Green Hunting Light

warren5421

Newly Enlightened
I am in need of a green light for hunting. I want something that lights a hog up at 300 yards using a day scope. I have hogs killing a field at night so need a light to put a stop to it. Am also looking at a red light for some coyotes that are coming around the barns. Don't need them after the chickens or colts coming spring. All I know about lights is that the big Maglight was the best thing out many years ago. I'm told hogs can't see green light and yotes can't see red

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can attest to K9s not seeing red wavelengths. Coyotes I'd think fall into same category as dogs:shrug:

What are wild hogs killing in your fields?

Send me PM about a green Thrower

nbp

Flashaholic
You're gonna need a lot of output and a lot of throw to light up critters at 300 yards well enough to shoot safely. I don't know if you're going to find something with green or red emitters off the shelf that can do that or if you might need something modfied/semi-custom, maybe from someone like Vinh. Plus I find colored light to be a bit disorienting to use though your preference may vary.

A friend of mine has a red/green hunting flashlight, I will ask him the model so you can see if it suits you. It was reasonably bright but not 300 yards bright.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copy that BB, So those nasty wild boars root up produce at night, "kill" fields,, got it.

You'd think dogs, like Rhodesians, or Pits could keep the piggies at bay?

Osram has made some higher output throwers in colors, green, red, blue, in 2.1 format, with a very narrow beam.
I own a green mounted behind a TIR optic. Dont have the numbers on hand, but it throws at least 200yds. After that distance, at night without IR optics, I wouldn't know a pig from a poodle..
I am more curious to what gun he plans on shooting, at 300 yds? Ya don't want to **** off wild boars!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you absolutely want to go with a red/green dedicated hunting light look up the offerings from predator tactics. Personally I'd just flash them with a white dedicated thrower. It won't scare the others away. They don't run when lightning lights up the sky they won't run from a 3 second flash.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copy that BB, So those nasty wild boars root up produce at night, "kill" fields,, got it.

Think on a bigger scale. They don't tear up produce they want what's under the produce. They literally dig roots with their tusks and absolutely destroy the ground. Cost farmers and landowners tons of money.

motigg

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff makes a Hound Dog XT (extra throw) 18650 with a red emitter. Not sure about green. I have the same light with a standard white LED and it's terrific.

edit: just checked and there is a green one:

[h=4]"This flashlight will illuminate objects at 1200+ feet. "[/h]

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you absolutely want to go with a red/green dedicated hunting light look up the offerings from predator tactics. Personally I'd just flash them with a white dedicated thrower. It won't scare the others away. They don't run when lightning lights up the sky they won't run from a 3 second flash.

..and then what? 7mm-08,, using a daytime scope ?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff makes a Hound Dog XT (extra throw) 18650 with a red emitter. Not sure about green. I have the same light with a standard white LED and it's terrific.

edit: just checked and there is a green one:

[h=4]"This flashlight will illuminate objects at 1200+ feet. "[/h]

Yep, Malkoff has one green HD XT in stock. Super quality Thrower.. Website beam shots at 150 yards looks very doable IMO

gruntmedik1

Newly Enlightened
Hogs will root up a field overnight, and ruin any crop planted while doing so.

Suffice it to say, there are several options available with the energy to safely take a hog at 300yds, provided the marksmanship is there.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Is placing a green or red lens over the head of the flashlight an option? Reason I ask is a photography film by Lee or RoscoeLux could be custom trimmed to create a reversable modification.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is placing a green or red lens over the head of the flashlight an option? Reason I ask is a photography film by Lee or RoscoeLux could be custom trimmed to create a reversable modification.

He's going to need maximum throw for his application if he's wanting to go out to 300 yards. Any idea how much it'll cut down?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
You aim at what is lit up down range. If you have a good light man/woman that get you on target you barely need more than a second to get your shot off.

mickb

Enlightened
In my state hogs outnumber the people 2-1, literally. Regarding colored lights here, green vs red, you will get a different opinion from every hunter. My friend who shot a lot more than me prefers red over green. Thats shooting hogs at 30-50 yards over bait, which is on his banana plantation. He said they still spook fast though, you have to be quick with the shot. Some report no difference between white, red or green. My theory is it depends what the pigs have been previously harassed with. Red and green certainly preserves you own night vision at least. A lot of hunting kits by Olight etc are popular here. Thats the large headed 2x18650 units mounted on top of scopes with remote pressure switches. For long range like you are talking, they stick to white light on most animals. Though I cant say I know anyone specifically hitting pigs at that range.