A few questions - considering my first HDS

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good morning all,

I've been EDCing a Sunwayman V11R for a few years now - actually I'm on my second one, I like the format that much. I have actually worn out the holster on my second one and as such have been considering the purchase of a better holster, which prompts the question, if you use it that much (and I do, I probably use it at least once a day, every day) why not get a better light? Well there isn't much out there in the single 16340, rotary control format. The V11R is now discontinued, the only similar light available would be the Jetbeam RRT-01 Raptor, which is a little more expensive. Or, I could just bite the bullet and get a HDS Rotary with the nice leather holster and be done with it. Price is a little rough, but I haven't ruled it out yet.

Considering getting a Rotary with SDR50 because I also like high CRI and it seems to get good reviews (the emitter that is. HDS has been getting excellent reviews ever since I've been paying attention to such things.)

Questions:

- are the rumored 18350/18500 battery compartments available/going to be available (or at least available to order) while there is still stock of the SDR50 or is that a gamble and I should just order the 16340 version? Or don't worry about it because by that time there'll be a new, mo' betta HCRI emitter anyway?
- I see the lights are advertised as shipping with battery, is this a primary or rechargeable? That really doesn't matter much to me except that my EDC cells are a pair of old AWs and one Olight (the other let me down badly, in a utility tunnel under an old building in downtown DC... Always carry a backup light! Always! That was not a pleasant place to be until I realized that I could use my phone to get out. I had brought extra cells, but they weren't in my pocket but in my laptop bag in the car...) and I could use some more. Would probably order at least one rechargeable cell with a light if i pull the trigger.

Been doing some clean up around the house and while waiting for laundry have been reading some of the HDS threads. Random thoughts -

- I actually have an idea as to how to "shim" a 16340 into a 18350 tube with stuff that can be carried with the light. Would a pair of o-rings work? you'd put them around the cell when using a 16340, and then they could sit in the area between the cell and the battery connection if using an 18340. Or is that just so simple it'd never work? Been tried and the O-rings won't fit? Other?

- I had to chuckle at the thread asking about EMP but it's actually a good question, seeing as there's an electronic driver. I guess the most susceptible areas would be the LED itself and under the rubber switch cap? anywhere else, being completely surrounded by metal, ought to be fine. Now that makes me wonder about the 6P in my emergency bag; normally you'd think a 6P would be everything proof but this one I replaced the bulb and tailcap with Malkoff stuff - the tailcap doesn't matter as it's still just a switch but the drop in might? Again, the emitter itself is exposed. Or are LEDs not as susceptible to EMP as are typical small electronic components?

Well that's about it, any thoughts or info welcome.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18350 and 18500 are a one time only limited part. The preorder ended ~one month ago. Therefore you must check out the marketplace in ~6 month. Maybe there will ne a few offered...?
If you buy a light with 16340 compartment, than a CR123 is in the light. If you order your light with a 18650 compartment, than it ix shipped with 18650 cell.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should contact Hogo immediately to see if you can still get in on the preorder for one of the 18xxx battery compartments. May be possible, even though the preorder is officially closed.

You can order an SDR50 light with or without a 16340 battery compartment. So you have options. Whatever you decide, this will become your favorite light, I wager.

Last edited:

klackey

Enlightened
A few thoughts.... I think the battery choices are back to the standard 3 choices of 123/ 18650 / 2xAA. The others you mentioned were special one time only buy. Lately I have been EDC the 18650..... a touch large but love the guilt free long run times. It also makes the 123 seem very small.

As for HDS.... do it! Yes, they are $$ but they are really that nice..... I have a large collection of lights from across the $ range. HDS is what I carry and depend on day in day out. I might play with something else but it quickly gets put away as I am spoiled by the rotary control. I am not very "nice" to my lights and they have held up fine over the years....

As for the SDR50 it is now my go to hands down favorite led.......... it is almost prefect. I have all the current led choices and a good many of the past emitters and the SDR50 is very, very good. I said "almost" as I like just a touch warmer but it is fine. The beam is a bit of a flood that almost acts like a triple but with a better center hot spot. For most of my uses I am finding the SDR50 beam pattern is ideal, from night walks in the woods, blasting a wall of light into the wooded back back yard, to inside the house lighting chores it really works well. That said all my HDS emitters work very well in those areas but I have become a "snob" and have preferences that most general users would not see or be critical of. The SDR50 is the current light King of my collection.. "until" something like a 4,000-4,500k emitter that has the same pattern as the SDR50

EMP thoughts ... I have nothing to say.............

Enough of my ramblings ........ however you cant go wrong with a HDS and it will be only the first...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are in dangerous territory... few people have just 1 HDS.

Emitter is very much a personal preference... which can change with time of day and use.

I don't like to disappoint people even though I have the personality of a badger cross bred with a pit-viper at times, so when I put the pre-order for the special tubes with the machinist, I put in a few extra... a few... not many... so you may be able to pick one up in 6 months if you still desire one.

As for EMP... while the light will still work, you will have bigger problems. I solved those already by having a propane grill, an obscene amount of propane, cases of BBQ sauce, and a list of the neighbors I want to eat first.

mrdabble

Newly Enlightened
My flashlight collection was once very vast.
I got an HDS Tactical cr123, carried it formally.
Might i say, its every thing you'll want and more in a flashlight and more.
Had the guy at Thor's Leather craft me a stingray holster with extra battery pouch.
Started carrying it on my belt at work, too.
Now, if im wearing a belt im most certainly wearing it unless it's extremely formal.
Its been years now.. occasionally i use my zebra light or eagletac ti clicky going minimalist but the HDS is king.
Been running that set up prolly 5 years or more

Eventually bought a 18650 version as well, i keep that in my backpack in my truck as a backup.

If you dont have one and you're here, and you can afford it, dont hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flashlight collection was once very vast.
I got an HDS Tactical cr123, carried it formally.
Might i say, its every thing you'll want and more in a flashlight and more.
Had the guy at Thor's Leather craft me a stingray holster with extra battery pouch.
Started carrying it on my belt at work, too.
Now, if im wearing a belt im most certainly wearing it unless it's extremely formal.
Its been years now.. occasionally i use my zebra light or eagletac ti clicky going minimalist but the HDS is king.
Been running that set up prolly 5 years or more

Eventually bought a 18650 version as well, i keep that in my backpack in my truck as a backup.

If you dont have one and you're here, and you can afford it, dont hesitate.

Funny you should mention those two.

I bought a used ZebraLight headlight. I quit using it because it'd eat cells. Now I have a cheap Milwaukee headlight. Amazing that it's as bright as "flashaholic" lights were 10 years ago.

I bought an EagleTac Ti, and I don't carry it because the low mode isn't low enough. I *specifically* bought it because at the time I was dating someone who was in the hospital a lot, and wanted something with a low-low mode that would allow me to read in a hospital room without bothering anyone. I ended up getting a VN modified V11R, that died, been carrying a standard V11R ever since. Have found that having a flashlight on my belt at all times is not only useful in a hospital but at work and just for general around the house stuff. I can tell my eyes are less adaptable as I get older, and carrying a light just makes life easier. I would have sold the EagleTac but I dropped it and left a mark on it so now it's in the bottom of a box.

You all are really saying nothing at all to talk me *out* of buying the light, are you?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18350 and 18500 are a one time only limited part. The preorder ended ~one month ago. Therefore you must check out the marketplace in ~6 month. Maybe there will ne a few offered...?
If you buy a light with 16340 compartment, than a CR123 is in the light. If you order your light with a 18650 compartment, than it ix shipped with 18650 cell.

My apologies, I was thinking they were still under development. Well, I haven't been on CPF regularly at all in several years so serves me right.

Any current recommends for a 16340? As I said I am still using some old AWs and one Olight, although since the other Olight of the pair failed on me I don't know if I really trust them.

mrdabble

Newly Enlightened
If buying lights is your problem
HDS is the cure
Its a little bit bigger than i prefer for pocket carry
The pocket clips they have are well engineered but bulky and i have had one pop off for a loss because i didn't realize it so i would def look into getting a nice holster straight away and an extra batt compartment is clutch.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are in dangerous territory... few people have just 1 HDS.

Emitter is very much a personal preference... which can change with time of day and use.

I don't like to disappoint people even though I have the personality of a badger cross bred with a pit-viper at times, so when I put the pre-order for the special tubes with the machinist, I put in a few extra... a few... not many... so you may be able to pick one up in 6 months if you still desire one.

As for EMP... while the light will still work, you will have bigger problems. I solved those already by having a propane grill, an obscene amount of propane, cases of BBQ sauce, and a list of the neighbors I want to eat first.

I have several old tube receivers, so as long as there's still radio stations we can have tunes :) Sadly, I got rid of the last of my old Studebakers a while back, and even that one had an "orange box" ignition conversion. Although maybe that would be OK as it was potted in a metal box? Screwed to an inner fender, that would approximate a Faraday cage... guessing alternator diodes would still be OK?

Edit: serious question, although this is just curiosity and the answer really doesn't matter. Since the battery compartments are being sold separately, does that mean that the electronics that are tweaked and tuned for proper output are all in the head, the battery compartment is just that plus the switch? I'm just curious.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: serious question, although this is just curiosity and the answer really doesn't matter. Since the battery compartments are being sold separately, does that mean that the electronics that are tweaked and tuned for proper output are all in the head, the battery compartment is just that plus the switch? I'm just curious.

Most electronics are in the head (everything that controls output and whatnot) though the Rotary/Tactical does have a chip in the tail (it is actually a dual processor networked flashlight), though the electronics in the tail just tell the head what to do... kind of like of like a supervisor in that it doesn't do any of the actual work but just tells others what to do.

doctordun

Enlightened
One of the most expensive things I ever did was buy my first HDS. Now I am several lights in with three being special buys and Thor's Hammer holsters for each one. I have always been a "buy the best quality you can" guy. The only other brand I buy now is Malkoff, but for every day carry it's HDS. Malkoff fills a couple needs/wants that HDS doesn't cover.