What's the brightest glow-in-the-dark stuff

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know what the brightest glow-in-the-dark powder/ink/paint or whatever is out there? I tried doing a search for (brightest "glow in the dark") but I just keep getting claims from manufacturers of how their glow in the dark items are the brightest. Anyone know for certain what is the brightest?

Thanks
StayInTheDark

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened
Re: What\'s the brightest glow-in-the-dark stuff

I know a few months ago a group of people got together and made a group purchase of some glow in the dark powder. Would any of you be willing to sell me a little nail polish bottle of the stuff?

Thanks
StayInTheDark

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

It used to be necessary to do the group buys becos small quantities weren't available, or reasonable.

Kevin's link (glowinc), sells a 1/2oz. premixed bottle of the best for a mere $12. U.S. -no muss, no fuss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

*Don't forget to get a small bottle of white undercoat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened

Cool. I didn't notice that. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened

vcal,
I noticed you were one of those that were experimenting with glow powders. What would you say is the smallest application of this stuff that you could still navigate a dark house with? Would you say something the size of this "o" would be too small to give off enough light?

Oh and would a reflective white paint, like the stuff used in street signs, be any more effective as an undercoat?

Thanks
StayInTheLight

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

My experiments showed that (properly charged up)-with a minimum 1 sq in. of glowcoated material, you could navigate pretty well in the dark for about 30min.

The highly reflective undercoat is good, but probably only saves you having to apply 1 additional coat of glow paint.

-A good flat white base coat that sticks to the surface well is the most practical.
-Also, a clear FINAL coat is highly recommended for durability, as well as a little better apparent brightness.

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the tips.

So something the size of an average pearl would be too small to navigate by in the dark?

cmendoza

Enlightened

Can anyone tell me how the glow sheeting from extremeglow.com (or their glow powder) compares with the glow powder/ paint from glowinc.com? The sheets at extremeglow are only $3 apiece and their glow powder is $15 for over 2oz compared with $7 for 1/4oz at glowinc.

Thanks

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

The peel and stick will glow just as long as the paints-or mixes, but with 40% less intensity.

Danielsan

Enlightened

i have made the experience that all strontiumaluminate-Europium pigments in green or aqua are more or less the same if we talk about afterglowtime and brightness because thats the stuff that matters, i really dont care how bright a pigment is in the first minute. Dont buy the zinksulfid pigments. I make glow in the dark beads for paracord and tested many pigments

Glp

Newly Enlightened
Any glow in the dark paint with no need to put under the uv lights?

bulrush

Newly Enlightened
Any glow in the dark paint with no need to put under the uv lights?

I have some with the strontium-europium compound. You have to charge it up with bright light and it will glow very well for 4 hours, then the last 4 hours it's still visible but gets more faint as time goes on. I've heard it called the "2nd generation" GID powder. I have a 1oz packet which I have used a lot (mixed with clear nail polish) and I still have a lot left.

You don't have to use a UV light to charge it, but it helps. So does natural bright sunlight.