TINI 2 by Nitecore

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
I've had this light about a week now and really like it. The small readout window lets me know what lumen level I'm running it on: 1, 15, 65, or 200, and the runtime available on each level. There's also a display showing battery charge status. The turbo 500 lumen is always available immediately. There's 2 lock modes to prevent accidental turn on in your pocket. The small clip makes it easy to add it to a keychain or remove it.

The battery charging is in the case by USB C connection, so it is easy to plug and charge without worrying about orientation of the plug. I ordered a A to C charging cord with my light and it works well with the Apple phone adapters.

I'm having fun with the light and like using it every night around the house.

- Dave

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
Re: TINI2 by Nitecore

Been looking at that myself. I have a TINI but like the fact that it has a full lockout function.
The only question I had was concerning the turn on. Does it come on instantly or does it have the delay of the original TINI?

Beckler

Enlightened

This must be the highest-tech keychain light! (OLED, usb-c, etc) They claim 'aluminum alloy construction' but is it really a metal body or just thin metal cover over plastic like some of their others?

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened

Been looking at that myself. I have a TINI but like the fact that it has a full lockout function.
The only question I had was concerning the turn on. Does it come on instantly or does it have the delay of the original TINI?

The turbo mode has a one second delay while the the other levels don't have any delay. I don't use turbo much because it so bright. The light has 2 lockouts, with first allowing turbo without unlocking, and the second is a total lock with no turbo or other levels without unlocking, and the locks are labeled 1 and 2.

It took me some effort to figure out how to lock and unlock. The directions seemed unclear. You push the menu button once, then short click and then long click the power button and you see a 1 and let go for level 1 lock which allows turbo, or hold longer for lock 2 for full lock out. To unlock, hit menu button, and short then long click the power button and you see a key thermometer that shows the unlock.

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened

This must be the highest-tech keychain light! (OLED, usb-c, etc) They claim 'aluminum alloy construction' but is it really a metal body or just thin metal cover over plastic like some of their others?

I don't know, but it feels solid and there is no flex when you press on it. It has a nice satin feel to the metal body. I don't think you would be disappointed in the materials or construction.

Last edited:

mactavish

Newly Enlightened

Last time I got the flashlight BUG, I was buying far too many "tiny" AA, and AAA lights. Then Nitecore came out with their very SMALL non-replaceable internal battery lights. I bought the Tip, then they went smaller with the Tini V1. And while I like replaceable battery lights, the size of the Tini WON for 24/7 pocket/keychain carry. The issue with the original, was it would occasionally get turned on and drain in my pocket with NO real lock out, and thus was at times DEAD, and therefore not 100% reliable.

I just ordered the Tini 2, as they addressed the missing lock out. While expensive, considering the miniaturization and always having a light with me, it's worth it to me. From reading a menu or playbill in a dark public room or restaurant at LOW setting, to illuminating a decent size area when working at night, this looks like a great replacement for my original Tini.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got on the TINI2 bandwagon, and I hope I'm not disappointed. Pricey light for a keychain, so it's not really for non-flashaholics. I can see someone getting this as a gift, and after the battery runs out the first time, toss it in the trash. Oh my! I've purchased a bunch of Nitecore Tubes, Tips and Tinis. I liked the Tip, but for functionality, price, and for most people, the Tube is the way to go. Or as an LRI fan, the Photon Freedom is great, albeit very dim by today's standards.

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened

You guys are going to like this light. For me, it's so different than my other lights because of the read outs from the display, and the power from such a small light.

I noticed tonight the beam looks like a light with one emitter, not two, and there's a soft hotspot. The 1 lumen setting is enough when I wake up at night and it took me a little time figuring out how to shade it in my hand to limit the spill, and the 200 lumen is all I need getting stuff out of the basement or garage, or a quick scan of the backyard out the window but I do need to put it close to the window or the reflection makes it hard to see out.

I'm glad it isn't any smaller or it would be hard to hold, and the flat shape makes it easy to put down and not worry about it rolling around. There's no tail stand with the loop connection. Handheld ceiling bounce lights up a room.

It charges up fast but I need to run it down more to get a better idea on this, and I like the usb c connection since it easier than mini usb to plug in. It is easy to see why everything is moving to usb c charging since there's no up or down orienting.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Impressed with the TINI2. Just came in, tried it out, and overall...I like it! It will replace the existing TINI as one EDC, with the TIP as backup. Finally, a keychain light to replace the LRI Photon Rex that was discontinued years ago (sadly). Output of the Photon Rex was great for its time, although woefully dim by today's standards. But it had great innovations, including charging from regular batteries, and even solar charging. I also didn't have problems with accidental activation, and this is without the need for a lockout feature.

My issues with the TINI2:

1) Accidental activation in "Daily" mode. Lockout is good, but when you need the light, instant access is important (delayed "on" is a major problem with the original TINI). Lockout mode #1 provides for access to 500 lumens, but that might be too much light...and you still need to unlock the light to get to a lower output.

2) The light is still new, but with so many features, I'm a little worried about longevity. Sometimes simple is better, but I have to admit that these features are fun.

3) Rechargeable lights are great when new, but what happens when the battery eventually dies? I doubt if the TINI has a battery that is user-replaceable, and I assume the LEDs will still be good for thousands more hours... But the same can be said about my favorite Photon Rex, and when it comes down to it, all rechargeables that don't have user-replaceable batteries.

mactavish

Newly Enlightened

Impressed with the TINI2. Just came in, tried it out, and overall...I like it! It will replace the existing TINI as one EDC, with the TIP as backup. Finally, a keychain light to replace the LRI Photon Rex that was discontinued years ago (sadly). Output of the Photon Rex was great for its time, although woefully dim by today's standards. But it had great innovations, including charging from regular batteries, and even solar charging. I also didn't have problems with accidental activation, and this is without the need for a lockout feature.

My issues with the TINI2:

1) Accidental activation in "Daily" mode. Lockout is good, but when you need the light, instant access is important (delayed "on" is a major problem with the original TINI). Lockout mode #1 provides for access to 500 lumens, but that might be too much light...and you still need to unlock the light to get to a lower output.

Well ill compared to the V1, with no lockout.... I don't find I'm often in a situation with a keychain light that I need INSTANT access, but if that's the case for you, the compromise I used for the V1, was the demo mode, and having to always leave it in the lowest output mode, so when it might turn on in my pocket, it would time out. If I forget that, I'd get a nice HOT feeling in my pants.... I love having two lockout options as well.

2) The light is still new, but with so many features, I'm a little worried about longevity. Sometimes simple is better, but I have to admit that these features are fun.

My Tini V1 has held up great, bought it when first released. I don't soak mine in any glasses filled with water. :)

3) Rechargeable lights are great when new, but what happens when the battery eventually dies? I doubt if the TINI has a battery that is user-replaceable, and I assume the LEDs will still be good for thousands more hours... But the same can be said about my favorite Photon Rex, and when it comes down to it, all rechargeables that don't have user-replaceable batteries.

I don't use my keychain light often enough for it not to last a long time. The two V1 models still going strong, and will now be retired before their end of life. BTW: Ran it down till only the 1 lumen was available, nice to see the low volt cutoff at 2.5 volts, you get the blinking button light warnings a bit before that. Using a USB meter, it took over 300mAh's chargers, better then the specs.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love mine. The tint is much warmer than the original Tini. But it keeps coming on in my pocket!

mactavish

Newly Enlightened

I love mine. The tint is much warmer than the original Tini. But it keeps coming on in my pocket!

you mean the original one keeps coming on, yeah, that's why I bought this one. The info on display is also great. I like the warmer tint, didn't find much on that LED, it lists as "daylight", but is warmer the V1 Tini. Wish they offered a HIGH CRI version.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

No I mean the Tini2. With the original you had to hold down the button a bit before the light would activate. Not so with the 2. You can put it in lockout mode but it seems a bit tricky to get it out of lockout mode once engaged./

you mean the original one keeps coming on, yeah, that's why I bought this one. The info on display is also great. I like the warmer tint, didn't find much on that LED, it lists as "daylight", but is warmer the V1 Tini. Wish they offered a HIGH CRI version.

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened

It took me some time figure out the lock out. What I do now is with the light off, press the top menu button, then short then long press the power button. If I'm locking it the 1 shows on the screen and then the 2 if I'm still holdin down the power button.

On lock 1 the turbo comes on after a short lag, and that is the only level available until it is unlocked.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I'm definitely preferring the pause before engaging that was not carried over from the first Tini. Pretty much every time the light is in my pocket, it turns on. Getting it out of lock mode is tricky. Short press, long press, seems to sometimes work, sometimes not.

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened

To turn on or off the lock - What works best for me is with light off, I first press the mode button, then I short press then long press the power button. Took me a bit, but now it is 100% for me.

Also to get out of demo mode I had to plug in the light to charge it first. This is the same as I saw from Nitecore's web site by a reviewer:

Ordered and received promptly as is usual with Nitecore store. I ordered 4 units with the usb cable.
But it seems that each unit has to have the usb cable plugged in first before the unit will start operating, at least that's been my experience with each unit.
The instructions say to switch the unit from demo mode to daily mode, but that can only be done after the units have been 'turned on' by the usb cable.
In any case, once operating, the units perform as advertised.

Last edited:

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened

Good to hear feedback on the Tini2. I had several of the TIP's and TINI V1 (all given away), as well as 2 TUP's (which I will likely give away as well since the size doesn't quite suit EDC in my opinion). I was thinking about the TINI V2.

It sounds like the UI may be similar / same as the TUP. Would anyone be able to provide some beamshots? Also, any other pros / cons to speak of?

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened

Cons - They don't include a charging cable. Seems like you have to plug it into a charger the first time, to get all of the functions turned on and this isn't in the manual. Lock on and off is a little difficult to learn and isn't well explained in the manual. Can't tail stand.

Pros - All the ones mentioned previously- I'm really happy with it and use it every night.

majid

Newly Enlightened

I EDC a TIP CRI (I had the TIP2, but hated the UI and went back to the TIP). I wish they made the Tini2 with a high-CRI emitter, the Osrams have terrible CRI.