LED quality lantern

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure this is the right forum for lanterns but here goes; I am looking for a good quality LED lantern for my 8 year old grandson. It must be water resistant, rechargeable and bright. He does not like pop-up lanterns! He wants it to fit in his backpack for camping. HELP! Thanks for any suggestions!

parametrek

Enlightened
What is your budget? When you say rechargeable do you mean "can use rechargeable batteries" or rechargeable like a phone?

Unfortunately my database doesn't have a filter option to remove pop-ups.

If you wanted micro-usb charging I would consider the Fenix CL20R or Nitecore LA30.

If you want something that could be loaded with rechargeable AAs: Fenix CL23.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I picked up an LED lantern off ebay for about $10 that takes 1 18650 and has 5 modes H/M/L/Red/Red strobe. It has USB charging.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would suggest looking at the Nitecore L series of lights. The two lipstick-style can't really be called lanterns, but they do light up the immediate area ok. Some are rechargeable, some use cells, and one is rechargeable but can switch to AA cells at need [it's either or].

NomadNumber6

Newly Enlightened
I saw that Olight recently came out with some lanterns. Any idea how those compare to the Fenix ones?

NET WT

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix CL23 lantern and use it almost every day. Have had good experience with Fenix flashlights in the past. The lantern runs on three AA batteries, I use rechargeable ones.

A compact and bright multi mode lantern.

Mine makes a slight whine sound on the highest level. May have got a defective one and bothers me. This happen to anyone else?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an 8 year old, I wouldn't do a lithium ion powered light; at least not one with removable batteries.
look at Rayovac or Uco. Both make decent Alkaline/nimh powered lanterns. Stremlight makes two siege models that are pretty nice too.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olympia WD180 Wilderness Lantern is decent and cheap. You can find it between $10-$30. It's 180 lumens on high (lasts 6.5 hours on a 2000 mAh lithium polymer battery). Has an attachment point for hanging and magnets for mounting to metal. It's micro USB rechargeable. Very compact and lightweight.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an 8 year old, I wouldn't do a lithium ion powered light; at least not one with removable batteries.
look at Rayovac or Uco. Both make decent Alkaline/nimh powered lanterns. Stremlight makes two siege models that are pretty nice too.
Some of the Nitecore L Series lights are internal Li-Ion, making them safe from prying fingers.