Anyone remember the PALight, and know where to get something like it?

Balog

Newly Enlightened
I want to get my toddler a flashlight (so he'll stop pickpocketing mine) and searching on here turned up the PALight. https://flashlightsunlimited.com/survival.htm

It's a totally enclosed 9v design, low output and bulletproof. Looks perfect! They also stopped making them years ago apparently, and I can't find any used ones for sale anywhere. Does anyone know if there is an alternate product that is similar, or a way to get one of these?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I have one of the Pak lights myself and I wouldn`t trust a small child with it personally, have you had a look on eBay for the PALight? I`v picked up all sorts of discontinued lights there, sometimes you have to Save the search and wait for email notifications but you can often be surprised :)

Balog

Newly Enlightened
There is the pak-lite

I'd be concerned that it might present as a choke hazard for a toddler.

Yeah, I saw those. The PALight was fully enclosed, not a top cap like the pak lite. You'd have to undo a little set screw to get at the battery. That's why I liked it!

Balog

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the Pak lights myself and I wouldn`t trust a small child with it personally, have you had a look on eBay for the PALight? I`v picked up all sorts of discontinued lights there, sometimes you have to Save the search and wait for email notifications but you can often be surprised :)

I checked ebay and didn't see any.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I don't remember all of the details, but the owner of PALight died several years ago (he lived in the UK if I remember correctly) and the company closed. I had two PALights, but both eventually stopped working, the last one about six months ago.

Shorttime

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest going to the auction site, and getting him an incandescent flashlight, the kind we grew up with in the 80's, which won't be quite so blinding when he points it at his or your face.

Look for either "Dorcy" or "Pelican". We got my son a Dorcy when he went to camp for the first time, and it held up well to being knocked around by a ten-year-old boy. It was an LED model, but I'm guessing older Dorcy products will have the same "kid resistant" qualities. What's more, they can be had for less than $20 used, so you're not out much when it breaks. Buy two, and the first one will last for a decade!

Pelican was the brand of choice for my Millwright co-workers for years, and you may have to just trust me, that says a lot. It's practically a guarantee that a Pelican light will also last for the daily uses of a small boy. They are more expensive on the used market, but they are also almost all fully submersible, which may be important: I've heard stories about amateur science experiments, intended to test the ability of the toilet to "flush" various items.....

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
I wish PALights were still being made. I have six, and they all still work. I love the constant glow they provide, brighter and more useful (to me) than GITD or Tritium. I'd buy more if they were still made...

TheWalkman

Newly Enlightened
I had a couple of these. Good lights, although the contacts corroded on several. I still have one on my bedroom dresser, glowing nicely.

That said, I remember wanting to purchase replacements several years back and reading here(?) that the PalLignt owner had died and they were out of business.

Too bad.

TheWalkman

Newly Enlightened

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see the PALight available again. Unfortunately I passed on them when they were still available not seeing the value at the time. I am a big Pak-lite fan but the PALight offers something a little different yet with similar purpose.

To the OP:I agree with the others that the Pak-lite provides hazards for small children. The suggestion of looking into older incan lights might be worthwhile since it is still fairly easy to get LED bulbs for them. You will probably be stuck with AA-D cells as not many lights were designed around 9V.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone remember the PALight

It's a totally enclosed 9v design, low output and bulletproof
Complete crap - therefore noone knows them.
;-)
In the middle ("under" that metal strip) 2 parts to be pushed together.
I have given any child a Fenix e01 instead and they were worlds!! better off with that rugged and dramatically better supersmall light.

I think i still habe one somewhere - its acting as "light blocker" (sits on the harddisk of my TV to block the very bright led from disturbing me while watching)

If so, You can have it, no prob.
Going to check tomorrow, when at home again.

Still, (for me) it is complete crap.

Toulouse42

Enlightened

Hi Balog. I had the same issue with my 2 year old grandson. I bought a LedLenser P2 (AAA) which is great for his little hands and is not too powerful. He always shines flashlights in our eyes! The tail switch is also not too stiff so he can turn it on by himself. However, although I doubt that he could unscrew the tailcap itself, I don't let him use it unsupervised. He has other "baby" lights but he clearly likes the real thing. The other day I was using my Olight M1T Raider in the car to find something that he'd dropped and quick as a flash he said "Is that a torch?" I really don't want 500 Lumens being waved around while I'm driving. Good luck.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a simple light look at the Sofirn C01. It is a single AAA light with a very low lumen output. I don't know how many are left, but I got several from AliExpress for $3.99 USD.
Another light would be the Lumintop Tool AAA. Again a simple AAA light that should run for a decent amount of time on each cell.

Of course there is always the Photon light family. Unfortunately they would also present a choking problem for smaller children, although one could put a lanyard on them, which would at least make it easy to pull out again! :whistle:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast

there it sits,
where it should - for blocking that annoyingly bright led of the drive ... :D

https://ibb.co/km77H3X
.. wonder why it survived several get-rid-of-junk actions of the years :thinking:

also I feel a bit different now. Imho a child small enough to still put everything into its mought will not be able to disassemble it - needs too much force.
and a rubber coating might be "better" than the hard surface of the Fenixes I liked to "lent" the childs (which were then old enough to actually use the lights and not unscew and swallow parts)
((PS: if You want to have Your small one putting any rubber "thing", that is not specifically meant to be used for that, in its mouth)) ;)

Balof if You still want it, PM me Your adress ...

now I have to find something else to block the led with
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Balog

Newly Enlightened

Hi Balog. I had the same issue with my 2 year old grandson. I bought a LedLenser P2 (AAA) which is great for his little hands and is not too powerful. He always shines flashlights in our eyes! The tail switch is also not too stiff so he can turn it on by himself. However, although I doubt that he could unscrew the tailcap itself, I don't let him use it unsupervised. He has other "baby" lights but he clearly likes the real thing. The other day I was using my Olight M1T Raider in the car to find something that he'd dropped and quick as a flash he said "Is that a torch?" I really don't want 500 Lumens being waved around while I'm driving. Good luck.

My toddler loves unscrewing the ends off my lights unfortunately. It's one of the bigger reasons I was excited that you had to use a tool to open the PALight. :)

Balog

Newly Enlightened

For a simple light look at the Sofirn C01. It is a single AAA light with a very low lumen output. I don't know how many are left, but I got several from AliExpress for $3.99 USD.
Another light would be the Lumintop Tool AAA. Again a simple AAA light that should run for a decent amount of time on each cell.

Of course there is always the Photon light family. Unfortunately they would also present a choking problem for smaller children, although one could put a lanyard on them, which would at least make it easy to pull out again! :whistle:

Yeah, I'm hoping for something a bit bigger (so it doesn't just immediately get lost) but also dimmer and less easy to change the battery. Not the usual combo of attributes people want!

Balog

Newly Enlightened

there it sits,
where it should - for blocking that annoyingly bright led of the drive ... :D

https://ibb.co/km77H3X
.. wonder why it survived several get-rid-of-junk actions of the years :thinking:

also I feel a bit different now. Imho a child small enough to still put everything into its mought will not be able to disassemble it - needs too much force.
and a rubber coating might be "better" than the hard surface of the Fenixes I liked to "lent" the childs (which were then old enough to actually use the lights and not unscew and swallow parts)
((PS: if You want to have Your small one putting any rubber "thing", that is not specifically meant to be used for that, in its mouth)) ;)

Balof if You still want it, PM me Your adress ...

now I have to find something else to block the led with
:rolleyes:

That's awesome, thank you so much!!!!