An attempt at moderation, contentment, and gratitude

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should not be on forums. Forums of any kind. While I enjoy the reading, interacting, and learning, it always ends up making me feel like what I have going isn't enough. My mountain bike could use some upgrades, I should switch to this type of camera lens, this pocket knife could really be the only I need, and I need to find the one flashlight to rule them all. Then I end up spending my time and money on buying, selling, and researching, instead of spending my time doing things where I'm just enjoying what I already have. I've bought and sold the same light so many times that it's embarrassing, and I've even bought back lights that I've sold to members. The insanity! Anywho, today I decided to really try to start enjoying what I have and not worry about what I don't have and still need.........again.
Currently I have a Mag ML50L, two E01s (one sanded led and one stock), a Streamlight Microstream, a Fenix LD11, a Zebralight H53w, and a Photon Freedom in a pear tree.
These lights handle any and everything I've ever encountered in my life and then some. Really I could survive with one, or even NONE of these. Wouldn't want to but I'm sure I would survive. With these lights I can check pretty much all the boxes that one encounters as a flashaholic. You need a bright thrower! Maglite works for me. You need something sub lumen! Zebra and Photon Freedom. You need something indestructible that you can rely on! E01. You need a reliable light that you can carry clipped to you! Microstream. You need a solid general user that runs on readily available batteries! Fenix LD11. You get the picture. These lights handle everything from crazy low glow that stays on all night to bright momentary on thrower and whatever else in between. So I am going to be content with what I have, for as long as I can and slow down the insanity. Here is a pic of the family.

Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Snulfur

Newly Enlightened
Nice collection. Big, compact, EDC and even a headlamp, you have something for everything!
I know the feeling. I have a bunch of keyboards, now I have a bunch of flashlights. My car is getting upgrades it don't really need. My duty belt is becoming comical with the amount I spend on it. And really, like you said you could live with only one of each or maybe none at all.
Hopefully I will find a flashlight that suits all my needs, because before I realize or know of what suits me best I just continue the research and the purchases until I find it.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking that I need to adopt the same attitude...
too much stuff. Lights, knives, assorted other crap that I really don't
need.
The problem is, I like it all; it's hard to let it go.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I am going to be content with what I have, for as long as I can and slow down the insanity. Here is a pic of the family.

only 7..
well done
I dont think you have a problem

resistance is futile, for me
Gsi7aKSl.jpg

and thats not the half of it

I do feel very content with my accumulation. Im fortunate to have found lights I enjoy very much.
FMz5Vyxl.png

Wishing you similar pleasures.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are good things to go for. Most of us have so much more than we need.
I've gone full minimalist, and until this week, had only bought one "thing" this year, which was more than paid for by selling other things.

I haven't bought a knife or flashlight in 7 or 8yrs, due to quitting both as hobbies, and going for pure practicality.
As I get older(49 now), I just want less and less stuff to deal with, and to be rid of anything that has no purpose.
Forums certainly don't help, though! The struggle with temptation is real. I started browsing around here again, and next thing you know, I'm shopping flashlights.
'Course I haven't bought any. Yet:D

ledbetter

Enlightened
Yeah, I get it, and I've stopped collecting and following firearms and knives years ago, but some technologies like led flashlights are only getting started, and we're really in a new golden age of flashlights. And I know I don't need 10000 lumens, yet it's fun and interesting to learn what's going on in the industry.

My brother's been an avid cyclist his whole life, and even if he admires his old steel frames and aluminum wheels, but he's mostly riding on carbon fiber and titanium. The new technologies becomes part of the activity and can motivate you to get outside.

"Moderation should be taken with moderation."

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have a simple collection of lights for the most part. I am inspired by yours and have desires to maybe even pare back mine a couple of lights. Thanks for the reminder of what is really important.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
On almost any enthusiast forum there's always someone else who has more, whose stuff is better, gets everything for at least 30% less than you, scores advance releases a month before you did, gets better results than you, etc ad nauseum. It's the same distorted curated view of reality that social media reinvented some ~20 years later - illusory at best.

Keeping up with the Jonses is exhausting and potentially bankrupting. Enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry too much about always having the most and the latest - your bank balance will thank you and focusing on actual utility received will increase satisfaction. The past several years I have found myself delaying - or outright rejecting - what might have previously been more of an impulse purchase in order to better learn about the state of development and quirks of a new thing.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gurdygurds,

You really deserve respect. Not only that you manage to not have a lot more flashlights than you really need. But also what is noticeable on the picture: you USE them. I have more than 100 flashlights and only use a few. Many of them are not used more than a few times. Or used or used...played with is more correct. Because I get my flashlights mainly for fun. And even more are on incoming this week...
But yes; the best is actually when I have practical use of my lights.

nightshade

Enlightened
Enjoy your life, enjoy equipment that serves your needs and wants. External validation is another highly overrated fallacy.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
gurdygurds - you stay you! You've got your flashlight priorities set right.

All the signs of frequent use on your lights warms my heart.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you brother and the point of the post was as much a challenge\reminder to myself as much as to have a conversation. I'll get lulled back to sleep thinking that there is something better out there or something else is needed and I typically have regrets after the purchase. This leads to selling and rebuying craziness. I also need to work on allowing myself to buy something for fun every now and again and not feel guilty that the money could be better used elsewhere. Anyways I'll try to enjoy what I have and stay in this holding pattern for a while and see how it goes.
I tried moderation. That was a mighty long 20 minutes.

Good on you GG.

County

Newly Enlightened
Great thread! Every light I purchase I think it'll be 'the perfect. . do everything light' but there's always some shortcoming. It's helpful to focus on what each light does well. Something that helps me is to think back x-years ago and observe how good we have it now with improved battery technology and obviously improved LEDs.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. The Zebralight comes closest to handling all needs. It goes from silly low to bright enough and can be used as a handheld or a headlamp. It also will run a AAA battery without any modifications and I love the UI. If all the others disappeared I would be well served by the little Zebralight. Also as much as I love the E01, I'm finding that the AAA lights are slowly getting used less and less. The E01 holds a nostalgic place in my flashlight heart but I'm finding I have to go out of my way to use it. The AAA lights may well be sold off at some point.......again lol.
Great thread! Every light I purchase I think it'll be 'the perfect. . do everything light' but there's always some shortcoming. It's helpful to focus on what each light does well. Something that helps me is to think back x-years ago and observe how good we have it now with improved battery technology and obviously improved LEDs.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moderation is fine, so long as it's not excessive.