas?

sbj

Newly Enlightened
With 0.3C you are always on the safe side:twothumbs

MarioJP

Enlightened
That depends how fast you want those cells charged and how many cells you have. Ideally, 1 amp is a fine balance of cycles and waiting for them to be done. 500mA if you have spares and/or time isn't a factor

Currents around 1.5mA or higher
Would be a last resort charge current option for urgently needing them like an emergency situation like an impending power outage or forgot to charge but suddenly needing them right away.

In my opinion 1.5 that's when heat generation most likely to happen. Whether it's from the charger itself or from the cells. Heat will for sure degrade cycles faster. I rarely charge my cells no higher than 1A.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hegner

Newly Enlightened
That depends how fast you want those cells charged and how many cells you have. Ideally, 1 amp is a fine balance of cycles and waiting for them to be done. 500mA if you have spares and/or time isn't a factor

That's what I want: faster charge/test but with safety.

Currents around 1.5mA or higher
Would be a last resort charge current option for urgently needing them like an emergency situation like an impending power outage or forgot to charge but suddenly needing them right away.

In my opinion 1.5 that's when heat generation most likely to happen. Whether it's from the charger itself or from the cells. Heat will for sure degrade cycles faster. I rarely charge my cells no higher than 1A.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. Much appreciated!

Dascombe

Newly Enlightened
I tend to stick with 1A for charging my cells; fast enough for me and they remain nice and cool.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, 1 amp is best for 18650's. You can go slower, but it's not going to result in any benefits. Only use 2 amps if the cell is made for high-drain (such as 20 amps or more). Of course, you can use 2 amps for 10A or 15A cells, and they'll take it okay, but it's a little harder on them.

MarioJP

Enlightened
I do want to mention that there are some chargers out there like mines that can charge cells up to 3 amps max! But i will never charge 18650 cells at that rate. That's too fast. Just because you can doesn't mean you should lol.

Also, another thing that has me amazed are li-po cells and quick charge in mobile devices. How it manages to dump 3,000mah within an hour without much heat generated from the usb-c port and phone amazes me.

The li-po that comes with my phone is rated 4500mah capacity and can easily handle 3A no problems.

Does this mean that li-pos are more superior than cylindrical cells?

Quick charge is right. An advancement of charging technology for phones and mobile devices lol.

Last edited:

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
0.4C is my ceiling when prioritizing longevity.

Lower in cool ambients

Higher does no harm when the cells are hot.

Hegner

Newly Enlightened
I do want to mention that there are some chargers out there like mines that can charge cells up to 3 amps max! But i will never charge 18650 cells at that rate. That's too fast. Just because you can doesn't mean you should lol.

Also, another thing that has me amazed are li-po cells and quick charge in mobile devices. How it manages to dump 3,000mah within an hour without much heat generated from the usb-c port and phone amazes me.

The li-po that comes with my phone is rated 4500mah capacity and can easily handle 3A no problems.

Does this mean that li-pos are more superior than cylindrical cells?

Quick charge is right. An advancement of charging technology for phones and mobile devices lol.

Thank you,Mario!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
Fot longevity the max discharge rate can go much higher than the charge rate.

But the impact of both do vary a lot by temperature.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, in my case 500mah that's the minimum.
mAh is measuring of battery capacity. So, you mean 500mA or 0.5A (1/2 A)

I tend to stick with 1A for charging my cells; fast enough for me and they remain nice and cool.
It depends on battery capacity and type. Charging a 10Ah battery at 1 Amp is 0.1C and charging a 1Ah battery at 1A is 1C (C is battery capacity)
If your 18650 has capacity of 3300mAh then 1A charging current is about 0.3C and if it has capacity of 1950mAh, at same current 1A is about 0.5C

Hegner

Newly Enlightened
mAh is measuring of battery capacity. So, you mean 500mA or 0.5A (1/2 A)

Sorry, I meant 0.5A

It depends on battery capacity and type. Charging a 10Ah battery at 1 Amp is 0.1C and charging a 1Ah battery at 1A is 1C (C is battery capacity)
If your 18650 has capacity of 3300mAh then 1A charging current is about 0.3C and if it has capacity of 1950mAh, at same current 1A is about 0.5C

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually charge at or close to 1C (based on minimum specified capacity) unless the product data sheet for the cell indicates a lower maximum charging current.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually charge at or close to 1C (based on minimum specified capacity) unless the product data sheet for the cell indicates a lower maximum charging current.

That's probably too high, except for high-drain cells. For example, 3.5 amps is way too high for a Sanyo GA or Samsung 35E 3500mAh cell.

But perhaps you meant 1A, not 1C.

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
1C is fine, if your use case demands a very high discharge C-rate also.

But if concerned about longevity **and** your discharge C-rate stays under 1C

then 0.4C is a good limit to stick to