BAROU LAMPS - The LIGHT MACHINE - ELECTROPHORUS

Baroutologos

Newly Enlightened
b2icURCUyaBSYgLT7
(Version 2.4)
Hello all,

It's been a while since my last post. This time i come with a new, and maybe you find it interesting, lamp tech /design.

The ELECTROPHORUS TM series, Utility & Design Patent Pending.
"Where the Future meets the past"
9MXKzxJEX4Lw3Fy27
9MXKzxJEX4Lw3Fy27

HoCd2ZwgywMvxRbi9
XY32XRqkUko1fHWb6
8TGnZqoVHeCN8AJC9
8TGnZqoVHeCN8AJC9
kVmSbFdGyb2VajKj9
Those are thermoelectrically operated lanterns/ lamps, without any electrical input or batteries, yet utilizing LED technology. Special attention has been given to Looks, with a huge influence by the Steampunk art genre.
Traditionally, genuine chassis of tubular lanterns are being employed and everything else, has been designed and created from scratch. Many times until getting the performance i needed and the shape you see.
The following photos, for your eyes only.
8TGnZqoVHeCN8AJC9

I have made three so far E001, E002 & E003.

E001- E002- E003
Chassis: Rhewum St2 (1950-1960s) - Panzer (1940s) -
9MXKzxJEX4Lw3Fy27
St2

SPECS
y4mzhzD1ZEPLJPaZVvWF8sRmiue02CmdV5zEpGJ3vOgBMj_N2vHKAcIqVhVtg40cAcnM1Yrjfr-GtN34ZkCmqGpTsfAdd8H3CyiiIzpUaXj1rKb5hizGCoDdeFEGYwAbLBpE07_9BiHFBAajpDUCagLsAufP7S9xZsQHOsgEW6MOBYGPnmoYDdTHXKEHfP5xU0M
5N2XYj79Q66mSN5R7

Weight: 2150 - 2400 grms (metric)
Height: around 45 cm
Tank capacity: around 300 gr kerosene

NEW! Optimum working condition (corrected): E002 - around 4 watts TEG, E003 - 5 watts TEG output
NEW! Useful output: E002 - 2.8 watts , E003 - 3.7 watts
NEW! Light output: Around 400 lumens for E002, 500 Lumens for E003, no glaring, evenly distributed, warm white pleasing light
Electrical output: female USB port, give or take 400mA at 5V
Kerosene consuption: around 16-18 gr / hour (optimum flame setting for given power output)
Regulated burner airflow for optimum flame performance

One tank lasts around 18-20 hours (actually lasts more but output diminishes due to less wicking as fuel level goes low)
No excessively hot areas. Not a spot anywhere in the lantern exceeds 250 degrees celsius
Noise: less than 28 db
Start-up time: Around 2 minutes, full power around 5min

VIDEO

E002 presentation , E002 operation 1

The PLAN

I have a goal of making one hundred unique ELECTROPHORUSTM lamps, all of them built on genuine antique hotblast chassis. This is because the level of complexity and parts making, prohibits few models to be produced at an reasonable cost. So a batch of at least 100 can justify the endeavor. For this reason, soon a crowd funding project will be launched for finding out the potential of a market / support.
LrMYkhM

Greetings,
Barou

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Re: BAROU LAMPS - Thermoelectric Tech - the ELECTROPHORUS series

Love the design work!
it probably uses a peltier device to do this, I`v made several Led lights that run off a single tea candle in the past using peltier arrays, I never thought to make them look Cool though! :D

filibuster

Enlightened

Barou, love the art and love the functionality! GENIUS!!!
The volt/watt meter is beautiful as is the whole lamp and the details such as fabric wrapped wires, thumb tighten fasteners, copper and brass connectors just makes me want to stare at it. What a joy to look at! Then you throw in that its functional with a real wick and flame that produces the power to provide the electric light... got to LOVE IT!!!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the oil lamp convert heat into electricity enough to charge your phone or just work the meter?

Zandar

Enlightened

Beautiful and very artistic!

Baroutologos

Newly Enlightened

Hello to all, and thank you for your kind words.
rewritten

for specs look my first post

This is where this three first models stand.
I had to make a lot of trade offs, for example noise (cooler fan) vs output. Nobody wants a sound like turbine in his living room.

There is always room to get better, and i mean, much better, but this will have to do with people's demand on this particular model so as to justify a lot more invested time in this concept.

Greeting,
Barou

Last edited:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like Rick Brant boy scientist I read his stories of him when I was a boy. He had a kettle with two dissimilar metals that when heated lite his little shop.
Lots of cool stories got me into electronics.
Chris

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

This is beautiful! What a handsome combination of old and modern technology. I love it.

Baroutologos

Newly Enlightened

@ lumen aeternum,

Thanks for letting me know. It should be ok now.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

Properly bizarre and awesome, look forward to seeing more of this.

Baroutologos

Newly Enlightened

Hello again guys,

Can somebody point out an renowned / esteemed commercial or not lantern evaluator.
I mean not like a value/ price appraiser, rather Technical aspects and overall usage one.

Thanks
Barou

Baroutologos

Newly Enlightened
Its been a while, but the time is near.
Next month i am launching a crowdfunding campaign.
meanwhile a brand new website is set (and old one facelifted) to provide insights of my lamps and lanterns.

learn about my lamps at www.baroulamps.com

cheers,
Barou

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with your crowdfunding campaign. Please let us know when it's up and running. I would love to participate in this.

Baroutologos

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
The campaign is live at:

Feel free to have to visit and support.

Cheers,
Barou

Beautiful artifacts! I can see these lamps adorning an upscale den or lodge. I suspect that some interior designers would have clients who would appreciate the design and craftsmanship that these lamps represent. You might give some thought to advertising these in an online design forum, in addition to CPF.

Baroutologos

Newly Enlightened
Hello Dave,

Thank you for the suggestion. maybe i will. Especially the electrified genre.
About the thermoelectric, besides the looks, those lamps are dynamically operated and involve fire. Those are really intended for people skilled in the ways of lamps and lanterns with certain mechanical skills.

cheers,
Barou