Sanity check on a new headlamp

yazovyet

Enlightened
I used to have a Zebra light (that I got for cheap) years ago, but lost it. Since then I've wanted something to replace it but always stopped at the cost and things not quite checking all the boxes. I was looking around recently and found the skilhunt H04R (or F) with high CRI that seems to check all the boxes, coming in much cheaper than zebra but with some less light output.

I'm looking for a sanity check to make sure I'm not missing an other suitable options, or advice if trying to get this off aliexpress is a bad idea.

Must have:
1 x 18650
4000k-4500k
3+ modes
~400+ lumen

Wants:
Hi CRI
Right angle
Mode memory
Extra low power mode
~700+ Lumen
Magnet
1000+ lumen
Clip

I've considered:
Skilhunt H04F or H04R (high CRI Samsung 351D, 4000K I think) for 40 USD shipped from aliexpress. I looked at the Magnetic charge but I'm not interested in that, it bumps the price 10 dollars and then you have to buy the charger for 10 dollars too.
Zebra but they cost 122 (usd) after shipping to Canada.
Wowtac, they cost ~60 USD (Amazon canada, after 13% tax and exchange).
Convoy s2+ on a head band mounted on the side of my head. I'd have to do a DIY LED to get high CRI. But I've done DIY flashlights before. It would be around 15-20 with headband from FT.
Fenix/Olight/Nitecore/Army Tek Wizard all look too expensive, and few of them have high CRI.

So, is the Skilhunt from Aliexpress really the good price and feature set it looks like? Is there something else I should consider?

Edit: I just found the Sofirn sp40. It seems to have most things other than high CRI. and its 25 USD right now. Is sofirn actually on sale right now or is that a false sale like they are always on sale?

Last edited:

TIFisher

Newly Enlightened
Edit: I just found the Sofirn sp40. It seems to have most things other than high CRI. and its 25 USD right now. Is sofirn actually on sale right now or is that a false sale like they are always on sale?

In my experience, ordering direct from Sofirn in China will be the least inexpensive option for any of their products. You will also see the prices fluctuate slightly...sometimes on a daily basis as they seem to compensate for currency exchange rates. The trade-off is extended shipping times, but I've never had an issue with anything I've ordered from them being more than a few weeks in transit to my door. Of course it being holiday rush, and the delays due to Covid, transport in the US is painfully slow right now.

Edit: not sure about Canadian purchases/ shipping.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The SP40 is usually $26 or so on Ebay. I've ordered an SP32 V2 from them and got it in a few weeks but ordered it before this covid thing hit. I think they are out of stock on several items including the headlamp. I have a wowtac A2S that fits all your criteria except no magnet but you may be able to add that to it. I don't think it is hi cri but is neutral white probably closer to 4500K to my tired eyes.

yazovyet

Enlightened
Thanks all,

I ended up going with the skilhunt h04r in 400K high CRI (40 USD shipped). The high CRI pulled me in more than the lower price of the Sofirn. I thought maybe the h04 might have a less tight hot spot, I don't want wide spill but I also like a less well defined spot. I'd rather more diffuse; and it looks like I can take off the bezel on the h04 to add a diffusing film (that I have) if needed.

My wife made the mistake of saying 'treat yourself' so I also have 3 lights coming from Sofirn... so there's that, lol. Now its a competition to see who wins the shipping race (sofirn vs ALiexpress). Maybe when things come in around Feb (or March, or Jan? ... or later this month?) I'll remember to come online and post some about the items.

Things ordered from sofirn (all 4000K high CRI)
AAA c01
sp 31 v2.0 with charger and 1 bat
sp 36 BFL anduril with 3 bat

I'm quite impressed with all the high CRI offered now from the manufacturer. Seems you can get nearly anything you want in high CRI and a lot of it at a reasonable price.