Is there a way to know if 9012 bulbs will work safely in a 9006 reflector?

thrower65

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to upgrade the high and low beams of my 07 Ford 500. I already bought 9011s for the high beams because these seem like my best bet. However, I'm unsure about the low beams, I considered 9012s but some posts seem to indicate they don't work correctly in all reflectors. Does anyone happen to know if they'll work well in the Ford 500? Or have a guess if they'll work? Or should I get some GE Nighthawks instead?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to upgrade the high and low beams of my 07 Ford 500. I already bought 9011s for the high beams because these seem like my best bet. However, I'm unsure about the low beams, I considered 9012s but some posts seem to indicate they don't work correctly in all reflectors. Does anyone happen to know if they'll work well in the Ford 500? Or have a guess if they'll work? Or should I get some GE Nighthawks instead?
One thing that makes it definitely a no-go is when the low beam headlamp does not have a full cap bulb shield. If you can see the blacktop of the HB4 (9006) in the low beam headlamp, an HIR2 (9012) won't work in it. There ARE some blacktopped HIR2 bulbs, but there are other aspects of the lamp design that can still make it a no-go even then, for example certain model years of GM composite headlamps for pickup trucks.

The '07 500 does appear to have that bulb shield, at least.

Your lamps are 13 years old-- there will be lens AND reflector degradation at this point and you probably need new ones. Only genuine Ford parts will do-- not "OEM-style" or "OE-style"-- the must be genuine. And, of course, they must be aimed correctly!

Daniel Stern (www.danielsternlighting.com) has those HIR2s with the blacktop-- ask him if he has them and be sure he knows what vehicle you have. If he doesn't sell you the bulbs it's not because he's mean, it's because they are life-critical safety equipment.

Virgil will also know if that car is a good candidate for the HIR2, as well, and may be along shortly.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You've caught me with my shoes untied; that particular lamp is not one I have data for, so I can't comment authoritatively. Dan Stern probably knows; send him an email and he'll give you the straight poop about it. Good work asking first instead of just plunging ahead!

thrower65

Newly Enlightened
Thank both of you guys! I'll start by buying new headlamps, one at a time because they're a bit expensive.. I was just going to restore the lenses with spar urethane, but it may not be worth it, I never knew about reflector degradation. I think I'll just polish the fog lights instead because I only use them a few times a year. Maybe paint them yellow too. Also I can get them aimed professionally afterwards I get the bulbs sorted out. I'll email Mr. Stern now for more info about the HIR2. Thanks!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You're on the right track, and it looks like you've searched through the threads on here and picked up the important stuff. Try to get real (OE Ford) headlamps not because they're much better than the aftermarket ones -- often to such a degree that the OE headlamp is safe to use with an upgraded bulb, while an aftermarket one isn't because of poor glare control. I spot good prices on the Ford lamps here (other side here ).

thrower65

Newly Enlightened