Headlamp for yardwork in the dark?

notoobright

Newly Enlightened
What's a good headlamp for working in the yard at night (e.g. taking out the trash)? Probably no more than 10 minutes at a time. So weight and headband comfort can be compromised.

My preferences:
  • 4AA battery back behind the head, should be able to use NiMH; no 3-battery lamp because battery are sold in packs of even number
  • flood pattern or flood + spot
  • no phantom current when off
  • tiltable
  • no need to click cycle through several modes to reach the mode I want. Separate on/off and mode switch or a turnable dial

I already have a headlamp like the attached image. I bought a 3-pack from costco and it is also sold under various names and the output spec varies between 25 to 80 lumens. It's not "flood" enough and not bright enough.

Hoping to spend less than $50 on this. What's a good place to look?

apisiwvus__75273.1605005235.jpg

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Separate switches on a headlamp are hard to find. Why do you want so many batteries for a light that is only used for short periods?
I would recommend something single battery, with mode memory so it always turns on to the last mode used. For flood, put a piece of dc fix or even scotch tape over the window.
look at the the Thrunite th20. 1xAA for around $30.

Last edited:

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
Separate switches on a headlamp are hard to find. Why do you want so many batteries for a light that is only used for short periods?
I would recommend something single battery, with mode memory so it always turns on to the last mode used. For flood, put a piece of dc fix or even scotch tape over the window.
look at the the United th20. 1xAA for around $30.

Hi jabe1. If you meant the ThruNite TH20, it's currently on sale for $23.99 on Amazon. In fact, I'm wearing this headlamp as I type this post. :)

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a decent headlamp to be sure for the money. I have enjoyed mine since they came out.

I used to wear headlamps around the house too, but it got awkward around the normies.

McSpeed

Newly Enlightened
This Fenix light does it all. Spot and flood. About 1,000 lumens. Rechargeable battery. Runs for 3-4 hrs on high.

Cost $95 and worth every penny.

4ff56c06068b0f2d55a4859a09879a92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk