Stream light scorpion

Wilber256

Newly Enlightened
Hello All, First forgive me if this is in the wrong section, there are so many to chose from I hope this is the one.

I have a stream light scorpion that is atleast 16 years old but closer to 18. It looks brand new as I only used it until the first set of batteries went down which wasn't long. I went to Walmart for two more and they were over $12 so the light was put aside and hasn't been used since.

a couple of weeks ago I ordered a Cr123a charger and four batteries to but the light back in business. After charging I installed the batteries and nothing, then I noticed the bulb had fallen out inside the cap and was flopping around. So I got a screwdriver and drove the lens off after attempting to remove the lens by prying it off.

I scratched the lens with the screwdriver but got it off and retrieved the bulb. I put it back in and it immediately fell back out prior to installing the lens. I bent the legs a little hoping to help hold it in but that did not happen, after putting the cap on it fell back inside the cap in 2 seconds while I was trying to get it to come on. So this time I pulled it back thru the hole with tweezers and bent the legs again but you have to bend them back to get them into the socket holes.

So I got out the new one and installed it but same situation bulb will fall out if you point the end towards the ground.
I got wise and put a very small drop of super glue on the bulb bottom and left it overnight. It is staying in but I don't know how much of a bump and it's out. I tried to get it to come on but no cigar.

I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot it and get it going again now that I have rechargeable batts and charger maybe I can keep a light that will work. I did not check the bulbs for continuity just assuming the new one would be good being it's never been used. I can't even figure out for certain which way the batts install but tried them both ways with 4 different batts and two bulbs one new one used ever how long a set of batts lasted about 20 minutes if I remember correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? I have 6 different stream lights all over 15 years old as I became disabled in 2005 and that ended my daily need for light. I got my polystinger and the stinger with the big head going but am disappointed in their performance after using Chinese led flashlights so I know the scorpion is very bright and would like to get it up if no more money has to be spent. Sorry for rambling just need help troubleshooting the scorpion.

thanks

desertrunner

Banned
I cant offer much, but I did own two Scorpions years ago and loved them. What I did was install the TerraLux LED upgrade and it sure made a big difference. I looked around the Google and see they are still available like Amazon, etc. Here is a video review- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPKYVkAbl2k

As for the batteries, I always had a factory internal rechargeable and used a factory cradle charger with a red status indicator light.

If you could do all 3 of these things- LED bulb upgrade, factory rechargeable battery and factory charging head, I bet your Scorpions will work fine. If needed, you might find some parts on ebay. Also consider that Streamlight has a lifetime warranty and if you call them on the phone and explain your situation, they will hook you up.

Last edited:

Wilber256

Newly Enlightened
Thanks desertrunner, I checked and the supply for scorpion lights is pretty limited but several stinger though. Being I have already spent over $150 on two stingers and the scorpion I better stop at that for awhile. Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.
Merry Christmas

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A scorpion bulb is likely not able to with stand the voltage from a pair of rechargeables. The bulb is rated to take 6 volts from a pair of 3 volt CR123 batteries. Typical rechargeables put out 3.6 volts each and that totals 7.2,which will likely blow the bulb.

Now there have been times I insert a new 2 pin bulb in a light and nothing happens. I rotate the bulb to switch the pins in opposite holes from the first try and viola……light works. Why? Got me but it's worth a try.

Try putting an "S" shape to the bulb legs. Your holes are oversized for some reason so a new bulb retainer is the only fix beyond bending legs to the bulb.

https://eweb.streamlight.com/Parts_Store/default.aspx?tabid=10&tabindex=0&tabname=Products
Here are available parts for your light.
Part 850019 is what you need. About $4. You might consider buying extras just in case.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just install a new Strion bulb and power it up with single rechargeable 16650 battery. No further modification necessary and 100% reversible.
Almost same brightness and same run time but rechargeable for hundreds of times.
Now you can use it everyday.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
No idea on the fall-out-bulb-issue, i would habe to check my Scorp 1st to get an idea, but

DO NOT FIRE UP THE GLUED IN BULBS !!!

the superglue will immediately start to burn/melt and will clog Your lens and reflector
(rendering them useless)
There is no space for such material around bulbs

PS: go for Fivemega's li-ion tip, that is the best.
There even was an 18650 body available for the Scorpion

Last edited:

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory dot com has LED upgrades for all sorts of Streamlights including the Scorpion.

Take out the old bulb, toss in the nearest pile (or keep in case of EMP), drop in the LED and off you go!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There LED's are great. But he doesn't want to put anymore money into light. The bulb is probably blown do to over voltage. Try putting the spare one in with 2 fresh cells"123". When I got mine I couldn't get any of my bulbs to light. Turns out my cells were a little old and wouldn't fire the bulb up.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about this but...
Would a 9v TL-3 bi pin bulb fit?That would work with his rechargeable.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Sure does! Just tried it. Much brighter then the stock bulb. Never thought of trying that with mine. Great idea.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a 9v TL-3 bi pin bulb fit?

Yes, TL-3 bulb is pretty much same size of Scorpion bulb and will fit fine but needs to powered with pair of 16340 (500mAh) cells which will run for about 20~25 minutes.
In order to have brighter light with longer run time, I made an extension tube (for myself) to run with pair of 17670 cells which will run for little over an hour.

Scorpion.jpg

scorpion003.jpg

--------------------------
That would work with his rechargeable.
If you mean mentioned bulb will work with pair of LiFePO4 (3.2 V) the answer is NO.
TL-3 bulb (7.4V) needs voltage of two Liion (3.7V)

--------------------------
PS: go for Fivemega's li-ion tip, that is the best.
There even was an 18650 body available for the Scorpion
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?140635-18650-SL-Scorpion-By-FiveMega-50
Capacity and run time of 18650 (3000mAh+) is much greater compare to 17670 or even modern 16650 (2000mAh)
These are not only powered by pair of 18650 but also have larger heads similar to TL-3 (with glass lens) and can go with 1000 lumens 1794 super bulb.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...19-2x18650-TL-3-and-3x18500-Axial-by-FiveMega

---------------------------

To stop the bulb from popping out, slightly bending bulb pins will help.
Remember, picture shows bulb pins are severely bent for easy to understand but slight bent will do the job.

bentpinbulb.jpg

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiFePO4 ? Where did that come from?
The original poster mentioned using 2 rechargable 123's or 7.2 v.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
a couple of weeks ago I ordered a Cr123a charger and four batteries to but the light back in business.

LiFePO4 ? Where did that come from?
The original poster mentioned using 2 rechargable 123's or 7.2 v.

CR123A is a primary (Nominaly) 3 volt cell. There is NO rechargeable CR123A
A rechargeable cell which is same size of CR123A called Liion 16340 which is 3.7 volt or LiFePO4 which is 3.2 volt.

Scorpion bulb can't even take lower voltage of two LiFePO4 (3.2V) or 6.4 V
Mentioned bulb will definitely flash with 7.4 V
Each primary CR123A (Nominally 3 V) will drop to about 2.5 volt under current of 1.2 Amp. Scorpion bulb is nominally 6 volt but in fact it's 5V, 1.2A

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff fivemega.
I think we were on a different plane of thought. At least I was.
I was not thinking of what batteries would or would not work with his 6v bulb. I was thinking about what bulb would work with the rechargeable batteries he already bought. I suggested the 9v TL-3 bulb.
Of course you are right on about what would work with his 6v bulb.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahhh, I though is was "CR123" for single use and "CR213a" for the Li-Ions.

Wilber, Sorry if that sounds rude, but I have just checked the head of my Scorpion and have to give my thoughts - for Your next projects to run "better".
removing any press fit lens is REALLY difficult but a screwdriver was the worst possible thing to use. If really "needing" to get out a such lens the hard way, one should use something soft and rounded. Like a wooden/plastic stick with slightly rounded top. Say, like the rubber cap of a flightlight end switch.

but now for the catch:
think of the maker of anything, what might they have intended?
that their product has to be broken for whatever the occasional modder is thinking to do to it?
Do You think they never thought of the possibility that a bulb might fall out into the head? And still they made the head non easily to disassemble?
Looking into my Scorp, I see an OBVIOUS red rubber ring at the bulb opening through the reflector. Might also help to hold the bulb in place.
I bet picking that ring out, the bulb has more than enough space to just fall out.

To sum up: carefully inspect anything before starting to use tools.
if these tools surely will damage anything, think and rethink another time. Maybe there is another solution.
;)

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
To change the bulb all you have to do is unscrew the head and the bulb pops out.Pretty much like the E series or any P60 drop in.
If you took the lens out to get to the bulb you may have ruined it. That being said I'll be more than happy to send you mine. PM me your info and I'll get you squared away.

Latest posts