Eneloops really are low self discharge!

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I got motivated to update the nav in my car... it's a 2009 model car and I probably updated the maps sometime in 2013 (shortly after I got the car.)

Also, while the car was relatively new to me I purchased a little Fenix AAA flashlight as it fit into the holder in the glovebox. I think an E01 would have worked but whatever I actually got was slightly larger. The holder is right by the USB port that you need to use to update the maps - so I pulled the flashlight out and it still has juice!

I don't think I've ever needed that flashlight, which means that it did its job :)

I probably will pull it out and charge the cell next time I remember...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have an unopened 4-pack of Eneloop AAA's with a date-stamp of 2006.
In 2026, I'm going to mail them to someone to run a suite of tests on them - I expect they will hold up relatively well. :)

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Every single day,
I still use my AA Sanyo Eneloops which were mfg. in 2006,
and I purchased in 2007. (from Circuit City store, long-bankrupt)

And I *just* opened a package of AA Panasonic Eneloops, mfg. December 2013.
Lowest Open circuit voltage was 1.286v
Average OCV was 1.290v

Ran 'em on a Discharge cycle with my
Maha C9000 Pro charger, at 500mA discharge rate.

Their "factory charge" (which as you know, is not FULLY charged)
*after 7 YEARS in package* still yielded at least 1,229mAH charge !

Of this factory package of 8 AA cells,
six of 'em still held a charge in the 1,290's ! ! !

Refresh & Analyze cycle then produced
every one of these 8 cells scoring well into the 1900's !

To say I'm very impressed
would be an understatement !

:thumbsup: :twothumbs :wow:
_

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of months ago I opened 2 packs of AA 2450 Ladda batts from 2002, all batts were still showing 1.3v after 18 years!

that's good to know, because my LSD NiMH (at least AA and AAA) purchases over time have gone like this:

1) Sanyo Eneloops, mail ordered because "not sold in stores"
2) Maha Imedion AA (one bulk purchase because they were cheaper and I needed a lot as I bought a big Fenix flashlight that used AAs because I hadn't quite drank the Li-Ion kool-aid yet)
3) Duracell Ion Core, once they became available in stores for about the same price as the two above
4) IKEA Ladda, as I now commute past an IKEA and 3) has become more expensive to the point that the Laddas are now less than half the price

I honestly can't think of ever throwing out any NiMHs. I know that when I ran a refresh on some old Sanyo Eneloops that had been used in the outdoor portion of a weather station, they had lost some capacity but I'm trying to think of any that I've seen failing, and I haven't. However, at least the Laddas I don't have any much over two years old, so they really haven't been challenged.

The only time I think I've ever thrown out any NiMHs is having to do with some electronic tools we use at work, which come with plain wrapper NiMHs and do get cycled hard, when customers ask I tell them to just get the Ion Cores or Laddas and keep on rollin'. Nobody has ever told me that was bad advice.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of months ago I opened 2 packs of AA 2450 Ladda batts from 2002, all batts were still showing 1.3v after 18 years!

Check the actual capacity, because I don't believe those are low self discharge cells. Sanyo invented the tech in 2005, and brought it out with the Eneloop brand in 2006. At least, that's my understanding.

I have no idea what tech Ladda was using in 2002, but it wasn't what LSD tech is used today (or since 2006).

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
well to hold at 1.3v for 18 years says LSD to me! LOL as for the capacity they just got topped up and assimilated along with all the others, they`re in my lights and games and appliances etc... and I`v had no problems with anything yet.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure that they were from 2002? Aren't the 2450 mAh Laddas fairly recent eneloop pro rebrands?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Are you sure that they were from 2002? Aren't the 2450 mAh Laddas fairly recent eneloop pro rebrands?

Positive! I ordered 3 packs, 2 were 2002 and 1 was 2006. I remember specifically thinking that this guy`s trying to con me, but I checked them out and they were fine (how else could they have kept their charge if not genuine?), I even commented on it at the time on here somewhere.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Positive! I ordered 3 packs, 2 were 2002 and 1 was 2006. I remember specifically thinking that this guy`s trying to con me, but I checked them out and they were fine (how else could they have kept their charge if not genuine?), I even commented on it at the time on here somewhere.

I wish I had some of those back in 2002 - all of the NiMH's I had back then would be dead in two weeks without a recharge and wouldn't even take a charge after they were a few years old.