Zebralight H501 Red issue

Cemoi

Enlightened
Hi all,
I have a H501R (red emitter) which worked fine so far.
Suddenly it stopped working : did not light up at all. It has not fallen down, no shock, no water, nothing special.
So I cleaned the contacts, and put it a fully charged NiMH : worked again sometimes, but with an erratic behaviour.
Tried a fresh primary Alkaline : again erratic behaviour. Same with a fresh primary Lithium.
What I call "erratic behaviour" is:
  • Sometimes after the battery change I see the very short and bright usual flash when tightening the tailcap, and then it works normally.
  • On other battery changes the LED will turn on permanently but very faint. Any action on the switch (either short or long click) does not turn out the LED, I need to unscrew the tailcap to make it go off.
  • Sometimes on battery change the LED glows dim for a fraction of a second, then turns off. One click will turn it on again for a few seconds (very dim) then out.
  • Sometimes it will not turn on at all, I don't even see the initial brief flash.

It doesn't seem to be correlated with the battery type (NiMH, Alkaline, Lithium), i.e. I can see different behaviours with one given battery type, or the same behaviour with different battery types.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess, bad board, and a trip to Zebralight for repair...

Hi all,
I have a H501R (red emitter) which worked fine so far.
Suddenly it stopped working : did not light up at all. It has not fallen down, no shock, no water, nothing special.
So I cleaned the contacts, and put it a fully charged NiMH : worked again sometimes, but with an erratic behaviour.
Tried a fresh primary Alkaline : again erratic behaviour. Same with a fresh primary Lithium.
What I call "erratic behaviour" is:
  • Sometimes after the battery change I see the very short and bright usual flash when tightening the tailcap, and then it works normally.
  • On other battery changes the LED will turn on permanently but very faint. Any action on the switch (either short or long click) does not turn out the LED, I need to unscrew the tailcap to make it go off.
  • Sometimes on battery change the LED glows dim for a fraction of a second, then turns off. One click will turn it on again for a few seconds (very dim) then out.
  • Sometimes it will not turn on at all, I don't even see the initial brief flash.

It doesn't seem to be correlated with the battery type (NiMH, Alkaline, Lithium), i.e. I can see different behaviours with one given battery type, or the same behaviour with different battery types.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Cemoi

Enlightened
a trip to Zebralight for repair...
I wrote to them, and they replied (very quickly :twothumbs) that they "no longer have the parts/components needed for repairing the H501 series lights".
Therefore RIP my dear H501R :mecry:

Cemoi

Enlightened
The switch was the culprit.
I force-removed the switch boot (which almost destroyed it : the outer thinner edge was partly torn in the process), sprayed some contact cleaner, let it dry for a while, and now it works normally :twothumbs.

So now the question is: how to replace the switch boot, which means:

1. Find a way to remove the metal bezel,
  2. Find a (preferably GITD) replacement boot.