Nitecore MT1A

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone out there relay their experiences with this light and let me know if you'd recommend it or not? I'm looking for a single AA light that has a forward clicky and can be set to come on in High mode. Don't need Hi Cri or anything like that. Just looking for something reliable and that is fully controlled by the tail switch. I prefer Fenix lights but their AA offerings are either low, med, high reverse clickies, or have a side switch to change output levels. Sidenote WHY is Nitecore allowed to use the twist for high only UI and Fenix had to abandon it? I never had a Fenix LD10 but I think I would've loved them.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't speak to the MT1A, but with those criteria, personally I'd look at the Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA - and in fact I'm already planning to grab one myself, as it looks like the best 1xAA for my needs. Fully (exclusively) tailcap PB controlled, momentary-on (aka: "forward"), '10-tap' configurable UI(2 of the 3 programs start on High, with one of them High-only), FL1 2-meter impact rating, and a Borofloat lens. Only VERY slightly larger dimensions than the NC you're considering, but also accepts 1xCR123A, which would be nice versatility as a bonus. It appears to tick all the important boxes for me. I'm not aware of another 1xAA from any manufacturer that really does. Reliability is P1 for me, and anecdotal info from various users has indicated great durability / reliability in extended hard use (which is not a surprise to me given what I know). Check out the 'Fact Sheet' for it on the SL site (under 'Documentation') and see what you think.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good call sir, I thought about that light as well. This light is going to be used as a handheld while I'm trail running at night. I will be wearing a headlamp, but I like to have a light in hand that has more throw and more output to shine out into the sticks when I hear a noise etc. Last run I used a Streamlight Microstream. Liked the momentary on, didn't like the low-ish output hence the search for a AA light to fill that role. I have an LD11 that I will try next time and see if a click then half press will do taking place of the momentary. Another option I guess would be an older Quark AA or even a Fenix LD12.
Can't speak to the MT1A, but with those criteria, personally I'd look at the Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA - and in fact I'm already planning to grab one myself, as it looks like the best 1xAA for my needs. Fully (exclusively) tailcap PB controlled, momentary-on (aka: "forward"), '10-tap' configurable UI(2 of the 3 programs start on High, with one of them High-only), FL1 2-meter impact rating, and a Borofloat lens. Only VERY slightly larger dimensions than the NC you're considering, but also accepts 1xCR123A, which would be nice versatility as a bonus. It appears to tick all the important boxes for me. I'm not aware of another 1xAA from any manufacturer that really does. Reliability is P1 for me, and anecdotal info from various users has indicated great durability / reliability in extended hard use (which is not a surprise to me given what I know). Check out the 'Fact Sheet' for it on the SL site (under 'Documentation') and see what you think.