Where to buy replacement lenses?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any kind of clearinghouse that sells replacement light assemblies? Or even where I could find out TYC, Depo, etc. part numbers?

Basically I am trying to get together a bunch of lights and clearcoat them all at once for both of my vehicles. Most I believe are going to have to be replaced due to lens crazing. One that I'm on the fence about is specifically the CHMSL for my Jeep Cherokee (2000 XJ) you'd think this would be a common part but I can't seem to find any for sale anywhere that aren't off brand LEDs.

Now, I'm actually in favor of LEDs in brake light applications but I have to admit I'm a little skeptical of most retrofits. So I guess the sidebar question is are any of them OK? Guessing no, but you never can tell.

I guess for now I will plan on polishing up the lens and hope that I don't find this one crazed too.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You can sometimes find TYC/Depo part numbers on RockAuto. As far as I can tell, TYC and Depo don't make their catalogs accessable to end-users, which seems stupid to me; I don't know what strategic "advantage" they perceive in keeping the info under wraps. You could probably check the usual sources of dubious-quality aftermarket Jeep parts (Crown and Omix-Ada). Off-brand LED retrofits: remember Nancy Reagan and Just Say No.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did try Amazon, eFlay and RockAuto as well as the usual off road centric vendors. It appears Crown sells a CHMSL for the earlier, fiberglas hatch models but not the 97-01 XJ. I'm surprised as many of these as were made, and their cockroach like nature, that this light isn't available, but it appears that my best bet is to polish and spray the one that I have and if something happens to it get a used one from eBay or a mail order junkyard. Also, all the original lights on eBay right now appear to be almost as chalky looking as the one on my vehicle. Weird. Actual taillight lenses are easy however and in fact I had to replace one earlier this year as someone dinged that vehicle too. (I'm starting to wonder if it is the landscaping people at work throwing gravel with their mowers? After years of going without busted lights I've had two this year.)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Wow, looks like you're right: the OE lamp isn't available new, and none of the usual aftermarket suspects provides an OE-lookalike. You can get "upgrade" LED lamps, but none of them look worth a ****.

You could take the long way home: install one of these or something similar, then optionally hit the OE lamp with some Dupli-Color to hide it.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep... well there's a light on there now and it's just pink and chalky. I'll just polish it again, this is a fabulous beater vehicle, it can't be any worse than what I'm starting with, right?

It's SUCH a beater that I actually don't want someone to run into it because it'd be totaled and then I'd have to get another vehicle. But where am I going to find a good running XJ 4.0 with the AWD transfer case, up-country suspension, and LSD for an affordable price?

If I had my own garage I seriously would consider finding any fully loaded late XJ 4.0 with nice body and interior and swap the xfer case, suspension, and rear axle from this one into it, as well as all the goodies I pulled forward from my previous one.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not sure if they still sell them but I once got a TYC part number from either Autozone or Oreilly's and purchased the light off Ebay for about 2/3 the price locally.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could make molds of what you have then cast new ones using pour in resins. Smooth-on makes a ton of stuff for that purpose.
Moderator Edit
Headlamp lenses are precision optical instruments that can't be made at home, but for the CHMSL this might work out. More in my next post
Alaric D

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use both the correct materials and the correct techniques, such as at here, here and here (this last being
multi-part blog post series) then you can possibly make a new CHMSL, turn, stop, or tail lamp. However, it depends on how destructive the lens removal is to the rest of the lamp. You can easily ruin the lamp that way.