Dental Headlight Project

Brightlight20

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys I am currently a dental student, and I would like to make a headlight for my dental work. The problem is the QUALITY models are very expensive and I am on a student budget. I am really hand-ons and would like to make my own set. I want you all to know that I did research here on candlepowerforums and on google and did find some similar projects however the information supplied was either: out of date, did not pertain to my project, or the information was too vague and I could not interpret the information. Therefore I am here today and would like the expertise of this forum. My friend was kind enough to let me dissemble his EXPENSIVE Orascoptic Headlight. I have attached the pictures of the internal design in this message. I would like to make a similar headlight system. I believe it is based on a Primary and Secondary Lens system. I have already chosen a Bulb for this project: Cree X-Lamp XR-E LED. I have assembled a battery pack already that can turn on the light. But what I am currently having trouble with is assembling a scope with a Primary and Secondary Lens in order to create a narrow beam angle. I am attaching a picture of the current lens system used by Orascoptic and would like to develop one that is similar. If someone can help me that it would be awesome, I would really appreciate it!

Here is the link of disassembled Orascoptic light system that I uploaded online:
https://ibb.co/album/wMS8xJ

Looking Forward to heading from you guys!

turbodog

Flashaholic
My dentist, who is not a 'cut corners' type of guy, buys his lights off ebay. Whatever's cheap more or less.

Might not be what you want to hear...

Also, PM me concerning some practice buying info.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
I prototyped very similar dentist light for a friend of mine 2 years ago but was little dissapointed with the result. Im understanding that to achieve this type of full circle of light with sharp falloff at the border, you need set of optics, not just one simple TIR optics. I have tried many different TIRs together with various LEDs and I think its impossible to achieve the beam like on commercial lights without more complicated setup.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dental lights are expensive and a niche market. My wife spent $1500 on a new light after graduation. Is a good light but it broke several times. Yes is a ripoff. Fortunately the optics are good.
The thing is people do not understand that when you are on the job 40 hours a week and constantly use the light AND optics a good quality light is needed.
Is not quality but is better than others. Like they say you need to have the right tool for the job. Way overpriced but i think that is not going to change anytime soon.
We spent few hundreds more to fix it in past few years probably $1800 at least all together.
Last time we had to fix i sent it in and i expected a $500 bill but they replace it for free. It did not charge and did not turn on.
However they charged $100 to replace the 18650. Yes i know is a total ripoff but they replaced the entire light. I just paid the money.
Trust me i tried all kinds of 18650 batteries but none worked. Something is proprietary about it.
Same with the cable from the power unit is from USB3 to micro usb 90 degree. I looked long and hard and never found the cable even specialized stores online.
Paid $30 to have cable replaced.
Either pay the money or use bad lights and have a miserable day at work. Only these that use it can understand.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
xr-e led???? those were discontinued a decade ago, it is an ancient led, why would you use one now???
my gi doctor has a headlamp that cost him several hundreds, it has plain lens and it is a zoomy, it has cw led and is pretty crappy by any flashlight standards, but it is special light bought from medical supplier. pretty much any headlamp on the market today is better than that pos.

but i suspect medical pros. use only approved equipment that is sold thru their medical supplier, for liability reasons, even if those items are inferior to "civilian" items, i just can't otherwise explain why they pay so much for inferiors products

Last edited:

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Dentists can hardly use common headlamp. It must have certain optical properties like sharp falloff not to blind patients. Yes, they are expensive but its because you wont likely build one from the scratch easily. XR-E is probably there to have narrow beam, its FWHM is 90 degrees. Its not about total lumen count, its about proper beam shape and large intensity of 10000 lux. Also all such lights are very small weighting just few grams.