Malkoff        

Thread: Peanuts

Default Peanuts

I like to buy a pound of raw local grown peanuts in shell and place them on a big ole cooking sheet, toss them in the over at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, turn off oven at 30 and let them stay in the oven 5 more minutes, pull them out and place them in a gallon ziplock and close it up then let them cool over night.

Many in the batch will take on a slightly over done flavor. This recipe is very popular at my work and according to some reports that extra few minutes causes multplication of some heart healthy chemicals.

So, how do you like to prepare peanuts?
    John 3:16

Default Re: Peanuts

I prepare peanuts for eating by pouring them out of the bottle into the palm of my hand.

We did get a large bag of unshelled peanuts a few weeks ago, and they'll probably stay uneaten. I'm already wanting to toss them. Perhaps roasting them like you mentioned, will give them a proper use.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Flashaholic

I toss them with other nuts and pretzels and smoked spicy paprika and brown sugar to make a spiced nut mix that puts chex mix to shame. The only problem is you canít stop eating it and it makes you drink multiple margaritas so I try and save it for holidays and football games. If anyone wants actual recipe, Iíll post it.

Someone once told me that God created nuts with a hard to access shell was His way of telling people they shouldn't eat them by the hand-full.
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

One day I was listening to my radio like any other day and the host had a doctor on who was touting the great benefits roasted peanuts have for the heart. Some kind of flavenoid or something that when roasted multiplies by like 10x but if you over roasted them slightly it multiplied the good stuff dramatically more.

Now he said roasted at something like 339 degrees for something like 29 minutes or something was found to be a great way provided the nuts are spread out on a cookie sheet none touching each other. I don't know about all that. But I do know that over roasting them a little makes them way more delicious.

Back around 2009 I had chronic heartburn. For whatever reason I started eating about a dozen in the shell of my slightly over roasted peanuts at around 10am and the heartburn was gone. Like from day 1. My mentor (at the time) started eating peanuts from the shell cooked at 350 for 30 minutes so I stuck to that formula. You could always tell where he had been on the road work project by the empty shells he left every where.

Anyway, like anything too much is a bad thing. But when my doc started mentioning type 2 diabetes a couple years back I incorparated a few nuts each day to my diet. Walnuts, almonds, sunflower pecans and peanuts rotated at random. If they go stale I just toss them in the yard for the birds to eat and the shells are used in flower beds. Now I do buy sunflower seeds already shelled.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    I toss them with other nuts and pretzels and smoked spicy paprika and brown sugar to make a spiced nut mix that puts chex mix to shame. The only problem is you canít stop eating it and it makes you drink multiple margaritas so I try and save it for holidays and football games. If anyone wants actual recipe, Iíll post it.
    Iíd like the recipe, please.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by light-modder View Post
    Iíd like the recipe, please.
    Spiced Nut Mix
    350 oven on roasting pan or cookie sheet
    recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc

2 cups mixed raw nuts- peanuts, pecans, almonds, and cashews are best. Walnuts donít work
    1 tablespoon butter(donít replace with oil etc)
    3 tablespoon brown sugar
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2+ tablespoon smoked paprika(I prefer hot variety)
    1/2+ teaspoon cocoa powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
    2 cups pretzels
    Toast nuts 10 min in oven
    In large bowl, mix butter, syrup, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and paprika.
    Add warm nuts to bowl and mix thoroughly. Add salt(or half now and half when out of oven)and pretzels and spread onto pan.
    Bake 15+ minutes, stirring half way through and bake til glazed and brown.
    Cool completely and break into chunks. Keeps for one week.

If you want it more like brittle you may wish to increase butter and sugar, but it may stick to some pans. I also tend to add more spice than recipe but to each his own. Enjoy with beverage of choice!