Internet security encryption?

kev1-1

Enlightened
I have a friend who is using microsoft IE 5.0 to surf the web. However, they only seem to have 56-bit cipher strength encryption NOT 128-bit. This is causing problems with sites such as Pay Pal. How can they get upto 128-bit? Do they need IE 6.0? Or can they 'turn on' 128-bit encryption in IE 5.0 (I thought 5.0 did have 128-bit encryption?!)

Thanks for any help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
There is a 128-bit version of IE 5, but goo dluck finding it. If possible, it would be simpler to upgrade to IE 6 if your friend is running Win98 or higher.

The only reason to stick with IE5 is if you are still using Win95.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the US, you are not allowed to export encryption to other countries that is stronger than 56-bit encryption. To do so would be a breach of national security. Seeing that you're in England, I'm assuming your friend is too, which is why his browser only supports 56-bit encryption. I would venture to say that you won't be allowed to download a 128-bit encryption version of any web browser developed in the US.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
In the US, you are not allowed to export encryption to other countries that is stronger than 56-bit encryption. To do so would be a breach of national security. Seeing that you're in England, I'm assuming your friend is too, which is why his browser only supports 56-bit encryption. I would venture to say that you won't be allowed to download a 128-bit encryption version of any web browser developed in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you are incorrect. This was changed some time ago. It is legal for 128 bit encryption outside the U.S. The simplest way to get it is to upgrade the browser.

Mike

kev1-1

Enlightened
That's interesting, I never knew that IE shipped in different versions outside the states. I was under the impression that 128-bit encryption was developed by the MOD over here! Thanks for all the help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif