Modern Maglite collections

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Call it M@g, M*g, or Maglite if you will. The modern Maglite still has a vintage look in most models. The LED Maglite solitaire, minimag, C size and D size all have that familiar look. There is a classic old school looking D sized LED light and some called the ML series. Now they did continue producing incan lights until 2016.

The new kid on the block was a tube with same dimensions end to end. A MagTac, and the XL series all have the same look from across the room aside from the MagTac being a matte finish type 3 hard annodized coating.

Some say Maglite has a lot of catching up to do to compete with the players coming from over seas. Most models are still designed to be fueled by alkaline batteries. Now many automatically figure that is a death sentence due to a leaking battery.

Being a collector I've managed to accumulate a slew of modern Maglites in the last few years. My favorite was a fairly new version of an old design, the C sized minimag style ML25. Twisty like a minimag with throw in mind. I've managed to own each color available at one time or other but gave away a few to old school non flashaholic folks who were amazed by how far they cast light.

I do not know how many solitaires and aaa minimags I've had but most of those were gifted at some point too. I've got one of each generation of the aa LED minimag but most have been boxed away new in package as simply put I prefer the aaa version. The warm spectrum series put out a nice incan looking beam. The minimags both aa and aaa have greatly reduced output over their cool beam counterparts but still offer plenty of light for most purposes. The solitaire is nearly as bright as its cool white counterpart.

The ML series seem to be where Maglite is setting their sights in the future. The ML25 was a big seller at box stores but are pretty much no longer sold there. The C sized ML50 was or is still a box store available light. Both 2 and 3 cell versions. A D sized ML300 was a box store light too, but like other models, they are not really sold there anymore. There were 2 and 3 cell versions of those.

Maglite is now seemingly going the direct to the consumer route through a web site. Places like Grainger and some flashlight e-stores still carry Maglite products and eBay sellers carried the bulk of the spectrum series where there are blue, red, green and warm LED's available in 4 models. Solitaire, aa and aaa minimags and the XL50. My favorite is the warm aaa minimag.

I like the 2 and 3 cell sized ML100 with an adjustable LED ability to make it pure throw or a large hot spot before twisting the head to adjust the beam. Both are like the ML25 with a seemingly aenemic output and stellar candela numbers. The ML125 is the first dual fuel light since the 3D or rechargeable Pro Design light of the late 1970's. It can use 3 C cells or the supplied rechargeable cell. It also touts the adjustable LED to go with the adjustable head. It was a bit brighter but sacrificed a little candella. Both drill a pencil hole through darkness a lot better than the lumen numbers would have you think.

Speaking of rechargeable, Santa clause dropped off both versions of the ML150. Call it the modern day MagCharger, or not. It's Maglites flag ship light this year with 1000 lumens in the longer (3 c size body) and 800+ in the short (2 c cell sized body) version.

At some point the MagTac will be a radical change for Maglite with a body shaped not that much different than a SureFire Z light of yester year. They have some LX series C and D lights with what is called a grenade grip and matte finish type 3 anodized finish. Santa dropped off some gray and black versions of those.

My favorite part of Maglite products is a carry over from the past. The limited editions. Most are available at the Maglite e-store where a portion of the proceeds goes to a good cause. And then there was the smooth body 40th anniverssary ML300. Unfinished smooth body with 40th silk screened on the tube.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice read. I really am enjoying this ML300lx. The finish is excellent and grippy. My only question is where do I procure all these d batteries to feed this beast. : D I've got a few old lights that run on D cell so I have some. Just not a comfortable amount.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use Rayovacs from Wal Mart or Home Depot. They come in 6 or 8 packs.
Either that or C/D adapters with eneloops in 2 cell lights. If you don't need it for hours and hours at a time those are great. Now that Energizer owns Rayovac the Rayovac NIMH rechargeables have the Energizer label on them so you have that option as well.

My modern Maglite collection began when I used a ML50 and 300 tail stood on eco for a few nights to light my kitchen and bathroom. They provided enough light for Mrs Fixer to knit a stocking cap and scarf by. I was reading a book.

Oh, when not in use twist the tailcap a few degrees to cut the power so the electonic switch won't be doing the parasitic drain thing.

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call it M@g, M*g, or Maglite if you will. The modern Maglite still has a vintage look in most models. The LED Maglite solitaire, minimag, C size and D size all have that familiar look. There is a classic old school looking D sized LED light and some called the ML series. Now they did continue producing incan lights until 2016.

The new kid on the block was a tube with same dimensions end to end. A MagTac, and the XL series all have the same look from across the room aside from the MagTac being a matte finish type 3 hard annodized coating.

Some say Maglite has a lot of catching up to do to compete with the players coming from over seas. Most models are still designed to be fueled by alkaline batteries. Now many automatically figure that is a death sentence due to a leaking battery.

Being a collector I've managed to accumulate a slew of modern Maglites in the last few years. My favorite was a fairly new version of an old design, the C sized minimag style ML25. Twisty like a minimag with throw in mind. I've managed to own each color available at one time or other but gave away a few to old school non flashaholic folks who were amazed by how far they cast light.

I do not know how many solitaires and aaa minimags I've had but most of those were gifted at some point too. I've got one of each generation of the aa LED minimag but most have been boxed away new in package as simply put I prefer the aaa version. The warm spectrum series put out a nice incan looking beam. The minimags both aa and aaa have greatly reduced output over their cool beam counterparts but still offer plenty of light for most purposes. The solitaire is nearly as bright as its cool white counterpart.

The ML series seem to be where Maglite is setting their sights in the future. The ML25 was a big seller at box stores but are pretty much no longer sold there. The C sized ML50 was or is still a box store available light. Both 2 and 3 cell versions. A D sized ML300 was a box store light too, but like other models, they are not really sold there anymore. There were 2 and 3 cell versions of those.

Maglite is now seemingly going the direct to the consumer route through a web site. Places like Grainger and some flashlight e-stores still carry Maglite products and eBay sellers carried the bulk of the spectrum series where there are blue, red, green and warm LED's available in 4 models. Solitaire, aa and aaa minimags and the XL50. My favorite is the warm aaa minimag.

I like the 2 and 3 cell sized ML100 with an adjustable LED ability to make it pure throw or a large hot spot before twisting the head to adjust the beam. Both are like the ML25 with a seemingly aenemic output and stellar candela numbers. The ML125 is the first dual fuel light since the 3D or rechargeable Pro Design light of the late 1970's. It can use 3 C cells or the supplied rechargeable cell. It also touts the adjustable LED to go with the adjustable head. It was a bit brighter but sacrificed a little candella. Both drill a pencil hole through darkness a lot better than the lumen numbers would have you think.

Speaking of rechargeable, Santa clause dropped off both versions of the ML150. Call it the modern day MagCharger, or not. It's Maglites flag ship light this year with 1000 lumens in the longer (3 c size body) and 800+ in the short (2 c cell sized body) version.

At some point the MagTac will be a radical change for Maglite with a body shaped not that much different than a SureFire Z light of yester year. They have some LX series C and D lights with what is called a grenade grip and matte finish type 3 anodized finish. Santa dropped off some gray and black versions of those.

My favorite part of Maglite products is a carry over from the past. The limited editions. Most are available at the Maglite e-store where a portion of the proceeds goes to a good cause. And then there was the smooth body 40th anniverssary ML300. Unfinished smooth body with 40th silk screened on the tube.

Interesting read! :twothumbs But... we need pictures! :poke:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have anything "collectible" per se, but I had a silver, 3xAA MiniMag LED, the original Luxeon III version. I kinda liked it for the freak factor alone, but it also had pretty good throw for a relatively compact light, and didn't have the "sudden death" shutoff the 2xAA version did.

Sadly, that light died via alkaline leakage. I kept it in my desk drawer at work, since we always had AA available. But, I lost track of how long the cells had been in it, and by the time I discovered the problem it was too late.

I showed it to a guy who's real handy at fixing stuff and told him if he could salvage it, he could have it. Unfortunately there was no hope of getting the batteries out and saving the light, so, RIP one MiniMag.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I suppose there was a time where that third battery produced enough extra voltage in the light bulb to make the 3aa minimag quite the thrower since the 2 cell version was already a marvel back in the wack-a-palm light days. 8000 cendella from a match stick sized light bulb? In '84 that was huge. I actually prefer the Luxeon minimag over the newer ones since it had that good old Maglite throw. The 37 lumen solitaire for example is easily able to toss a useable beam 75' or more yet the beam tint isn't bad at all.

It's kinda cool to light up a city block with my 2C sized ML150LRS, sure but the 2C sized ML100 can throw a spot out just about as far with less than 150 lumens. Great for preserving night adapted vision while walking through dense under brush or in foggy conditions. The 3 cell version touts about the same output but has way longer run time potential.

Being I grew up in a time where battery leak was a given we just got in the habit of pulling them out of the light when not in use. Plus those old slider switches were far from good at cutting the circuit completely, so if your batteries didn't leak after a month of storage they'd been sucked dry by the parasitic drain. And back then good ones were pricey like todays CR123. When minimum wages were a buck 20 an hour and an 8 pack of Eveready's was $2 you remembered not to leave them in your fridge mounted 2C Rayovac. Good flashlights were available by the early 70's but most did not want to pay the $20 when an Eveready could be obtained much easier for $2.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I look at the modern lineup offered by Maglite, there appears to be a model for nearly everyone's liking and purpose. From home owner to professional, all shapes and sizes, modes, run times, rechargeable, normal cells fueling and various accessories packages, all the while using quality reliable components.

From what I can see, Maglite has adapted quite handily to modern market needs and definitely has potential to continue to thrive quite well in the LED world, and they are continuing to adapt seemingly monthly. I can envision Maglite being around for yet a long long time.

If I didn't already have all the lights I needed, I would give them a serious look, as it is my wife has a Solitaire LED on her keychain, I still have my optimized old school 2D and I have a previous incan to LED drop-in modified 3D that I use for a knock around light. I was quite interested in the warm spectrum Solitaire models but could never get a hold of any at a reasonable price, so I had to look elsewhere (Sofrn C01). If Maglite had a high CRI collection I would make an exception to my minimalist outlook and obtain a few. They really cover all the bases except for headlamps. Maglite is still pretty cool.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Interesting read! :twothumbs But... we need pictures! :poke:

Unkaaay,

DE86-A3-B0-F7-C6-4-DCE-A20-D-3-DD3-D8478412.jpg

Santa dropped off a matte finish ML150LRSX and 2 cell ML50LX.

8-F966-BA1-7072-4-B48-B95-B-D23813-E328-C1.jpg

Random warm solitaire near the thermostat

3-FE41-AE9-8446-448-A-B650-0-D45-C9886-B23.jpg

The XL family
L to R: 100, 200 and 50 with batteries pulled.

0-E96-BD15-F85-E-48-CD-8-DDF-65-F0-F3-A85-FC3.jpg

ML150LRS and LR

99859-DAC-A2-D8-4-E9-A-A811-64569744665-E.jpg

The LX collection
2 cell ML50, 2 cell ML300, 3 cell ML300 (nine-line edition)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't say that I collect LED Mags, though I have accumulated some. If I were to collect Mags, the LEDs are what I would go with. Seems like most collectors are into the old incan Mags, which aside from colors and markings have changed little in 41 years, while there is much more variety with the LEDs over a much shorter time: 14 years – with lots of different models and a good amount of advancement in technology.

BTW anyone have a Mag Tac or ML300LX in crimson red? I would guess that these are getting hard to find along with coyote tan.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did not set out to collect LED Maglites, it just kinda happened over time. Now I did take advantage of their black friday and Christmas sale though. That was when I bought the stuff that was out of my price range like the new MagCharger(s).

Heck for that matter I didn't set out to collect flashlights period.

My work truck door
9-C279994-B2-BD-4-D7-D-9179-4760-ADAE05-D5.jpg

Both are throwers powered by eneloops with adapters

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
BTW anyone have a Mag Tac or ML300LX in crimson red? I would guess that these are getting hard to find along with coyote tan.

Here ya go.

612-E77-C4-8-B6-E-462-F-BB9-D-BD3-F00-EE68-DF.jpg

2 left at the big river e-store. Seller has good ratings.
Another seller shows a red and a tan in 2 cell but has very poor ratings. Mostly folks saying seller refunded their money after "discovering" they did not actually have the item.

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the Crimson Red on ebay AU for $79.31 US and 35.55 s&h :huh: I hope they become available stateside again? One on Amazon for $128.99 plus shipping.

Last edited:

TorchBear

Newly Enlightened
My 2AAA LED Minimag gets a lot of use, even with a lot of blue in the beam. I still like that twisty semi-focusability from the LED versions, although the price is increasingly hard to justify when one looks at all the top notch budget options available now.

All my other Mags are C cell mods of one stripe or another.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I saw first saw the crimson Mags back when they came out, I thought man, those things are never going to sell and someday collectors will be searching for them. Almost bought one, just because I thought it was a cool looking color.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some old school Maglite owners in my industry have nothing but red ones. And have no interest in any of those "new fangled chinese LED crap" as they call it.
"Winston red or bust" they say. They happlily carry their 6 cell lights like a t-ball bat over the shoulder style.

Maglite does offer a 6 cell ML300 at 650+ lumens with a 71 hour runtime on high. Wow! That's nearly 3 days. I seriously would not expect all 600 lumens for that long. But it is probably still a lot brighter at the end of the fuel cell cycle than the old incan ones and no blown bulb to hassle with. The Popular Mechanics light for this year would make those old school farmers and construction workers take a second look as it touts some 64,000 plus candella. Great for spotting foxes in the hen house or a downed powerline from a safe distance.

I'd like to see some nostalgia solitaires in the future. Sure give us the full output option but perhaps like the minimag pro plus or 019 ML25, an option of around 25% output too. No flashers or blinkys please, a hi/lo option and plenty of throw please. Yet with some light makers claiming 150 or more lumens from a 1x aaa light the solitaire upgrade would probably collect dust on store shelves or in the Maglite warehouse since afterall, lumens sells. Who cares if it microwaves the proprietary battery for 22 seconds then settles to some mediocre output, I can tell my neighbor "this baby puts out 375 lumens from a triple a battery". Speaking of neighbor by the way I was showing my flashaholic wanna be neighbor the 800+ lumens of the ML150LRSX and he said "Maglite makes LED lights now?"
Sigh……

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Speaking of crimson red……

The St Jude edition Solitaire and AA minimag are crimson red.

D7-EFBE88-E35-D-4384-AE38-80-A305792-BA3.jpg

47 lumen solitaire

164-A3584-6-ABF-4934-BE35-0-A2023-DC2-DEF.jpg

127 lumen AA minimag with hi/lo.

So here on the last day of 2020 I bought one of each. A bit of $ goes to St Jude and my Maglite ensemble grows a little.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice!! I really like those MLs with the American flag! What are you guys considering modern? I always thought 1992+ when Mag went to the thinner barrel but honestly incans are starting to get pretty old too so Modern may have to be moved to 2000+ or 2005+. Happy New Year!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my "modern" collection of 1992+ lights.

8i6nJkD.jpg

And here's one of my favorite "modern" mini Maglites. Mr. Fixer, you're a Honda fan too aren't ya??

MEfLXKB.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the thread Lift'd. Your input is greatly appreciated. For those who don't know, Lift'd is a world class Maglite collector and a walking Maglite encyclopedia. He played a big part in the vintage california cop light thread as well.

You raise a good point about when Maglite became modern. Some would argue "They are? Really?" as in some ways they lag behind like no USB charge ports or 18650 friendly. Now to me that's kind of like saying Colt's newest M1911 Combat Elite Commander is outdated because it uses old 1908 German 9mm Luger sized rounds. "The Kimber Rapide Black Ice uses 10mm rounds so it's better" some say. And Maglite still aims much of their line up to be powered by 1950's alkaline fuel cells. Yet like the 9mm and the M1911, the alkaline fuel cell is still pretty popular out in the wild.

So when did the Maglite of 1979 become the modern Maglite? In '92 when they stepped up the accuracy of barrel size and resulting in a lighter weight flashlight? Instead of a sprinkler pipe sized barrel they became more svelt resulting in a tube with less battery rattle. Was it when Tony Maglica and Don Keller developed the LED drop in for the big lights? When the lineup up went all LED? Or when the ML series were introduced?
Hmmmmm.

C50-B0-F36-336-E-4-C1-C-B987-876-CFE17143-E.jpg

Here's prototype #10 of 14 2 cell drop in modules.

I have a couple of 2 and 3 cell LED drop in modules still in the package from around 2006/07 when Tony was probably noticing "this new LED fad seems to be catching on". Back then a 2 and 3D sized light could be had with the ultra modern Luxeon LED with bonus krypton bulb in the tailcap. In about 2009 Maglite topped the magical 100 lumen barrier with the 3D model using a Rebel. An "L" was stamped next to "D" in the serial number. A year later the 131 lumen 2D was available using a CREE.

The 2D classic was upgraded to hi/lo option in 2019.

In 2011 the first ML, the ML100 was introduced. Later that year the dual fuel ML125 was released. They had adjustable LED's and the electronic switch. They were the first with the multi mode option now used in the ML50 and 300.

The ML300 was introduced in 2 and 3 cell versions in mid-2014 and later that year the LX with grenade grip and type 3 annodize.

The ML50 arrived in 2015. Later that year the ML25. The ML50 got the grenade grip and type 3 annodize the same year. The ML25 was available in 2 and 3 cell with the 2 cell getting an upgrade in output, runtime and a hi/lo option in late 2018.

For minimag fans, 2006 saw the first LED model. It lacked a lanyard attachment on the tailcap. The aa in 09 got the famous multimode format and later in the year a lanyard attachment on the tailcap again. So from 06 to late 09 aa minimags did not have lanyard attachments on the LED models. In 2012 is surpassed 100 lumens at 245 with the Pro Plus model. Now it's 330.

The aaa minimag got its first LED in 2012 and reached over 100 lumens in 2015 where it stands today at 115.

The solitaire got it's first LED in 2012 with a 37 lumen Luxeon. It's 47 today.

MagChargers became ML150's. But an LED version was available in 2014.

MagTac arrived in 2012 and could really stand to see an upgrade. One newly shaped one with combat grip was shown at the 2019 SHOT show but has yet to be available.

XL50 and 100 came out in 2010 with the 200 in 2011. XL100's are no longer being produced.

In 2009 Maglite first used heat management in the aa minimag that is now used in their 1000 lumen models like the 4 cell ML300 and both of the ML150's.

So there's a bit of Maglite LED history. Info obtained from flashlight wiki.

Last edited: