most compact 18650 light with remote tail cap/ pressure switch

mickb

Enlightened
pretty much in a nutshell guys. After the above to attach to a firearm. any options with a little more CD's/throw would be icing on the cake but only due to emitter or smooth reflector. aka dont want a head much larger than body and lightweight is main consideration.

Thanks in advance, I am about 2 years out of the game so not sure what is out there right now and studying web stores like crazy. Any shortcuts appreciated.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
Re: most compact 18650 light with remote tail cap switch

its funny I keep checking online stores, see a simple looking compact tactical flashlight with 460 or 600 or 800 lumens. get excited and click on it to find its "out-of-stock", being discontinued models from the days of when "sensible lumens matched battery capacity" lol. Looks like everything went even more brainmeltingly crazy than I left it in 2018. 2300 lumens in some 18650 flashlights....good heavens.

mickb

Enlightened

Looks like nitecore MH10 and MH12GT come close to fitting the bill though I assume with 1100 lumens both are going to be discontinued and probably their tailcaps as well? 1100lumens was okay to see with in 2017 but now darkness is 100% darker, its a good thing we double lumens again. At least I am amusing myself here on christmas eve anyway :)

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah I think manufactures are just chasing numbers anymore. Could take a look at Klarus's XT line of lights and find one that delivers what you are looking for. They have remote switches designed to work with them under their accessories page. Most of their lights are still designed around common 18650 cells. Unlike Olight who seem to want you to only be able to use their proprietary cells in their lights.

Something to keep in mind when buying Nitecore, find out if the light is using a spring on both ends of the tube. My old P20UV doesn't, and it resulted in a cell with a pushed in button top. I've found most of them don't even though they continue to market them as tactical lights.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

You haven't missed a lot Mick. Lumen wars went from extra stupid mode to flat out BS with the promise of super nova output for 22 seconds then settling down to something a whole lot less after microwaving the battery enough to cause you to think you are carrying a hand grenade with the pin pulled.

Due to the physical size of LED's those extra lumens are mainly in the spill anymore. Max Vision is what SureFire calls it. Streamlight and SureFire have some dual fuel 18650 capable numbers and Mr Malkoff has some good stuff. Check out Manker, and Sofirn offerings. And this SST-20 LED is a more throwey unit. I see SST-40 talked about but don't know enough about those to offer any suggestions there.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
For WML the popular opinion is to stick with surefire, streamlight or a very select few others still. Inforce has become fairly popular, they have a 1 and 2 cr123 option but I'm unsure if they work with li ion cells.

I'm still running surefire 6P with malkoff on my setups. Can't really beat the durability. Wouldn't mind compactifying eventually, though.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want throw, a beast of a light, and pretty compact check out the modlite OKW-18650. I don't see modlite recommended very often here but they are great lights.

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks fellas. Sorry couldnt find where I left this post. probably going to order a nitecore MH12GT and the RWS-1 remote pressure tail switch. Both discontinued but seems to be plenty of the RWS-1 switches still available online and a few of the flashlight itself. if it beats up button tops or doesnt work out it can be a handheld backup for other jobs. What I like about the light is its head dia is same as the body but still manages 27,000 CD. Twice what most other small head compacts can do. Just trying to ffind definitive literature the light works with that tail switch. Several online sellers of the RWS-1 list Mh12GT in the literature but our nitecore site only lists current models. Worth taking a chance on it?