Help with charging a 6xAA Eneloop pack...

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings CPF,

I am hoping to purchase a single DC charger for one of my older (FM I believe) 6xAA carriers for a 2D mag.
Now if just removing all the cells and continuing to use the Eneloop included 4-bay charger is best I'll just do that.

I would like to utilize the DC plug in the end of the battery pack. It would certainly make charging easier.
What should I look for?
I'm assuming a generic charger might not be the best thing here...

Please educate me and send me off in the right direction to spend MORE money!

Thanks in advance,
GB

This is the unit I am referring to.

10e3a4f79b432f0c7e00700492c67fe0.jpg

e344380b9dbbbac0c98e8ecc26fb5f78.jpg

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
you could probably get away with charging them in series / parallel like that in an emergency but it`s not a good idea, it`s best to charge each cell individually and then try match them up as close as you can afterwards. it`s mismatched cells that cause the problems and that`s hard to monitor or correct when charged as a bundle like that. get an 8 bay charger that will do NiMH cells and that`ll be your safest bet for long term use of your batts. ;)

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok cool!

Thanks!!!!

I'll start researching an 8-bay,

I do have a Tenergy charger for my "C" and "D" NiMH cells, guess I could use it. I totally forgot I had it.

It may be a 4-bay though.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
well it doesn`t have to be an 8 bay it just makes it easier to keep everything even, you could use a pair of those Tenergy`s instead and it should work if you keep and eye on them or even a different brand but that can make things a bit uneven.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok cool!

Thanks!!!!

I'll start researching an 8-bay,

I do have a Tenergy charger for my "C" and "D" NiMH cells, guess I could use it. I totally forgot I had it.

It may be a 4-bay though.

Maha makes a few 8 bay chargers that are well regarded. Anywhere from $65-$100.

Chris

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am hoping to purchase a single DC charger for one of my older (FM I believe) 6xAA carriers for a 2D mag.

10e3a4f79b432f0c7e00700492c67fe0.jpg

Are you looking for something like this?
https://www.batteryspace.com/Multi-...9-1.8-A-For-6V---12V-NiMH-/-NiCd-Battery.aspx

You can recharge all 6 Eneloops without removing from holder.
Just connect 7.2V output DC jack to female side of battery holder. Charger will stop charging after fully recharged.
It's always good to balance charging each cells separately once a while.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

sbj

Newly Enlightened
A 6V-12V charger for a 2,4V battery?
If that works out?? :shakehead

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The charger says it reads the voltage needed, and adjusts accordingly. The pack reads just over 8V with no load.

I can usually trust any recommendations made by FM.

Should I not?

sbj

Newly Enlightened
So far I have assumed that one D cell has been replaced by three AA cells connected in parallel. That would have been a 2s3p circuit.

If you now say about 8V, then this is a pure 6s series connection. Then the charger fits perfectly and I take back all my warnings. :thumbsup:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 6V-12V charger for a 2,4V battery?
The white battery holder with 6 Eneloops are connected all in series or nominally 7.2 volts, and battery charger I suggested can charge any battery pack of 5 cells, 6 cells, 7 cells, 8 cells, 9 cells and 10 cells if they are NiMH and connected in series.
As Green stated in post #10 charger can detect battery total voltage (number of cells) and charge accordingly.
A 2.4 volt pack of 3 parallel AA as first cell and D size as second cell in series not recommended to make such a pack or charge the pack.