Why do you carry?

scottie

Newly Enlightened
Four months ago I didn't carry a flashlight.
I didn't own a flashlight.
Today I don't leave the house without my two edcs on my keychain. We won't discuss what I now have at home. I would attribute it to emergency preparedness. I ride a subway daily and spend a lot of time working in windowless spaces. Although I live in a large, well-lit city, the possibility of my being stuck in the dark is far from low.
I realize that many cpfers use and need flashlights for professional reasons: leos, construction, you name it, etc.....
What I'm curious about are the rest of us.
Do we all edc "just in case" or "to be prepared"?
Is it from a sense of security or insecurity?
Are there reasons that I'm missing?
Thanks.
scottie

Mattman

Enlightened
I carry on weekdays for the occasional on-the-job needs. I also carry because I like gadgets. On the weekend, it's mostly because I like gadgets, and portable lighting has always been a specific fascination of mine. My EDC tastes are pretty tame - I keep going back to my Arc AAA because it's so easy to carry and bright enough for most close-up jobs. Once you start carrying something every day, you almost have to continue carrying so that you don't beat yourself up when you eventually do need it but don't have it.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hmm, let me see, why do I carry a light...

1. Night
2. Work in tall building with windowless rooms
3. Take underground train (like you)
4. Encounter dark streets and spaces
4. Gadget freak
5. Believe you need right tool for the job (= many torches, no cigarette lighters)
6. Show and tell was always one of my favorites
7. Makes life a little easier (wife drops earring on train, I drop little screw under my desk...)

I'm sure there are many more!

Welcome to CPF, Scottie, you'll find a lot of info here, and many ways to thin your wallet.

daloosh

(and don't worry, I do have other incendiary devices, I just don't carry a lighter)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1 is safety. #2 the convenience of reading in poorly lit areas, finding small objects, seeing into enclosed spaces.

I've found that I use my Arc AAA more often than my knife which also contains a pen, toothpick, pliers, phillips & straight blade screw drivers, wire stripper, and can opener. With some regularity I use all of those accessories so you can imagine how often the Arc gets pulled out of my front pocket - several times a day.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Primarily as a work tool. People put their Pressure Washers in some DARK places!

But also since 9-11-01, as a security blanket. I DON'T ride a subway (all we have is a street level accident waiting to happen!) nor do I work in windowless office.

There pretty much isn't any way I need 3 lights on my person, and 6 more in my truck... but it feels good all the same!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I carry my Arc AAA for that occasional need, like I carry a little multitool. I think they've become my lucky charms, too. All my other lights are due to extreme gadgetitis.

jtice

Flashaholic
Most ppl dont really know, or notice, how useful a EDC light can be, until they EDC one for a while.

You find yourself using it for alot.

I use it for:
Lighting up the dark server closet.
Crawling under computer desks.
Looking under the hook of the truck.
Taking out the trash.
Latenight walks to the "John" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif what a horrible name for that.

-John

JohnJ80

Enlightened
1. I'm a gadget freak.
2. The same reason I wear a seat belt in my car - preparedness is the name of the game.
3. I'm a Gadget Freak (probably should be reason #1 but I'm in denial).
4. I discovered how very useful it is to have a flashlight on my person at all times.

J

brightnorm

Flashaholic
All of the above + helping someone else who needs a light and prosyletizing for CPF.

Brightnorm

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe all people should be as independent and self-sufficient as possible. Which for me means being prepared to do for myself and help others, instead of relying on someone else.

GregR

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly habit.
Someone mentioned that they would kick themselves if they needed it and didn't have it. That too.
And as Davit Krotz once said about Soss invisible hinges,

"They are pets for the hands."

DBrier

Enlightened
I have to agree with the two above. I hate needing something and not having it. I have noticed that most of the CPFers are very prepared, not just with flashights. I have seen what a lot of you EDC.
I have a reputation with my friends and coworkers as being the most prepared guy.
The thought of not having what I need *shiver*

Harrkev

Enlightened
I carry an Arc AAA and a LSL-S at all times. I do it just to be prepared, and to appease the geek in me.

I might also add that in the event of a blackout, it seems that they do not put emergency lighting in the bathrooms. So if you are NOT in the bathroom when the lights go out, you might as well find a bush if you need to do your business. If you ARE in the john when it goes dark, you have to feel your way out (yuck)!

lightnix

Enlightened
I carry a light or two so I can see in the dark. Usually an Opalec'd Mini M*g and an Infinity Ultra.

Darell

Flashaholic
1. Convenience
2. Emergency preparedness

I'm right there with you though... didn't EDC anything until CPF put the bug up my butt. Now I feel naked without at least one light on me. You should see the looks I get when one of my friends asks me for a light and I *gasp* don't have one. It really is one of those things where you didn't realize how much you needed one until you starting carrying one (or two...)

Do I *need* as many as I have? Don't be silly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
You said it, Harrkev. When we had the blackout last summer, I had to go to the bathroom, with the Mag-type light (it's actually a Craftsman) I kept in my desk at work. Boy was it dark in there, even with the crappy light.

Now, I have a Scorp, an ArcAAA and an Arc4 in my desk, in addition to the crappy Craftsman.

daloosh

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I love light. That's it.
I could say "to be prepared", but that's only the second reason. We do not have power outages here ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
bernhard

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I carry because I can and because this is America.

I guess my main reason is to be prepared for anything and self-sufficient. I don't rely on anybody but myself.

And I find it quite humorous when the "Have not's" are complaining because they are stuck in the dark or other misc type problems.

--Jason

ferreter

Newly Enlightened
Why do I carry a flashlight....... Hmmmmm

mainly for the convienience factor but also to be prepared.

Also seeing as I can't carry any knives (stupid Aussie knife laws!) it's probably to keep my belt full and my hands happy that there's something on my belt for them to play with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ferreter