Trail light in Bug-Out-Bags for wife and myself

PaulPool89

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

TL: DR at bottom.

Looking for help narrowing current (2020) choices for a rechargeable flashlight. I am putting together go-bags, or "bug-out-bags" for my wife and myself, and this would be our primary flashlight for walking in the dark outside.
I already have a "LuminAid Titan solar inflatable lantern" as primary camp lantern that light bright, but less run time. Additionally got a smaller, but thicker "collapsible solar lantern/flashlight combo from Frog & Co" that servers as a backup for both the lantern and flashlight as the cost of not doing as good of a job as either, but has a decent run time. Both can charge devices. And I have a solar battery bank that charges and has low-lumen lights, and out cellphone lights to provide reading lights, and a solar radio with a little light as well. Got a "Big Blue 28W fold-out solar panel" pack for draping over the top/back of the backpack and laying out during the day to charge everything faster. So we are pretty good in the campsite light and charging department with redundancy built into everything on the go.

So the function of this flashlight would be a long-throwing, bright, and long lasting flashlight for when we are on the move at night, in a dark place, or walking outside of the campsite or trying to see beyond campsite lantern.
Because it will be stowed in the bag, or attached via the clip to our straps/belts, it does not have to be small enough to fit in our pockets for everyday use or on a key chain.

I have read a lot of forum posts about EagleTac, now EagTac. Some recommend Fenix, others say to stay away from nitcore, others recommend zebralight or a few other brands. Most of the posts I've read are several years or even more than a decade old, so I'm looking at more recent information. I understand that most of the brands in the $50-100 or even $150 range are all from China and probably off the same manufacturer line sold to different vendors.
I have read one interesting post from an enthusiast that put most of these brands in the "middle of the road" tier, and his recommendation is to get a really high-end brand, and then just get a bunch of low-end flashlights. Since this is going in a go-bag that is not an option because of weight, and I'm sure the high-end options are several hundreds of dollars. So I'm trying to find the best I can get for my price range.

Looking thru EagTac's model lines I have trouble deciding between the P, T and G series, much less all the sub-models. I almost seems like the larger size doesn't really make the light brighter. So is the larger size just getting you more run time?
I do like the basic options of high-bright, low-bright, and strobe for emergency. I have USB ports on all my solar devices, or a regular USB-C or MicroUSB port to connect a cable would be preferable.
Of chief concern is run-time. My backup solar lantern/flashlight from Frog & Co is a designated backup because it has a longer runtime than the LuminAid, but I would like a flashlight to be usable multiple nights in a row for several hours incase solar charging weather is not cooperating for a few days.

I'm not stuck to choosing EagTac, I just saw their name a lot in my research and saw they have a lot of choices. So if you have better more recent options I'm all ears. Price range is per flash light.

Also following this forum's convention, please see below. I selected a couple choices so if you have one that is close to the my goal that would be great.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
__X__Up to $50.
__X__Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

__X__I am not sure, please help me decide.
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
__X__MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
__X__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
__X__I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
____I don't care
Looking for USB-C or Micro-USB port to connect to solar charging devices.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
__X__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

__X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
__X__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
__X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
__X__3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
__X__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
__X__I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
__X__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
__X__IPX4 (Splash resistant)
__X__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
__X__Emergency kit (long standby periods)
__X__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

TL:DR

Long-lasting flashlight used as primary light in bug-out-bags.
Rechargeable using USB-C or Micro-USB port, bright enough to go out in the trails at night as primary function, as it will complement Solar lanterns (for campsite) and low-powered reading lights.
Light-weight is a major factor too as this is for on-the-go, but I am comfortable with a size larger than what is normally carried in pocket to gain run-time and lumens, as when not in my hand hand it will be attached by clip or in bug-out-bag, not in daily pocket use.
Features: High-power mode and low power mode and strobe preferred.

Under $150 per unit appreciated, under $100 option would be nice too.

Thanks for your help!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Honestly are you set on rechargeable batteries? There handy but your going to need a way to recharge them. And there not as reliable as primary cells. Personally in my BOB/GHB. I have Malkoff and elzetta's. I exclusively use primary cells in lights that must be 100 percent reliable.

Sos24

Enlightened
I will put in a word for Fenix. I used a couple Fenix lights for shipboard duty in the Navy that took a lot of abuse and never let me down. EagTac are good flashlights as well but I have not put them through as much abuse to have the same comfort level.

One suggestion I would make is the Fenix PD25 with a couple of Fenix ARB-L16 700U batteries (some are sold with one) (or other micro usb rechargeable 16340.With this combination, you get a reliable flashlight that I think would meet your desires that can use primaries (more capacity) and rechargeables. With the 16340s that have a micro usb port, you do not require a seperate charge only a cord and as long as you have a spare battery the flashlight is still available while the battery is charging. The EagTac D25c could be used in the same way. Another I like that could work the same way is the Acebeam TK16.

There are some AA flashlights, like Fenix LD12, EagTac D25A and Lumitop Tool AA that could be ran the same way using a 14500 with micro usb port (which aren't as common but available).

You may also want to consider a headlamp or at the least a headband designed to hold a flashlight for hands free use.

I would also recommend adding a AAA flashlight like the Fenix E01 or Lumitop edc01 as a backup because they are tiny, capable and AAA are easy to scavenge in emergency, like in remote controls.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my lights are AA and AAA for the reason of cell abundance. I have a folding solar panel and a single cell charger to focus on portability.

For bug out I focused on ease of use proven reliability and I wanted them to perform well at sub 100L levels. If I am bugging out, I don't want to be seen. All my lights have sub 1L modes because I want my lights to last a long long time between charges.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
This reads more like camping than bug-out, for real SHTF bug-out stuff then as mentioned you`ll need something capable of sub-lumen levels, but it Must take readily available batteries, AAA, AA (you can get these anywhere and out of all sorts of things), and also a 9v light too! those will still be on the shelves Long after all the other batts have gone! ;)

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a long read with a lot of specifics. If you are set on a usb rechargeable light that narrows your options.

For me, I went with an armytek wizard pro (warm xhp50) for the function you are after. More a flood type light and works as a headlamp or right angle light. Probably my most used light. While it is floody it's well balanced and reaches surprisingly well.

I do like the on board charging, though it is very slow and I usually just top the cell up as needed on my charging station at home. While the usb magnetic charging is a proprietary set up it seems pretty rugged. Plus the driver supports 2 cr123 if you need to.

PaulPool89

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, thanks so much for your feedback.

Yes, I do have head lamps from Pinceton Tec that run on batteries.

I like the idea of removable batteries that are also rechargeable. My thought was more for a localized emergency, less than apoloclypse. So I figured if we grab our bags that were packed years ago I would hate to find dead batteries. At least with rechargeable we can get some juice into them. Also I figured one or two sets of rechargables means less weight than non-rechargables, right?
Since we will have our cellphones and headlamps for lower-level light, the flashlights would be the primary trail light, and for seeing at a moderate distance in the dark, at least further than a lantern or headlamp. Hope that makes sense?

I like the idea of warmer light, hate the super white 5000k lights at night.

I will research the lights you all recommended here, and post back. Thank you!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH10 v2. Takes a 21700 li-ion battery and has built in usb-c charging in the light. 1200 lumens on high, 1 on low (with 1500 hours on a 5000 mAh battery, comes with a 4000 mAh battery). Compatible with 18650s, 2 3.7 volt RCR123As or 2 lithium 123As also. I'd load it with lithiums and the tailcap locked out for long term storage if you plan to leave it ready to go in a bug out bag.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH10 v2. Takes a 21700 li-ion battery and has built in usb-c charging in the light. 1200 lumens on high, 1 on low (with 1500 hours on a 5000 mAh battery, comes with a 4000 mAh battery). Compatible with 18650s, 2 3.7 volt RCR123As or 2 lithium 123As also. I'd load it with lithiums and the tailcap locked out for long term storage if you plan to leave it ready to go in a bug out bag.

That looks like a great option! Anybody know of nitecore glues their heads? Would definitely swap to a better tint/cri myself.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
There are a lot of 18650 and 21700 lights out there either with built in chargers or batteries with usb embedded in them. You can also get small lithium ion chargers for them that operate also off USB input. With extra batteries in cases tossed in you can forget about using primaries in them just have to check up on the batteries every few years maybe top them off. For under $100 you could get a flashlight and a headlamp and a charger and extra batteries even if you opt for less expensive brands. With an external USB charger and extra batteries or removable USB batteries you don't need built in charging. IMO built in charging is nice to have for ultimate in compactness but that advantage is negated if you have no other light to take over the duty while it recharges the battery inside. I've charged batteries all 3 ways: Built in, USB battery, external charger and of these 3 an external charger can often charge faster than the other options.
If you get a right angle headlamp with removable light it can do double duty and if you also get a light with 800+ lumen output on turbo it can make up for a less narrow beam and offer better use in short distance use.
I don't have a lot of experience with a ton of different lights but do like my Wowtac A2S NW Right angle 18650 headlamp, and my Sofirn SP32 V2.0 NW 18650 side button flashlight and my Fenix HL60R is my least favorite but still a good headlamp.
IMO it is often better to "store" extra batteries in cheaper but useful lights if they aren't alkaleaks that gives you extra lights to use and if you are "bugging" out you may come across people that aren't prepared that want to "borrow" a light from you. Cheap 1AA LED lights are great to throw around and abuse and give away and are worry free for alkaleak use compared to a $20+ light.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple of different recommendations. To handle the 'use available primary cells' I would recommend a Lumintop Tool AA 2.0. It will work with either AA or LiIon 14500 cells (much brighter output). To move up to more output/runtime I like the Lumintop GT Mini and Micro. Both can fit in a holster for belt or MOLLE carry. The Mini uses a LiIon 18650 cell, and the Micro uses a LiIon 14500 cell. Both of the GT lights have a ramping interface as default, where one can select just the right amount of light desired, with the option to change to a multi-stop interface as well. I have personally used all of these lights and have had no problems with them.
AS far as recharging cells, I would recommend a two step process. Use the solar cells to charge one or more power banks, then use the power banks to power a recharger. This separates the power gathering from the power usage, and if one has more than one power bank, the two processes can go on at the same time. Of course, there are also 14500 and 18650 cell with built-in chargers, but they usually have a slightly lower capacity, and I personally don't like hybrids like that, because if something happens to the charger part of the cell, then you lose the use of the cell totally.
Also, one can always run a cell charger directly from the solar bank. Just make sure that whatever you are driving from the solar bank has the capability to restart charging if there is a temporary lapse in charging current, say due to clouds or whatever. Not all do. Many require that one disconnect from and then reconnect to the power source before to resume charging.

sgt253

Enlightened
@timothybil: I would agree with this assessment. I own the BLF Gt mini (as well as the big brother BLF GT). You can make it do some really functional things. It can also accept an 18350 sized battery to reduce its overall size. I think PaulPool89 you would be happy with its performance and features for a great price. Best of luck.

desertrunner

Banned
Quick note about me- I have been a hard core flashlight geek for the last 30 years. I have used them extensively in the fire service and personal life. If I recommend something, its because Ive used and evaluated it extensively. I like solid and reliable workhorses, not the flashy or cute lights that arent USB rechargeable. It has to work hard, be reliable and proven hard if I post it here.

Going back through this thread, I want to share a house flashlight I use EVERY night. It is USB rechargeable, bright, durable, waterproof and Browning seems to stand behind their products. Got my mom one too and she love it, also uses it every night. this is also a good vehicle light as well. Honestly, USB rechargeable is so awesome, the only flashlights I buy now, I cant see going any other way, its just like charing your cell phone.

Browning-Crossfire-1AA-USB-Rechargeable-LED-flashlight-BHQ-66570-er.webp

Browning-Crossfire-1AA-USB-Rechargeable-LED-flashlight-BHQ-66570-er-side-2-large.jpg

Last edited: