America’s Cup

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
I've always been fascinated by the technology of the sailboats in the America's Cup. An article said that in the first 100 years since the start in 1851, they were only going 3 knots faster, but in the last 10 years they are going 300% faster! The next America's Cup for 2021 in New Zealand starts with some preliminary races on December 17th, 2020 and this time they are using single hull, or mono hulled, boats on hydrofoils that can reach speeds of 50 knots.

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
Vendee Globe is another race currently underway. Starts in France, one person sailboats, around the world via the 3 capes, no stopping, 60 foot boats, 33 boats entered. They are about half way with the leaders just reaching the cape of Australia, Cape Leeuwin, after 35 days of sailing through extreme conditions just north of the Antarctic - one boat was destroyed when folded in half by a wave.

Map of boat positions updated several times a day - link: https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map

Onboard videos are posted daily - link: https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/web-tv

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've always been fascinated how a sail boat can travel in the opposite direction that the wind is blowing.

Thanks for the break from reality Dave.

Last edited:

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
I've always been fascinated how a sail boat can travel in the opposite direction that the wind is blowing.

Thanks for the break from reality Dave.

I know what you mean and these America's Cup boats on hydrofoils levitate and fly above the water and don't heel over like normal sailboats, and the way they turn is unnatural looking - some kind of magic!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Thanks, that's funny, it reminded me of my favorite line from that movie Summer Rental- when John Candy's character says "That's something the whole family can enjoy" after the neighbors tell him about the wife's cosmetic surgery.

great film lol. i also like 1 crazy summer when the put the ferari in there boat not the engine the entire car lol. i may buy a sail boat im on a lake

StuGatz

Enlightened
Dave, so pleased that you brought this subject up. Some time ago, America's Cup was an annual event for us but then other obligations kicked that all to a blind spot back-burner. My last experience was 2012 or 2013 when Spithill with Oracle (IIRC) made a comeback that shook the Bay Area like no quake has ever done. So fascinating to watch and shall make every attempt to do so next month.

Thanks again...

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
Dave, so pleased that you brought this subject up. Some time ago, America's Cup was an annual event for us but then other obligations kicked that all to a blind spot back-burner. My last experience was 2012 or 2013 when Spithill with Oracle (IIRC) made a comeback that shook the Bay Area like no quake has ever done. So fascinating to watch and shall make every attempt to do so next month.

Thanks again...

My pleasure. You probably already know about the AC boat in SanFran that you can go out on, AC 76, it's 85 ft long, all carbon fiber, 115 ft mast, and they let you have a turn piloting it - been out on it a few times in the bay. https://www.acsailingsf.com/

We also went up to the Oracle headquarters and saw the trimaran, the one that won off Spain, and it is on the lake there, 90 by 90 ft square boat, amazing.

This time Spithill is now on the Italian team, Luna Rosa.

The first race series starts tomorrow on the 17th.

Last edited: