HDS Systems        

Thread: Flashlight for Dad on his hobby farm

Post Flashlight for Dad on his hobby farm

Hello!

My dad's birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him a nice flashlight for his hobby farm where he practically lives. He is not heavily compatible/interested in high-tech so I need to find a middle ground between simplicity and features.

Here are features that I am imagining:

- Simple, 'set and forget' functionality; he will not use it if it involves clicking five times to get to the right power level. I guess I'm imagining a lower power 'task' level and a high power 'what the hell was that' level.
    - Good power/throw to assess property from a fair distance (ex., spotting coyotes)
    - Reasonably weather resistant
    - Rechargeable
    - Not necessarily pocket sized but capable of being stashed in a coat/pants pocket for brief spurts (i.e., not gigantic); this is not a strict requirement
    - Price point under ~$70 or thereabouts, if possible

Does such a light exist?

Thanks much for any thoughts, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Default Re: Flashlight for Dad on his hobby farm

BTTT. Help this guy out.

Bill

Do you want on board charging or just the ability to use rechargeable batteries?
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    BTTT. Help this guy out.

Bill
    Thanks for the bump!

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Do you want on board charging or just the ability to use rechargeable batteries?
    I would say either would be fine, but onboard might be easiest for him. Probably not a 'make or break' issue.

Maglite Ml150LRS:

https://maglite.com/collections/rech...ing-flashlight

Mag is running a 30% off black Friday sale, I think someone posted the code in the "will I turn into a Maglite fan" thread.

^^^^ if you can spare the extra bit of cash thatís a good bet. Itíll be a design heís probably familiar with and easy as pie to operate.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

The ML150 LRS is the short version. It is about the size of a 2C Maglite. The LR is about the size of a 3C Maglite like you may have seen in WalMart (ML50).
    John 3:16

Thanks for the tip on the Maglite! Might be a bit out of budget right now but I'll keep looking at it.

Default Flashlight for Dad on his hobby farm

Browning Crossfire.

Last edited by desertrunner; 11-30-2020 at 11:41 PM.

What about a rotary ring flashlight? The first thing that comes to mind is the Fenix PD40R V2.0.

Do you think that design interface would work for him? You just twist the head to get it brighter. So there are multiple modes, and its dead simple. The Fenix is probably too big, and too expensive, but its the first thing that came to mind. If that interface would work, I'm sure people can suggest a good rotary flashlight in your price range.