Olight UI opinions needed.

Lumens>Drugs

Newly Enlightened
Hello, new to here. I have been referencing Candlepowerforums for all the great reviews and information for the past few years. I finally joined because I really want everyone's opinion. Hopefully we could get enough people together that Olight would offer an alternative UI on the Warrior mini. Or maybe I am alone with my opinion? Here it goes.

My first Olight was an original S2 Baton. This still happens to be my favorite EDC light to this day. I later purchased a M2T for the tactical tail switch feature. Although this light has never locked itself in my pocket (long press on side switch to lock this light), It has turned on in my pocket a few times. This tells me that it IS possible to have this light lock itself, without me realizing it. This could create a dangerous situation, if you were to depend on this light in high stress conditions. I understand the consumer desire for a lockout feature, but unscrewing the tail cap a half turn results the same effect. (And would be a lot faster to screw the tail cap back in, as opposed to the current UI, which requires you to hold down the side button for roughly 2 seconds to turn off the electronic lock) I feel like this attribute could discourage potential Olight purchases.

If the electronic lock out must be retained, Olight should make the process of locking out the light more difficult that just pressing and holding the side button. Say double tap side button and hold for 2 seconds, like changing Ten-Tap programming? This could be programmed to not activate turbo while locking the light, by having the normal turbo activate on the release of the second press.

The other gripe I have with this UI is that unlike the S2 Baton, it will remember moonlight mode. I know some people like moonlight mode to be memorized, but I do not. There is no reason to memorize a light setting that already has a designated shortcut. (Long press on the side switch for moonlight) Moonlight mode is inherently only useful in very dark settings, so it is mostly used when I'm getting ready for bed or going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The problem arises the next day when I go to use my flashlight. With moonlight mode still in memory, you press the side switch and it appears the light does not turn on if there is any type of light in the room.(It turns on, just very dim, flashlight people understand) You then have to hold down the side switch to ramp back up to your favorite memorized setting.

These are the only two things stopping me from purchasing the Warrior mini.

How does the community feel about:

1. My proposed change of lockout design?

2. Having an alternate UI option that does not memorize moonlight mode?

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Life's too short to fret over UIs on our various lights.

My Sunwayman M11R recently turned on in 'low' while in my shorts' pocket, before hanging them up and toasted an Efest 16340 and things like that have happened in the past, but I'm not campaigning to have things changed.

Chris

Lumens>Drugs

Newly Enlightened
I understand. I just feel like the Warrior Mini could be the perfect EDC light for my individual needs. I was hoping more people would be on board. (Enough people to get Olight to consider alternative UI's)
I'm new to this forum so please excuse the fact that I don't know the ropes. Are there any members that are affiliated with Olight?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand. I just feel like the Warrior Mini could be the perfect EDC light for my individual needs. I was hoping more people would be on board. (Enough people to get Olight to consider alternative UI's)
I'm new to this forum so please excuse the fact that I don't know the ropes. Are there any members that are affiliated with Olight?

I can't answer your last question, but I think that you're stuck with their current offerings.

They're not bespoke lights.

Chris

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with electronic lock-outs is that they are generally deactivated by holding down the power button, which is the very thing a lock-out mode is supposed to protect against. A physical lockout is always preferable to an electronic one. Often electronic lock-outs are found on lights with non-mechanical switches and might not even fully cut the power, therefore leaving some parasitic drain when the light is switched off. That's another thing a physical lockout is good for.

Latest posts