Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite /best flashlight of 2020?

Default What's your favorite /best flashlight of 2020?

We are nearing the end of 2020 already, and I always enjoy looking back and seeing the actual improvements/changes in the flashlight world.
    So what is/are your best flashlight(s) of 2020.

Here are the ones people liked from past years:

Best of 2019

Best of 2018

Best of 2017

Best of 2016

Best of 2015

Best of 2014

Best of 2013

Best EDC of 2012

Default Re: What's your favorite /best flashlight of 2020?

Mine:
    Weltool W4 for throw

Good timing. Thanks for doing this.

I was glad to see Fenix release an E01 version 2. It may not have been the hit Fenix was hoping for but it was nice to see them take what they learned with the E05 and put it into an even smaller new style of E01.

I was also glad to see Sofirn release a C01 similar to the Yuji, another no nonsense low output one using a similar 5mm LED called Sophia. More colors for bodies as well as a red LED version.

Other than that my lights this year have been time travellers anywhere between 2010 and 2018 along with an upgraded Maglite here or there.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-02-2020 at 06:44 AM.
    John 3:16

Nitecore E4K. Goes from 2 to 4400 lumens on a single 21700 cell. Has fast charging usb-c rechargeable battery. Has quick access to low and turbo and quick temporary access to turbo while on. Lights up a whole mountainside on turbo. Good spread of brightness settings.

Lumintop GT94. 20,000 lumens and 2,450 meters throw. Very big performance, from a very big light.
    2 Cor 5:6-8

Mine is Noctigon K1vn, a mod by Vinh Nguyen at Skylumen.com
    Super performance in both brightness and throw, while runtimes are long due to great heat management, all in a mid-sized light. I'm using Samsung 40T 21700 battery. 5150 lumens, 545,000cd, 1476 meters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MAD777; 12-02-2020 at 01:16 PM.

same reply as on Reddit and BLF

AAA, the Manker E02II.
    AA, Manker T02
    CR123, Manker E04
    18350, Sofirn SP40
    18650, Emisar D4V2
    21700, astrolux EC03
    26650, astrolux FT03

Zebralight H600Fc is the only thing I've ordered for over a year. Absolutely beautiful tint! I'm curious to compare the H600Fd in person but can't spare the extra $$. There's a chance I'll like that even better.
    GOOD TINT!

Interesting thread here !

Gotta' say --

Much Respect for the new Sofirn C01S flashlights !

Very handy and useful 1xAAA budget light
    with two output levels (3 and 90 Lumens),
    and a Perfect Beam from its TIR lens
    and Luminus SST20 4000K LED.

All for just 10 Bucks (US)
    on Amazon, for prompt delivery !

Truly a Little GEM

Flashaholic*

I have a fondness for Sofirn as well..
    Started with a couple C01.. and ended up with over a doz aaa lights
    Now I am eyeballing there twisty dive light. Thank God it doesn't come in colors!

Bought this on a chance earlier this year and its one of the BEST lights I ever owned. USB rechargeable, can be carried, hung and has a kick stand. The Nebo Tango.

After not using it for a period I lit up my yellow 320 lumen G2x Pro while helping my elderly dog up n own the doggy ramp and it occured to me that this is still my favorite LED flashlight ever. The tan one was until I snagged a yellow one.

My favorite flashlight ever is still an incan 2c generic number made in the Bright Star factory in the 1980's with a Tung Sol PR6 bulb in it.

I have a new model of a AA light on the way, which might end up being my favorite 2020 model year light.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-06-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks for the responses. Only 11 people who bought flashlights this year.. that's not many

Flashaholic*

Iíll throw one in the mix. My fraz labs tiny nugget 18350 isnít just my favorite light of 2020, itís slowly becoming my favorite light of all time. Itís a tough as nails design with infinitely variable twisty brightness at a price tag you just canít beat for what you get. They are extremely responsive to questions/concerns as well. Iíve carried mine almost every day since I received it.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

...and I`d like to add for 10180 category the Sofirn SC01

Flashaholic*

Not much competition for favorite, since my only flashlight purchase of 2020 was also my first in ~8yrs.
    Zebralight SC64w HI. Having been on the Zebralight boat from day 1, there've been some ups and downs over the years, but this light is obviously the end result of much refinement.
    From the machining, anodizing, and switch to the improved clip, increased programmability of the UI, and glorious tint of the LED, there's just nothing bad to say about it, aside from the complexity of programming additional groups(and that may be a user deficiency).
    .24/2.7, 21.3/118, 467/1300 lumens...what a spread of individually useful levels!

My best light, in terms of quality and reliability, remains a Malkoff MD2/M61N. It's by far my most heavily used flashlight, and I guess if I had to choose ONE to be stuck with, I'd put the Hi/Lo ring back in it, and carry on.
    Love my Zebralights, but kinda view them as fair weather friends. My Malkoffs always have my back

Really cant pick one...

In no order: HDS Rotary 18650 NLT, Oveready copper BOSS 35, BLF LT1, Frelux Synergy 2, Fraz Labs 18650 Lumenite, Malkoff M91N, various flavors of Aunduril Chinese lights (fun), and my first Hanko in years that I wont see till 12/25!!!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Finally scored one of the Prometheus Beta Ti lights. Really have to be ready when they do their limited run. I just didn't realize how quickly they sold out once announced.

For a few years I down sized to smaller and smaller while the lights got brighter and brighter. However I kept noticing the same lights were being used and the smaller/brighter numbers were not. Whenever I leave home I carry either my PKDL PL2 or the PR-1 (or both) in a trouser pocket. They make really good shadow lighters or if the lights suddenly go out in a box store they allow me to find an exit.

But for after dark purposes I find I'm using less output from the little lights so my go to are typically 15 lumens or less, which can easily get the job done around the house or in the cab of my vehicle. I went from a Fenix E01 to a Sofirn C01 with a Yuji to one with a Sophia. And when going out I have begun to migrate back to more traditional sized lights from my younger days. Namely C and D sized lights with 2" heads for more throw from less light. Runtime plays a role too. So lately I'm using Maglites more and more. I recently acquired the "mini MagCharger" called the ML150LRS. At 800+ lumens I can see a couple of football fields away for a while or a lot less using a low or 'eco' setting that shines light about as far as my most powerful aaa lights but for days and days. I think that one was released in 2019 but is showing up at places in the latter half of 2020.

Noctigon KR1 (Osram W2)

Astrolux FT03
    I'm as much Magaholic as flashaholic

For 2020 it's a split decision depending on the need. For barn-burner lumens it would be the 4Sevens/g5vn90.
    For all other illumination tasks it's one of the new Slate Blue Quarks.

Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Unenlightened

AAA, the Manker E02II
    Martac AAA
    4sevens copper mini

For me itís the Emisar Noctigon KR4. I even went back for seconds via the fancier versions. Working nights makes for a great excuse to use new my EDC light daily. The KR4 is versatile enough for anything from closeup inspection to scoping out the neighborhood on my way home, and everything in between.
    Enjoy the light show - LedTed

Fraz Labs Lumenite 21700. Simple. Solid. Adaptable. Plays well both inside (variable brightness) and outside (TIR helps with throw). It's the one I pick up when I want to have fun in and around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by LedTed View Post
    For me itís the Emisar Noctigon KR4.
    +1

Zebralight SC64c LE is probably the best overall flashlight for me.

The emisar / noctigon lights are the most fun - the D4V2 and K1 with the SBT90 is awesome.

Late in the year Elzetta released a pair of consumer lights and some USB rechargeable batteries.

I went for the AA one first.
    Probably will be a favorite in 2021 because it already is in 2020.

Flashaholic

2016 : EC4GT 1000 lumens spec
    2017: as above
    2018: as above
    2019: ignored new 1800 lumens model
    2020: as above

So no improvements for me. Darkness stayed just as dark, battery capacity tech barely moved, quality didnt improve, lumens went crazy.

Bought my HDS rotary with SST20 4000k this year. That has to be my favorite.

I just ordered an Olight Warrior Mini for EDC and a Warrior X Pro for nature. I am equally excited, but the Warrior Mini will see more use for sure. So I will go with the Olight Warrior Mini.

edit: I ended up cancelling both my Olights, due to the recall and their proprietary batteries and went with AA models.

So, I have the Armytek Prime 2A Plus as my most used EDC and bike light (replacing the OWM).
    The second best is the Armytek Nichia Wizard Pro as my EDC and outdoors headlamp with the most beautiful flood light.
    Third most loved is my versatile and capable Manker MK41 4xAA/4x14500 thrower (replacing the OWXP).

No regrets, at all, they are all built like a tank, with plenty of modes to choose from. In fact I feel like I dodged a bullet by avoiding proprietary battery formats with the Olights, especially since I have a sizeable NiMh collection.
    Last edited by parang; 01-21-2021 at 03:35 AM. Reason: change of circumstances

Unenlightened

I stepped up the habit a bit this year.

I really like my Emisar D4V2, but I really wish it had on board charging.

That is why the Astrolux EC01 is my favorite this year, 21700 battery, on board USB-C charging, great looks and a price that is hard to beat.

I typically prefer lights that are more thrown, but I find the EC01 the most versatile light I own and the one I use every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast