Bomb Proof Dog Collar Light?

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
I'm tired of going through cheap lights for my dog. I have a 30lb shortybull that I need a light for. She's short so she's easy to lose sight of in the woods at night. We need a rugged, solid lighted collar or light that hangs from a collar so that we can keep an eye on her at night when we're in the mountains. Im open to batteries or a re-chargeable light.

thoughts?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I used a AAA maglite solitaire on my Great Dane. Relatively cheap plenty bright and surprisingly tough.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a passive light in the form of a fiber optic collar or pendant. I don't want a flashlight hanging from her neck. We sit around the fire all night, I don't to want to have 1000 lumens in my eye all night 😂

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
your experience with the lows of a zebralight convey the lower than 1000 lumens capability of the light. i would also dare say that a aaa maglite solitare will not give 1000 lumens either. a light designed for a dogs collar can be had, but was not specified. let us know how your search ends up.

I'm looking for a passive light in the form of a fiber optic collar or pendant. I don't want a flashlight hanging from her. We sit at around the fire all night, I don't want to have 1000 lumens in my eye all night 

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
your experience with the lows of a zebralight convey the lower than 1000 lumens capability of the light. i would also dare say that a aaa maglite solitare will not give 1000 lumens either. a light designed for a dogs collar can be had, but was not specified. let us know how your search ends up.

even at 100 lumens, I don't want a flashlight beam bouncing all over the campsite at night. I have a headache now just thinking about it.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
I'm not trying to be an *** but I literally have a ZL SC63 in pocket right now and I use it to find firewood or flag down low flying aircraft, I'd rather not have it tied to my dogs neck 😂 I'm just looking for something to help me find my dog when we play ball at night. I like the glow collars cause they're easy on the night vision but they are so cheap that they don't last more than a few weeks of hard use.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
which leads me back to a zl h model, as a matter of fact they have a h502pr model. have a look.

I'm not trying to be an *** but I literally have a ZL SC63 in pocket right now and I use it to find firewood or flag down low flying aircraft, I'd rather not have it tied to my dogs neck  I'm just looking for something to help me find my dog when we play ball at night. I like the glow collars cause they're easy on the night vision but they are so cheap that they don't last more than a few weeks of hard use.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
which leads me back to a zl h model, as a matter of fact they have a h502pr model. have a look.

interesting light. Thank you! I'm looking further into it now.

"deep red is almost invisible to wildlife at night and allows interactions without causing stress to animals. Conducting research on bats and nesting sea turtles, this tiny red headlamp has proven invaluable."

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Look up the Nox gear lighthound harness. They are absolutely amazing! Not sure I can post the direct link. When they say up to 1/4 mile visibility they are being conservative. Everyone on my dog park friends has purchased one of these.

not a direct link so I think this pic is ok
20181125_144701.jpg

smolone

Newly Enlightened
I'm tired of going through cheap lights for my dog. I have a 30lb shortybull that I need a light for. She's short so she's easy to lose sight of in the woods at night. We need a rugged, solid lighted collar or light that hangs from a collar so that we can keep an eye on her at night when we're in the mountains. Im open to batteries or a re-chargeable light.

thoughts?

CC80-E73-C-C657-4482-83-F7-477377-AEBE21.jpg
Just casually waking up a decade old thread to ask if you found something, because I have the same issue. Cheap glow collars are dim, want to be charged all the time, light fades to one side, stop charging if you breathe on it.. awful, meanwhile my old petzl headlamp goes for weeks on a tiny battery pack. How can the glow collars all be such a load of garbage with no premium options on the market?

the Nox gear lighthound looks good, though I'm not sure if the shape would fit my dog and I can't seem to find it here anyway :(

Nite-Ize makes a several pet-specific collar lights. They also make the SpotLit, a small, reasonably rugged, battery-powered pendant light that is easily clipped to a dog collar. Take a look at the company's website, under PETS, and under ILLUMINATION (subheading Lifestyle). THe light's output is intentionally kept low; you can easily see it at a distance, but it won't blind you when close in.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Just casually waking up a decade old thread to ask if you found something, because I have the same issue. Cheap glow collars are dim, want to be charged all the time, light fades to one side, stop charging if you breathe on it.. awful, meanwhile my old petzl headlamp goes for weeks on a tiny battery pack. How can the glow collars all be such a load of garbage with no premium options on the market?

the Nox gear lighthound looks good, though I'm not sure if the shape would fit my dog and I can't seem to find it here anyway :(

most dog lights are garbage... we've went through at least a dozen or more until last year ( I think? ) Olight came out with the Gober.
Now I know Olights reputation, but this light is actually awesome. My dog's been wearing it in the hot summer, snow, rain and it has worked flawlessly ever since, with 1-2 hour walks in the night it goes for around a month with a single charge, different light modes, it's great.
Oh right, and you can even put an airtag in the holder!

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
Definitely go for a GA Micro from Guardian Angel Devices

I have the green/green one for my dog mounted to the top of his harness with the bolt-on strap mount.

It's super durable, very bright, waterproof enough for some immersion, rechargeable, etc... Even though the mount is magnetic my dog has never once shaken it off despite his best attempts. There's even an option to bolt the light directly to the magnetic mount if you want even more security, plus a lanyard loop if you still want a third level of backup retention.

It also projects 90% or so of the light out to the sides so when your dog is walking by your side you never get blinded if you look down at them. If you're not planning on getting one immediately you can wait for their BOGO promotion that usually happens at least once a year. If you buy one Full-size (Pro) GA they'll toss in a free GA Micro. Sorry that this recommendation is 3 years late or so, but I just learned about these last December. They're a bit pricey, but I'd definitely consider them to be at least 10X better and easier to use than every other dog light on the market.

Attachments

• IMG_20240216_231725230.jpg
    IMG_20240216_231725230.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240216_231844552_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240216_231844552_HDR.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 23

smolone

Newly Enlightened
Nite-Ize makes a several pet-specific collar lights. They also make the SpotLit, a small, reasonably rugged, battery-powered pendant light that is easily clipped to a dog collar. Take a look at the company's website, under PETS, and under ILLUMINATION (subheading Lifestyle). THe light's output is intentionally kept low; you can easily see it at a distance, but it won't blind you when close in.

Oh my gosh I had forgotten all about this, you so much for your time and ideas!
I was looking for something non-dangly, but it looks like they have that too. And they are available and decently priced. Only issue is that they look exactly like all the other crap ones- but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when my latest cheapo craps out.

most dog lights are garbage... we've went through at least a dozen or more until last year ( I think? ) Olight came out with the Gober.
Now I know Olights reputation, but this light is actually awesome. My dog's been wearing it in the hot summer, snow, rain and it has worked flawlessly ever since, with 1-2 hour walks in the night it goes for around a month with a single charge, different light modes, it's great.
Oh right, and you can even put an airtag in the holder!

This sounds good- I'm still trying to find something non-dangly, but this actually looks like a great camping option too.

Definitely go for a GA Micro from Guardian Angel Devices

I have the green/green one for my dog mounted to the top of his harness with the bolt-on strap mount.

It's super durable, very bright, waterproof enough for some immersion, rechargeable, etc... Even though the mount is magnetic my dog has never once shaken it off despite his best attempts. There's even an option to bolt the light directly to the magnetic mount if you want even more security, plus a lanyard loop if you still want a third level of backup retention.

It also projects 90% or so of the light out to the sides so when your dog is walking by your side you never get blinded if you look down at them. If you're not planning on getting one immediately you can wait for their BOGO promotion that usually happens at least once a year. If you buy one Full-size (Pro) GA they'll toss in a free GA Micro. Sorry that this recommendation is 3 years late or so, but I just learned about these last December. They're a bit pricey, but I'd definitely consider them to be at least 10X better and easier to use than every other dog light on the market.
Thank you for the detailed links and photos! Yes this is more like I was looking for. Also, man, I'd love to do SAR. I think for my 22 lb dog this might be a bit bulky, but dammit now I want it and a GSD to go with it..

-----

I've found someone who can get the noxgear lighthound for me, but it kinda has the same issue (bump on the back).. but, I guess we'll see. Hopefully this post is thread is going to be helpful for others.