Most lumens single emitter headlamps

Oiylight

Newly Enlightened
What headlamps are out there that offer the most lumens without stepping down the output? Needing a headlamp for mountain biking & off-trail hiking/navigation. Seems like there are some decent outputs around 2,500- 4,000 lumens but they step down in just a minute or so which sounds annoying for technical/dangerous areas. Must be fully waterproof as well.
Currently looking at Thrunite TH30, Olight Perun 2, Nitecore HC35, Zebralight, Fenix, Acebeam, etc.
Because I need something super durable, I am leaning away from headlamps with cords.
The Olight proximity sensor sounds like it might be dangerous. Does anyone have experience using it while navigating through heavy brush with uneven ground in which you need extra light? It would also be scary if the sensor dims the light on accident for leafy plants or rain at speed while mountain biking.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Patapuss

Newly Enlightened
Hey! I use a Petzl Swift RL for night riding. I also run a light in my handlebars so that I can see where my bike is heading and I can look up to see where I want to go. Hope this helps, and happy riding!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus HA2C 3200 lumens 18650 headlight. Use it at 400 lumens or lower and you don't have to worry about stepdowns. Most lights you'll get a max of 300-500 lumens if you don't want it to step down. 1000 lumen setting will work okay with airflow from bike riding. If you want higher constant brightness, get a bike mounted light with a big heatsink.

Oiylight

Newly Enlightened
Hey! I use a Petzl Swift RL for night riding. I also run a light in my handlebars so that I can see where my bike is heading and I can look up to see where I want to go. Hope this helps, and happy riding!
Cool light, but it isn't close to being waterproof enough for me. Nice looking light, but I know I would kill it.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
What headlamps are out there that offer the most lumens without stepping down the output? Needing a headlamp for mountain biking & off-trail hiking/navigation. Seems like there are some decent outputs around 2,500- 4,000 lumens but they step down in just a minute or so which sounds annoying for technical/dangerous areas. Must be fully waterproof as well.
Currently looking at Thrunite TH30, Olight Perun 2, Nitecore HC35, Zebralight, Fenix, Acebeam, etc.

If you need truly 2500-4000 lumens without stepping down, then lamp must have its mass and lot of cooling fins.
Without any promoting our lamps, here is example how massive fins must be there to cool down properly 3200lumens. Inside, there are 4 current best XP-L2,V6 leds, copper board and efficient electronics to eliminate all heating and still in 20C degrees ambient without any movement it overheats after 4 minutes. This lamp cools down properly in 20C when you run, even slowly. When in lower temperatures, its much better.

Front side:https://luciferlights.net/image/data/VELKE/Headlamp_orienteering_02.jpg
Back side:https://luciferlights.net/image/data/FINAL/Orienteering_headlamp_01c.jpg

I wanted to say, that you should either think whether you really need so large light output or be prepared that these high lumens are only for few minutes until they stepdown because of high temperature. Also I think that cordless 21700 powered headlamp is quite front heavy for off trail hiking. Better when the weight is distributed between front and back but you wrote that you dont want cords. So as a compromise, I would rather use 18650 format.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are two very different uses, calling for two different setups
Anything suitable for mtb is going to be massive overkill for bushwhacking in terms of size, weight, and maintainable brightness. Plus, it will need to be helmet mounted, or a helmet mount + bar mount system vs. a headband.
I'm all about the neutral tint floody Fw model Zebralights for the hiking part, but for mtb, I'd be looking at stuff like the Gloworm X2, XS, XSV, etc. Gloworm has multiple emitter lights with changeable optics(like spot/flood/"wide"), so you can mix and match combinations of them to your trails, and use battery packs with 2 or 4 18650s.

I envy you the mountain biking. Don't think I've ever been so passionate about anything, but had to give it up(trying to avoid a triple anterior fusion for my "90yr old" back, per the orthopedic surgeon).
I don't suppose you want to buy a medium Canfield Riot?:ironic:

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
This setup doesn't fit into everyone of your stipulations, but it has an output of 2200 lumens and won't step down.
With all my headlamp knowledge, not particularly about this one, I think that it must step down. It heavily depends on the situation and airflow. Thats is totally different if you are riding on a bike or just standing still with the lamp on your head. When standing still I doubt it will cool down properly.

IMHO also the overall weight 484gr. is quite large for just hiking/navigating. It calls ideally for two different setups like Owen suggested. Still I think a cordless 18650 light is the best compromise for both activities if you dont want to have two lights.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
With all my headlamp knowledge, not particularly about this one, I think that it must step down. It heavily depends on the situation and airflow. Thats is totally different if you are riding on a bike or just standing still with the lamp on your head. When standing still I doubt it will cool down properly.

IMHO also the overall weight 484gr. is quite large for just hiking/navigating. It calls ideally for two different setups like Owen suggested. Still I think a cordless 18650 light is the best compromise for both activities if you dont want to have two lights.

After looking over the specs, I don't be lieve that it does step down from the 2200 lumens, since they probably figure that you'll be moving at a pretty decent speed while you're using it.
https://www.niterider.com/collections/mtb-bicycle-lighting-systems/products/6807-pro-2200-race
You could always get this bike light.:nana:
https://www.niterider.com/collectio...-systems/products/6806-pro-4200-enduro-remote

In the end it might be best to get a seperate headlamp and a seperate bike light, rather than trying to make one light pull double duty.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
After looking over the specs, I don't be lieve that it does step down from the 2200 lumens, since they probably figure that you'll be moving at a pretty decent speed while you're using it.
https://www.niterider.com/collections/mtb-bicycle-lighting-systems/products/6807-pro-2200-race

It must have thermal protection and step down when overheated to be safe! Manufacturer must predict worst case scenario, like a user do not knowing anything about cooling or reading the manual. Also its quite different when ambient is 0C or 25C, you cannot expect from the user to know how much airflow in various temperatures is needed to cool down the light.

BTW: the body doesnt look full aluminium either. Its hard to see it on few low resolution pictures but outter parts are probably plastic, not aluminium, which heavily limits cooling ability.

Last edited:

Latest posts