Zebralight Floody AA lights

tbone1993

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have recommendations on the floody zebralights? Ive been looking at the h503 / h503w, I dont want an 18650 light. Im trying to be minimalistic and only use AA batteries.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H503 is a "flood" model, not "floody".
Semantics, I know, but you have to make the distinction with Zebralight, because they have both.
Pure flood lights are awesome for a limited range of uses at very close range(I keep an older model H30w in my basement, where I do oil changes and have an unlit storage closet), but are much less versatile than the "floody" models(H52Fw is what I use for backpacking, whether it's in the tent, or actually hiking in the dark).
Since you're being all minimalist and stuff, you probably don't want a bunch of different headlamps for specific tasks, and will be much better served by a H53Fw as a general purpose light.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless of beam type, I would not trust any ZL my life. Out of 4 i had, two have died. Having said this, an H502d is my backup travel light

Strintguy

Enlightened
I recently bought a ZL18650 headlamp to replace the ZL AA headlamp I bought last year. It would be ok if you never run it on anything higher than medium. Even on the lowest high setting it goes through alkalines and nimh batteries very quickly.

desmobob

Enlightened
If you want "flood", not "floody", get one of the F models OR get yourself a sheet of DC-Fix so you can add a low-loss diffuser that can be removed if the need arises. Everyone has their preference or specific need for beam type. I sometimes like a floody beam for hiking/walking but mostly prefer a true flood for general use, camp chores, working on something, etc.

I had settled on a pair of ArmyTek headlamps (pure flood) for most of my needs but both have failed in five years. (They replaced one and have had the other for over a week for warranty examination -- in China.) My Zebralight soldiers on. I have an H600w MkII with a DC-Fix diffuser on the lens, making it the flood beam I prefer that can be easily converted back to the floody-with-a-hotspot beam if I need it.

I originally tried to standardize my lights to AA power for convenience, but I've long since given in to the power and capacity of Lithium-ion. Even my 1xAA lights (EagTac and Lumintop) now sport 14500 power.

Using Lithium-ion batteries is more convenient today than it ever was, with batteries having USB ports and built-in charging circuitry; you don't even need to invest in a charger...

tbone1993

Newly Enlightened
The H503 is a "flood" model, not "floody".
Semantics, I know, but you have to make the distinction with Zebralight, because they have both.
Pure flood lights are awesome for a limited range of uses at very close range(I keep an older model H30w in my basement, where I do oil changes and have an unlit storage closet), but are much less versatile than the "floody" models(H52Fw is what I use for backpacking, whether it's in the tent, or actually hiking in the dark).
Since you're being all minimalist and stuff, you probably don't want a bunch of different headlamps for specific tasks, and will be much better served by a H53Fw as a general purpose light.

I guess I didn't realize they have different flood models. I basically need it for general purpose hiking, loading the boat/car etc. Don't really need a beam, if I do I'll just out a flashlight. How is the quality lately? My last zebra light is probably 7 years old and still going strong

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
I have the H53fw (semi-flood, frosted lens), the H502 (180* flood, clear lens), and the H604d (180* flood).

The AA lights are great for indoor, close-up use. They are NOT good for working on a car in a fairly well-lit garage.

I used my H604d for 3 hours, on near-turbo level. Went thru one 18650, and a part of another. That is the light you want, if you need light in medium ambient light conditions, or you need good light levels 6' to 35' away in darker conditions.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I didn't realize they have different flood models. I basically need it for general purpose hiking, loading the boat/car etc. Don't really need a beam, if I do I'll just out a flashlight. How is the quality lately? My last zebra light is probably 7 years old and still going strong
Yeah, they have a lot of models! I've been debating one of their 18650 headlamps for work, and it took a while to get them all straight.
H53Fw is basically the same as my H52Fw with a little more brightness and programming options. It will be fine for the things you mention, unless you're one of these nuts who thinks they need 1000 lumens for hiking in the dark:crackup:
Can't comment on recent quality from Zebralight. Some of the earlier models I owned had circuit and waterproofing failures, but my SC52w and H52Fw have been handling all my EDC and hiking/backpacking needs, respectively, for 7 or 8yrs, now.
Haven't had much reason to shop around, or buy newer versions...