[Xmas Gift] What 2-4 roles would cover all use cases since no one light is perfect?

gifthunter

Newly Enlightened
I'm helping my stepdad go through his tools and clean out some unneeded stuff. He loves flashlights, and by the time we rounded them up, the count was 108, most of which were ancient. Only three were newer and had lithium batteries. Only one of those was even mediocre. After putting lithiums in everything compatible, he now has two mediocre flashlights.

I know what I'm getting him for Christmas: the flashlights he's always wished he would have had but didn't realize what was available. Unlimited budget. He's an awesome guy and deserves it.

I love nerding out on electronics shopping but the selection and choices of roles is huge, and regular flashlights really aren't something I have much experience with, outside of dedicated weapon lights.

I've spent hours and hours searching around, but what I can't find in all the listings is the wisdom to know which combo I should be searching for, since the perfect flashlight doesn't exist. This is much more "what roles should I be looking for" than "recommend me a light."

The perfect flashlight for him would push maybe 5000 or so lumens of clean, high CRI light off 1x21700 or 18650 (non-proprietary), zoom between a ultra-tight beam and wide angle, use a rotary brightness dial (lumen needs all over the place) instead of a switch with gimmicky strobes, charge from USB-C, and have a nice finish which I can have engraved.

Since that doesn't exist, I need a combo of 2-4 which I won't regret. The fewer the better, since tools tend to get misplaced, and he likes keeping a go-to flashlight right at his counter/desk. A mess of flashlights would be clutter and some would disappear into drawers when they're needed (trust me).

Does the following role breakdown make sense or should I be looking at a different combo?

*Thrower for the boat and occasionally the backyard. Buy flashlight #1 with serious power and good throw (with a bit of spill) since boating at night (especially docking) is a safety issue. Size/weight don't matter and the more lumens and batteries the better, right? Though I don't know what would be too bright and totally blind things within, say, 10 feet.

*General purpose counter flashlight. Single cell, rotary brightness, do-it-all zoomable (a must on his #1 go-to) with good CRI for everything from taking a peek around the backyard and bushes (1 acre) to poking around in the attic to dialing way down when working on a car or motorcycle. At least 3000 lumens, based on my experience with rifle lights, with the ability to dial it in for shorter range needs.

And maybe add:

*High CRI penlight
for getting a good, clear look up close and maneuvering in tight spaces. Good range of output lumens.

Does this sound to be the right mix which I won't regret? If I had to add a fourth what role would you recommend?

Shopping everything available from all the stores is tough enough even if I were sure exactly which combo covers every base without getting too specialized and overloading on flashlights which get lost in drawers.

The reason he has 108 is because he kept buying mediocre hardware store stuff every time he was dissatisfied with something about the last one. Hoping I can replace all that mess with the right set of "the right tools for the job" for a guy who spent his career building things and loves his tools.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me get this Christmas gift right. I wouldn't be asking so much if that perfect unboxing didn't really, really matter for so many reasons after this crazy year.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unlimited budget. I like that :) . Xevision XV-LX50 or XV-LX70 with the addition of a diffuser lens and perhaps a spare bulb. Then an HDS Custom Rotary. None of the above satisfies all of your requirements. And neither does the Prometheus Alpha Blue Label (another recommendation for those with unlimited budgets). There is a wait time involved for the latter two. Offerings from McGizmo and Malkoff (high-low ring) should also be considered...

daffy

Enlightened
Malkoffs are worth a good look dont underrate them because the lumen numbers dont scream into the thousands.
Serious quality light only available in 18650 but a plethora of cells to choose from.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I'm helping my stepdad go through his tools and clean out some unneeded stuff. He loves flashlights, and by the time we rounded them up, the count was 108, most of which were ancient.

I like him already! :D

for the Thrower I`d get the him an Astrolux FT03, get the SST40 version is you want even longer throw but less spill.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For the boat, perhaps consider a light without a lot of lumens but huge candela. When out on the water at night all those lumens will light up all the humidity and cause an eruption of millions of lit droplets near the eyeballs. That in turn reduces the contrast of light versus dark nearby and that reduces ability to distinguish objects at a distance. A narrow beam would be best. Either that or place a snoot over the end of the light to block spill and cast all light forward.

A wrist strap should also be considered for using on the boat.

For the attic a light with a magnet and or two way clip will offer the option of hands free uses without having a head lamp. A smaller light might be the way to go as well.

Don't over think it or you may end up giving a gift that daunts the old school fellow. An HDS rotary is a great option for close up to mid range tasks and a super light option could be the Streamlight HL5X. Both are simple to operate.

Latest posts