Where are you guys buying your LED emitter in 2020?

cdrake261

Enlightened
I took a very long break from buying/building LED projects and I just saw that one of my favorite shops(shiningbeam) had closed it's doors a ways back...looking for new places to source them for my projects....

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a really old LED, not sure it will be easy to find these days. Kaidomain looks like it has some stock of the XML.

Other places to get LEDs:
Arrow
Digi-key
Mouser
Kaidomain
Mountain Electronics
Virence
Intl-Outdoor

cdrake261

Enlightened
That is a really old LED, not sure it will be easy to find these days. Kaidomain looks like it has some stock of the XML.

Other places to get LEDs:
Arrow
Digi-key
Mouser
Kaidomain
Mountain Electronics
Virence
Intl-Outdoor

Yea...I made a 6 foot aluminum light bar, and last year, I fried one of the emitters by shorting it out. I might be better off cutting the aluminum heatsink down and run the light with 5 emitters. Thanks for the sources, it's been a good 5 or 10 years since I visited this forum, hope to get back at it once I get my cnc mill next spring.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea...I made a 6 foot aluminum light bar, and last year, I fried one of the emitters by shorting it out. I might be better off cutting the aluminum heatsink down and run the light with 5 emitters. Thanks for the sources, it's been a good 5 or 10 years since I visited this forum, hope to get back at it once I get my cnc mill next spring.

On the bright side you can flow newer emitters as both the XML2 and the SST40 offer the same solder footprint. Could be a good way to upgrade.

cdrake261

Enlightened
On the bright side you can flow newer emitters as both the XML2 and the SST40 offer the same solder footprint. Could be a good way to upgrade.

Interesting, I'll have to take a closer look at those for my future projects...I never messed with an SST emitter but I've heard about them back in the day. As for the lightbar I have, I'll just cut the aluminum down and put it back up over the desk...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been able to find pretty much anything I need from Digi-Key. Not that I build or modify a lot of stuff but I've been able to find some fairly exotic emitters there.