146mm Headlamp Options

darksider415

Newly Enlightened
I'm back, with a newly-acquired R107 450SL, and I'm looking for solid options in the 146mm headlight range, that won't make the car look like some sort of weird space alien wannabe. It seems that Cibie and Bosch options are pretty much impossible to find these days, so here's where I'm reaching out to y'all. I'd like to keep the budget down to $500 or less, which makes the factory E-codes not an option, sadly.

Thanks!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Hella lamps in this size are no good (seriously, they are not sufficient for safe driving on low beam). The Cibies are no longer made. Go get a set of Koitos from Dan Stern; they are quite a bit better than the Cibies were, and way better than the Hellas. Even with primo bulbs you shouldn't run into a budget crunch on 'em.

darksider415

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a set of the Koitos from Dan Stern, for exactly that reason! I figure if both you and Dan say they're good, they have to be worth it.

The Hellas weren't even an option, because I remembered reading, a long time ago, that they were inadequate at best, and I value safe, effective lighting highly. This is also why, a year and a half later, I'm still incredibly pleased with the light bar recommendation you gave for my Buick. :)