ArmyTek        

Thread: Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Solar LED Flood Light?

Default Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Solar LED Flood Light?

Can anyone recommend a decent solar LED floodlight setup for my backyard? This is a LARGE rural property so I'd like some WIDE coverage with a good 500+ lumen output. All I am finding are crappy low output/shower-head junk.
    Last edited by WebHobbit; 11-21-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Default Re: Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Solar LED Flood Light?

I've been buying the Probrite 8500 lumen fixtures for a couple of years now and like them for not only their brightness, but also pleasant color and non-glare appearance. They've actually got three sizes, ranging from $55-120 at Home Depot, but I've also found good prices on eBay for them too.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Hmmm...which models are solar powered? All I see are direct wire. Or did you roll your own?

For actual solar powered lights I've yet to see anything really good yet.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic*

Not to be discouraging but there arenít any good ones sadly. The batteries last no time and half the time they donít charge well enough to put out any light. Iíve tried everything from 20 dollar harbor freight to as much as you want to spend and nothing has lasted any amount of time or worked well enough to justify. If you find a good one you let me know. If itís still good after 6 months Iíll buy one. Itís really been bad.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic

Sorry I can't recommend anything specific, but to the OP: approximately how much area (sq ft.) do you need
    to cover, and how much sunlight would your location get? That might help filter out the smaller stuff,
    from what you need. And I guess, how much do you want to spend (or will you figure that out when to
    see what you want)?

Would this be "always on" or would motion-detector work? Also there are products which are always
    on at lower intensity but go brighter on motion detection.

Here is example of one found in search (disclaimer, I am not endorsing this company or products).

https://www.deelat.ca/solar-lighting...SABEgJ5y_D_BwE

When you find something suitable perhaps some of us could help scrutinize the specs/claims, as a "sanity" check.

As for "shower-head" yes those products are still out there, some using 5mm "indicator LEDs" as they are called...better designs use proper SMT LEDs or COB.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_H; 11-25-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Flashaholic

I've checked out a couple of larger local stores and generally not impressed with solar outdoor lighting
    of this type. In many cases the specs are incomplete, even the battery capacity is not always stated.

Example product has good specs but they need to be interpreted. It can output 2000 lumens, 20W
    at maximum which on the surface seems good. Battery capacity is only 38.5Wh so at most you
    would get less than 2 hours of operation at that level. That assumes 100% battery capacity available which
    will not be the case; guess 75-90% if it's a good design. Light does has several lower settings down to 150
    lumens, but is that high enough; it's what you can get from a small flashlight.

Solar panel rated 5W is likely/usually peak, which is at noon with sun overhead on a sunny day. So don't expect
    battery to fully charge in 8 hours. For fixed panel, available current will vary during light hours. You would
    need to budget for cloudy days or partial cloudiness as well as seasonal changes.

A more realistic estimate based on 100 lumens/W, 400 lumens at 80% efficient (5W), you would
    get perhaps 6 hours or so per night. For consistent operation the battery would need to be charged
    every day, but not from a 5W panel (10-15W likely). Fully discharging the battery every day would
    not help its lifetime, so higher capacity is indicated (if possible). A light like this needs to be "over-engineered",
    the degree depending on user's needs.

Dave