Beacon or SOS, which one do you prefer on a flashlight?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
We have it but don't need it is much better than we need it but don't have it. It refers to these two modes. The SOS is mainly used for emergency situations while the beacon mode is mainly a campsite locator. Now as night riding becomes more and more popular, the beacon mode is used by many bikers as a signal.

For the outdoor enthusiasts, these two modes are very useful. But some guys may have different opinions. They don't like their flashlights have the modes they don't need.

Do you need the SOS and beacon function on your flashlight? SOS or beacon, which mode do you prefer?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have it but don't need it is much better than we need it but don't have it. It refers to these two modes. The SOS is mainly used for emergency situations while the beacon mode is mainly a campsite locator. Now as night riding becomes more and more popular, the beacon mode is used by many bikers as a signal.

For the outdoor enthusiasts, these two modes are very useful. But some guys may have different opinions. They don't like their flashlights have the modes they don't need.

Do you need the SOS and beacon function on your flashlight? SOS or beacon, which mode do you prefer?

Neither.

I have one flashlight that has a beacon mode. I have never actually used it. However I would rather have a beacon mode than an SOS mode. Prolonged battery life by using a beacon over a constantly running SOS makes more sense to me for a survival light.

pc_light

Enlightened
Between the two, Beacon. A faster beacon or moderate strobe for bicycling, perdestrian crossing, etc. might be even better. Definitely hidden and not in main mode sequence.

SOS is impractical.

Broadcast_Eng

Newly Enlightened
Beacon or strobe. You don't want to "cry wolf" by using SOS when you're just trying to call attention to a location or a non-emergency situation.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
A beacon that's adjustable or every 2.5 seconds. Maybe a few beacons to choose from. I've used beacon mode to find my way back to a road while hunting at night. Very useful

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Between the two, Beacon. A faster beacon or moderate strobe for bicycling, perdestrian crossing, etc. might be even better. Definitely hidden and not in main mode sequence.SOS is impractical.
Sounds good.

desmobob

Enlightened
I don't mind having both as long as they are a layer or two deep in the menu. Beacon is likely to be far more useful but, if you happened to need it, SOS might be a lifesaver. I have never used either.