New 6D Maglight

scout24

Flashaholic
So, in a moment of weakness, I bought my last light of the year. A new 6D Mag for thirty couple bucks. My only other Maglights are a Malkoff'd 2C and a KYFishguy single 14500 powered Triple. So, I'm not super well versed in Maglight.
This thing is a monster. :grin2: I'm thinking a Kaidomain LOP reflector and glass lens. Maybe some NiMH cells to lose a little weight. And stock up on bulbs before yet another incan icon goes by the wayside...
Any upgrade suggestions while staying incan and using actually available components are welcome! More lumens are good lumens... :thumbsup:
Any and all 6D discussion is welcome also, I had to go back a good ways to find 6D threads here in the subforum.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really funny that you posted this. I was over my parents house the other day and found my old 6D mag (red) and brought it home with me with the plan to do something with it. Just not sure what yet.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can get 5000lm drop in, or if you want the hotwire, go with Osram 90w 12v bulb, with 5 li ion cells it makes about 10k lm

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO best mod is an OP or MOP reflector on these. It makes the beam much more floody and smooth while still keeping some throw. I can't believe Mag didn't include an OP reflector from the factory on these lights as it get rid of 99% of the complaints I hear. I never realized how great a Maglite was until I ditched the stock SMO reflector. I've even been cheaping out on the last few restomods I've done and I've been sputtering the stock reflectors.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nostalgia or bazooka?
For nostaligia, buy a beam cleaning acrylite lens from flashlight lens and some PR base xenon Maglite bulbs. Perhaps try a 5 cell bulb to get a little extra kick.
For bazooka I'll let the experts on that have the microphone. That thing has potential to be used as a street lamp.

scout24

Flashaholic
Well, MOP reflector and glass AR coated lens inbound. It's a start. :) Definitely need to hit the gym if I stick with alka-leaks. Researching NiMH "D" cells today. I like the 5 cell bulb idea, bykfixer. LiftDT4R- Hairspray or clear spraypaint for sputtering? I may just try that while waiting for the aluminum reflector, at least you can go a little bit at a time to try various results...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used a clear engine paint fogged over the lens from about 2 feet above with short sptits. I'd spray test, spray, test and found that 3 sprits gave best combo of beam cleaner without killing the Mag-spot that is what makes a Maglite a Maglite. Acylite lens is better but it aint glass……

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you going for a hotwire you'll need borosilicate glass, regular AR coated glass will crack pretty fast there is no need for aluminum reflector with led conversion, it does not get hot, plastic will do just fine, actually stock led reflector that Maglite uses for older led models, are pretty good, zbattery.com sells them for like 8 bucks. you can turn any smooth reflector into OP, by technique called splattering, you'll need a spray can of clear coat. there was a thread on how to do it, but i can't find it, or it could have been discussed in unrelated thread, maybe someone else knows where to find it, i'll post a link when i do find it.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Krylon crystal clear works well. Short bursts of spray, letting each dry completely before the next.
flashlightlens.com for a 52mm window upgrade.
I have a few extra reflectors I can send you if you want to cover shipping.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used a glass surface to get my technique dialed in. ie determined best distance and time with button held. That also helps you get familiar with the characteristics of the spray can as the spray can very greatly from can to can.

325addict

Enlightened
Just replace that standard PR-bulb that's most probably still in for a new Maglite bi-pin bulb that comes with that hard plastic adapter. These bulbs are KING! But don't go the 5-cell route, it will blow quite soon.
Regarding batteries: shed some weight by using NiMH?? In that case, you didn't get the RIGHT NiMH batteries... the only really good ones I know, are the Ansmann 10Ah(!) ones. And they are HEAVY! No wonder, as they must be filled to the brim with useful content ;-)
Think about it: 10,000 mAh! That will give you some serious 10+ hours of run time! And YES, these batteries will deliver.... 10Ah or very close to it. No marketing BS.

Other options are rare, but I cannot enccourage you enough to get a glass lens and LOP metal reflector from Kaidomain. These are very good parts! Maybe FiveMega still has some ROP bulbs in 7.2V? ONLY use these with a metal reflector and glass lens!! Stock items WILL melt!!

I bought a load of PR-base bulbs from Tad Customs JUST before he closed his business, 7.2V and 1.2A / 1.8A respectively. As he wrote next to them: these are hands down the finest PR bulbs available, ever. And he is right... I use them with caution, don't want to run out of these... but they have good life, around 50 hours IIRC.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want lighter weight, you can run it on a pair of protected Li-ion 26650's or even AA Eneloops in adapters. Full capacity NiMH's like Soshine and Tenergy are just as heavy if not heavier than alkalines.

As far as standard Mag bulbs go, I like the old PR base xenons if you can find 'em. The newer bi-pins are OK but I can never get them centered properly for optimal focus.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just replace that standard PR-bulb that's most probably still in for a new Maglite bi-pin bulb that comes with that hard plastic adapter. These bulbs are KING! But don't go the 5-cell route, it will blow quite soon.
Regarding batteries: shed some weight by using NiMH?? In that case, you didn't get the RIGHT NiMH batteries... the only really good ones I know, are the Ansmann 10Ah(!) ones. And they are HEAVY! No wonder, as they must be filled to the brim with useful content ;-)
Think about it: 10,000 mAh! That will give you some serious 10+ hours of run time! And YES, these batteries will deliver.... 10Ah or very close to it. No marketing BS.

Other options are rare, but I cannot enccourage you enough to get a glass lens and LOP metal reflector from Kaidomain. These are very good parts! Maybe FiveMega still has some ROP bulbs in 7.2V? ONLY use these with a metal reflector and glass lens!! Stock items WILL melt!!

I bought a load of PR-base bulbs from Tad Customs JUST before he closed his business, 7.2V and 1.2A / 1.8A respectively. As he wrote next to them: these are hands down the finest PR bulbs available, ever. And he is right... I use them with caution, don't want to run out of these... but they have good life, around 50 hours IIRC.

running rop ho bulb with 6 nimh d cells isn't a good idea D cells provide plenty of current, and it runs the bulb too hot, it melts solder on positive contact of the bulb. i had that happen after about 10 min of use. it wont happen with rop lo, but it is only half of the output

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting, I didn't know that!

I may dig out my 6D and see if I have any ROP bulbs squireled away!

I have Eneloops and "D" adapters though.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
the bulb rop ho 6v overdriven by 6 (7.2v nominal) cells, pulls about 5 amps, unless it is Five mega holders, chances are there will be loses due to resistance, but it may actually work to your advantage, you wont melt the bulb.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
do these MOP and OP reflectors come in metal or are they plastic? I`v been considering replacing the PR socket with something like a ceramic G4 bi pin type, I just haven`t found anything compatible yet.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you Google KaiDomain tugs the overseas web-store we purchase the reflectors from.

Typically going to be MOP or LOP, some maybe smooth for throw, and has a removable camming device that threads off of the reflector if you don't need it.

Be prepared to purchase a couple at one time as that's what most of us do.

Love those things.

scout24

Flashaholic
Agreed, they're good product. The one I have in my Malkoff'd 2C is very nicely made.they're listing OP and MOP right now, I made the presumption that OP is more "orange peeled" than MOP. We'll see.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I think "MOP" was "medium orange peel" if I remember right. It's been a long time since I thought about this stuff, but I was digging through my handful of C and D Maglites this evening.

I was wanting to put a 3-cell bulb into my 4-C light, running NiMH AAs in adapters, but couldn't find the bulb :thinking:

The stock 4-cell bi-pin bulb works okay but it's pretty warm yellow/orange colored at the lower voltage. I've got a stock lens on there that I covered with Scotch tape for a quick-n-dirty diffuser. Works pretty well but I think it also colors the beam somewhat.

Man, I was looking around on Amazon for stock Mag bulbs out of curiosity, and the few that I found were something like 10 bucks each! Yikes.