Budget Substitute for Elxetta Bones/Surefire DFT

AmadeusChapter

Newly Enlightened
Hey there! I've done a lot of thinking about what I want in a flashlight, and eventually I decided that what I'm looking for is a single-mode (I'm not very smart, so I don't want too many modes), clicky-tailcap, 18650 light. The Elzetta Bones and the Surefire Fury DFT fit the bill, but I'm balking at the price. All I want is a light that turns on and off and runs on an 18650, and I'd like to pay $100 or less for it. Anything like that out there? Thanks!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight polytac X. You can set it to high only with ten-tap.

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
What about the Streamlight Polytac X? Will run 18650 (or 2xCR213A), and you can program it into single-mode only. Looks like it's about $50, a little more if you want their 18650 with it.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
+3, Polytac X is a solid light.

Find me another ~5.5", 1x18650 with those features and that performance, designed AND assembled in U.S.A., with a valid (FL-1 compliant) 3-meter impact rating, for $51 with a cell included (or even without) - and I'll order one tomorrow. Otherwise, ..... I won't hold my breath:)

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna plus 5 the polytac x. Once you get past the programming you have everything you want and more.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the votes are in! Thanks everyone!

Well, stay tuned and I'm sure a few more good suggestions will come in. There are quite a few good choices in that <$100 range, and I imagine after everyone recovers from the holiday, you're bound to hear opinions about more of them. There's a fair bit of experience hanging out around here, and opinions are never in short supply!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This is the first time I've seen this many suggest the same light in my 5 years here. It must be a sign……

Ten tap is easy to do. You half press 9 times quickly and press all the way to click then hold on the tenth one. That changes the light to the next set of modes. If I recall correct Streamlight ten tap products begin as high/lo/flash and ten tap once to get high only.

Only thing I'd suggest is don't hold the light over a shiney table or floor while ten tapping. You'll probably want to look at what is going on and shiney stuff being lit quickly like that on shiney stuff……well lets just say it isn't a completely pleasant experience.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory Seraph. Basically their own P60 Host. They have multiple options for various cell capacities and head sizes. Heck you could even build your own Surefire E series out of their parts if you want although I don't think it would be 18650 compatible.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good idea on the Seraph lightfoot. That one will hold 18mm cells. Seraph with a Malkoff M61 can get the job done in a simplified 1 level approach. But if buying a Malkoff M61 also buy a $2 Scout head adapter ring that is a rubber gasket you sandwich between the Seraph lens and M61 module in order to obtain proper contact of the M61 to the Seraph body. Either that or use the large spring from a P60, but who has a bunch of those lieing around?

I think Mark is actually working on 18mm capable E bodies. Stay tuned for that.

Last edited: