Dumb Battery Question

Shorttime

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a pure thrower for workplace use, which has led me toward HID lights.

Lots of companies seem to use proprietary batteries, though. Which brings me to my question:

Are there any HID flashlights (as in, not a pistol grip-type) which use the kinds of batteries that the somewhat unenlightened would know about? CR123, 18650, even those big 'ol 6V batteries that nobody remembers?

I won't be surprised if the answer is "no", but it would be awful nice to be able to mosey over to the Big Box store when I need cells.

Magio

Enlightened
I've been looking for a pure thrower for workplace use, which has led me toward HID lights.

Lots of companies seem to use proprietary batteries, though. Which brings me to my question:

Are there any HID flashlights (as in, not a pistol grip-type) which use the kinds of batteries that the somewhat unenlightened would know about? CR123, 18650, even those big 'ol 6V batteries that nobody remembers?

I won't be surprised if the answer is "no", but it would be awful nice to be able to mosey over to the Big Box store when I need cells.
What kind of work do you do? There are plenty of LED lights that can throw very long distances,dont use proprietary batteries, and depending on your use could save you a lot of money over buying an HID flashlight that tends to be very expensive. The FF5 that BVH mentioned is about the only affordable HID flashlight that really has an advantage over most LED flashlights for a similar price.

Shorttime

Newly Enlightened
What kind of work do you do? There are plenty of LED lights that can throw very long distances,dont use proprietary batteries, and depending on your use could save you a lot of money over buying an HID flashlight that tends to be very expensive. The FF5 that BVH mentioned is about the only affordable HID flashlight that really has an advantage over most LED flashlights for a similar price.

I've been looking at LED lights, as well. The Acbeam K70 caught my eye.

I'm looking for a single-purpose light, for checking power line fuses. This would be a great time for one of those truck lights, that you plug into the lighter, and wave in the general direction of the other end of the property, with the confidence that it will illuminate what you point it at.

The problem is, I'm not always using my service truck.

There are a constellation of other things I'm thinking about, including the fact that I over-think things.

Heat management, run-time, Candela versus Lumens, and how easy or difficult it is to replace parts. You can replace an HID more easily than most(?) LED sources, but the fact that it's going to be rolling around in my truck most of the time makes me wonder if it's a good idea, at all. I don't abuse my tools, but Murphy's Law is always waiting to bite me in the keister. It would be really awkward to hit the power button, only to find that the lamp is broken.

HID lights seem more aimed toward pure throw (from what I've seen, anyway), and there isn't anywhere near the amount of obfuscatory marketing BS about MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which only last for two minutes, and then it steps down by 50%, and good luck finding Candela ratings for most of 'em!